Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Check in with Nexus Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've used both NEXUS and passport in the GE machines at YVR. The one difference is that if you use your passport, you don't need to fill out the customs declaration form.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
You are incorrect. Doubly incorrect, actually. First of all, it asks for a "travel document", not "a passport" as people with green cards can use Global Entry machines with their green card.
Actually, you are incorrect here. Those with green cards must use it, it's not that they can. My wife used to always try her passport, and it always told her to insert her permanent resident card instead. I forget the exact wording it uses.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:36 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've used both NEXUS and passport in the GE machines at YVR. The one difference is that if you use your passport, you don't need to fill out the customs declaration form.
If you use your NEXUS cards in the GE machine, you don't have to fill out a customs form. If you use your NEXUS card in a NEXUS machine, you do have to fill out a customs card. There are no longer NEXUS machines traveling into the USA in transborder airports as far as I recall as they have all been replaced with GE machines I believe. That has been my experience anyway

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Actually, you are incorrect here. Those with green cards must use it, it's not that they can. My wife used to always try her passport, and it always told her to insert her permanent resident card instead. I forget the exact wording it uses.
Ok, I'll take it.

Back to *United Airlines*:

UA might give you trouble using your NEXUS card only without passport even though it is clearly allowed by both countries (so long as you are a citizen of one or the other). Passport is recommended. Air Canada is better at accepting NEXUS only. Be prepared to put up a fight and stand your ground. Have TIMATIC printouts with you. It is easier to travel into the US than out of the US because you pre-clear. That said, hopefully UA has gotten better in this regard recently; I haven't attempted it recently as my passport hasn't been out for visas for extended periods lately.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:56 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
- Even using it as your only document to pass through the border is a bit risky. The language I've seen over the years have never been conclusive, and most I've seen refer to a Nexus being valid in a kiosk only. That means if the kiosks are down for any reason, or you get sent to secondary, you are no longer using a kiosk, and I'd say I get asked for Nexus card and passport almost everytime I've been sent to secondary over the years (either because I've declared something, or random).
- It's just easier to have a passport with you - if you don't get asked for it, its no big deal, if you do and you don't have it, even if you are right, in an argument between a traveler (even with a page from a website) and a immigration/customs officer, the officer always wins.
Not conclusive?

Q: Other than a passport, what types of documents are acceptable for air travel?

A: Individuals traveling by air within the Western Hemisphere are required to present a passport for admission to the U.S. with limited exceptions.

This Final Rule outlines two additional documents that are acceptable for air travel. The first is the Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) issued by the U.S. Coast Guard that will be acceptable for use under WHTI by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business. The other document is the NEXUS card, for which enrollment is limited to citizens of Canada and the United States, lawful permanent residents of the United States and permanent residents of Canada.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-air-faq

All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../619/related/1

Can I use my NEXUS card as proof of identification and citizenship in non-NEXUS lanes when entering Canada?

Yes. If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, and a NEXUS member, you may use your membership card as proof of identification and citizenship when entering Canada by land, air (when coming from the U.S.) or boat when using non-NEXUS lanes.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

(emphases added)

Hidden in the WHTI CFR is one obscure reference to a "NEXUS Air Card" which has been supplanted by CBP directives which you can FOIA if you like. The bit about "kiosks only" seems debunked by the "non-NEXUS lanes" part.

It is high time for *United Airlines* and other carriers to step up to the plate and accept NEXUS cards for their original intended purpose. They have three raised logos on them, not two.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Ari
If you use your NEXUS cards in the GE machine, you don't have to fill out a customs form. If you use your NEXUS card in a NEXUS machine, you do have to fill out a customs card.
Thanks for the correction. I haven't tried in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by Ari
Be prepared to put up a fight and stand your ground.
And be prepared to make alternate arrangements because you can't win. SFO is particularly egregious about this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jan 27, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And be prepared to make alternate arrangements because you can't win. SFO is particularly egregious about this.
I'm fortunate that I only did the gauntlet twice; once I was on Air Canada and didn't get a second look (checked in online without issue both ways). The other time I was on United. It took some work in the GS room at ORD (two agents and a phone call) and a note was put in the record for the gate agent (who didn't trust the note and read TIMATIC for himself). But it worked. On the way back, I was able to check in online (with stored passport data) and it wasn't an issue at the gate as I was already pre-cleared and it was contract staff working the gate anyway that was borrowed from Air Canada, I think. I had no issues at the border even though I had commercial goods to declare both ways both times and had to speak to a CBP/CBSA officer in each direction on each trip.

Those were the only two times my passport was out for visas and I had to travel without it. Every other time I have used my passport for airline check-in with United; I use NEXUS card with Air Canada "just because" and they seem setup for that. I recommend using a passport, but that recommendation is no excuse for airlines like United not to step up to the plate and do what is right.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
Not conclusive?
It is high time for *United Airlines* and other carriers to step up to the plate and accept NEXUS cards for their original intended purpose. They have three raised logos on them, not two.
I'm aware of what different places say. I'm also aware of the responses I've gotten from both customs officials (mostly in the Nexus office) and airline personal willing to accept these items only.

