Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any plans of removal of DirecTV from the 737 fleet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any plans of removal of DirecTV from the 737 fleet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:37 am

I actually LIKE having live TV on the aircraft, for similar reasons others have mentioned, live news & live sports. It's one of the reasons I fly B6. I can't believe UA charges for it though. I always carry a slim sleep mask in my laptop bag in case I ever have difficulty dozing off.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
I *would* love to know how long the contract was for. I previously tried to Google that but had no luck
I'd like to know too. I assume its a lengthy contract given the install and hardware costs upfront and the need to recoup them and make a return.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
I think we can agree that the LiveTV system isn't going anywhere on the 737 and 753 fleets that have it. United has switched to PDE on every frame it can, so I think this shows their unhappiness with the product as well. Unfortunately for all of us, the contract persists. And I'm positive that the details of that contract are not published publicly.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tods27
I thought that this was covered several times in the past. IIRC, the Directv install was paid for by DirecTV and will stay as long as the contract is in place for those planes. I don't know what the length of the contract is, but a search should yield more info on this.
My understanding too, if plane has direct tv it will continue to
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
off topic, how are the QC35's? I'm looking into them, waiting for some kind of sale to drop them down a bit.
I Like mine. I can leave my phone in the seat, and listen to music while walking to the lav on a widebody lol.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Pros if DirecTV is removed:
1) More space under the seat (box is gone)
2) darker cabin on night flights
3) no more listening to that stupid WELCOME ABOARD WITH DIRECTV YOUR FLIGHT WILL FLY RIGHT BY HAHAHA commercial

Cons if DirecTV is removed:
1) If the plane is delayed the captain can no longer say "folks I'm giving you all free TV for this flight"

I vote remove. Broadcast TV is on its way out anyways, I'd rather have fast streaming like they do on B6.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by itsMoe
2) darker cabin on night flights
3) no more listening to that stupid WELCOME ABOARD WITH DIRECTV YOUR FLIGHT WILL FLY RIGHT BY HAHAHA commercial

Cons if DirecTV is removed:
1) If the plane is delayed the captain can no longer say "folks I'm giving you all free TV for this flight"

I vote remove. Broadcast TV is on its way out anyways, I'd rather have fast streaming like they do on B6.
At least on my last UA flight (a red-eye flight from OGG-SFO), the Captain came on the PA and not only asked people to switch off the screens if they weren't using them, but told people how to do it too! ^

That said, I still want to see those systems gone. They're horrible if you happen to get one on a Hawaii to Mainland US flight when the wifi doesn't work.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:30 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by EWR764
All UA aircraft equipped with hard-wired AVOD have Panasonic eXport installed.

I've never once seen it used, though.
I have one. It worked ok, but the one I have is the old iPod connector, so not much use to me any more! Besides, most of the planes I'm on these days don't have them, as far as I've been able to tell.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:32 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
I Like mine. I can leave my phone in the seat, and listen to music while walking to the lav on a widebody lol.
I like mine, too. I haven't ripped the connector out of my ear since I switched to them! I tend to keep my iPhone in my pocket, tho, but I do listen on the way to (and in!) the lav...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It was so worth paying $5 on Friday night to see Usain Bolt win gold medal #9.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd rather have fast streaming like they do on B6.
It is not necessarily an "or" decision. UA has the same wifi hardware as JetBlue on board (and a newer TV kit) and could offer identical connectivity performance if it wanted to and had a way to pay for it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
For example, United is adding boarding music on DTV aircraft only: We have boarding music on our wide body aircraft and it will be coming soon to all aircraft with DIRECTV, which is almost 500 aircraft – most of our mainline fleet. We will have an upbeat playlist custom for United boarding.
Does "soon" mean by 10/1?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I'm on the keep side myself -- hate the lack of PDE selections and no live news content... But I'm currently on one of the PDE only/no power 73Gs inherited from COPA right now and it's arguably worse than the A319/320.... Anyway, still has the giant box under the seats, at least in F
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:59 pm

OK. Just got back from my trip. The Directv was fantastic. A lifesaver that enhanced my flying experience. Whenever I've not liked the main movie, I would bring my portable DVD player with some prerecorded movies. The fact that Directv offered TV shows was more pleasant than an actual movie. My return was on the same plane. A 737-900. My return flight did not offer Directv. OMG...what a difference.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 24, 2016 at 4:23 pm Reason: split post; moved PDE content to PDE thread
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
It was so worth paying $5 on Friday night to see Usain Bolt win gold medal #9.
50cents per second

Is there a ban on UA adding PDE in addition to leaving the DTV setup in place? That would solve things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.