Even if we agree that if you need to do more than a machine (i.e. secondary, machine not working, etc.) and the immigration officer is ok with a Nexus card only (and we are certainly not agreeing to that - last time I came to YYZ for example, we arrived late - I think around 12:30am...long story...and with our 2 year-old who can't use the machine, and since the special services line was closed at that point, had to use the regular line - agent insisted on passports - that's just one example from over the years). Even if we accepted that premis, you still have to know that airline personal will accept it.

Maybe unfortunately, but it is what it is, airline employees checking ID may or may not accept Nexus as the ID used to check in/board an aircraft to Canada. A check in kiosk certainly won't. The fact is, the airlines have their own set of proof they want to see which may or may not match what CBSA/CBP uses. So it's their right to deny boarding if you don't show a passport. Maybe you will get on. Maybe you will after initial denial, and a fight (doubtful). Or maybe you'll just be denied boarding. You can certainly fight on principal, report to the DOT, etc., as long as that takes, but meanwhile, if the goal is to be on that scheduled flight, any option besides having a passport with you will not make that guarantee, IMO and IME,

If it was a pain to carry your passport, then sure, it might be worth the argument at the airport. But a passport book is not a pain to bring or handle - simply tuck away in a pocket, purse or bag and bring out if you need it and the Nexus card doesn't work. I have tried enough in the past, and when they didn't accept it, just handed over my passport - but in the end, realized its easier to skip the first part and hand over my passport. Incidentally, this works every time on the first try, no argument needed, and I get to the lounge faster.

What others want to do, of course, is up to them - I'm just stating my point of view. But we can be pretty confident that Nexus isn't so well known outside of Canada, so that it just isn't that easy to use for that purpose.

<rant over>
Old May 26, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Absolutely disgraceful that United can't get their act together on Nexus. I travelled DEN-YVR and unable to check in online and at the airport, the agent couldn't issue a boarding pass without a passport. If NEXUS is good enough for CBP, it should be ok for United. Their computer system doesn't seem to accept NEXUS as a valid travel document.

My travel colleague had the same problem and ended up with a BP that didn't have 'Pre-Check' printed on it so got turned around at security for being in the wrong lane, despite having NEXUS and basically being 'qualified' for that line. At least my BP had Pre-Check on it and lucky we both had our passports with us.

This should be a really simple fix for United, I don't know why they can't do it, its apparent this is not a one off incident from this thread.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by HeyAussie
My travel colleague had the same problem and ended up with a BP that didn't have 'Pre-Check' printed on it so got turned around at security for being in the wrong lane, despite having NEXUS and basically being 'qualified' for that line.
Even if you have have paid for PreCheck or are otherwise qualified, you are not guaranteed to get it every time. That's intentionally part of the program. You can even be hit with SSSS.

And (tangentially on topic) in case you haven't been notified, you no longer have to fill out the paper declaration when entering Canada with a Nexus card.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I just carry my passport anyway.

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
You will need your passport to use the Global Entry machines at YYZ. Bring your passport.
False. Completely false.

Originally Posted by Fa Hz
I have used the Global Entry kiosks in YUL and YYZ and it always asks for a passport, never nexus card. I simply follow instructions so i never challenged that. The nexus card i only use it when entering Canada. Can i just put my nexus card instead of my passport in those machines?
No, it asks for a travel document. Indeed, as mentioned, green card holders are not even allowed to use their passport or NEXUS card in the machines - at any airport.

Originally Posted by Ari
You are incorrect. Doubly incorrect, actually. First of all, it asks for a "travel document", not "a passport" as people with green cards can use Global Entry machines with their green card. Secondly, NEXUS cards work in Global Entry machines in Canadian pre-clearance airports only, but not in other airports.
Actually, I've had my NEXUS card work in machines that weren't at a preclearance airport, but I think that was only at ORD off flights from Canada.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Canadian citizens can use the Nexus card at GE kiosks. US citizens have to use the passport. But Nexus card is accepted at counter (at least in YYC)
I'd say I have a 20% success rate boarding a plane to Canada in Denver with just the Nexus card.
US Citizens DO NOT have to use their passport at GE kiosks in preclearance airports. That is false. They can use NEXUS cards.

As for boarding, AC agents always accept NEXUS for boarding and check in. OAL are not quite as consistent, but experienced agents are usually decent at allowing NEXUS.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Although I understand the desire to travel without one's passport when you travel constantly but also need to get several visas issued, the long and short of it is that there is no 100% guarantee that you will be able to successfully travel to the US and return to Canada by air with only NEXUS.

It is an airline issue and your best bet is to take Air Canada if you must attempt this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.