Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie View Post
Since the LAS-DEN is relatively short, I don't want to use the RPU if only that flight clears. Can I ask to have it applied only to PHL-DEN and then if that upgrade clears, ask to have the same RPU extended to DEN-LAS?

I'm 1K, never used a RPU before.
Yes, but it can't be done online. You have to call.

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, but it can't be done online. You have to call.
Thanks. Is that a good practice to call to remove the RPU from a short segment, and then only call to add it back if the longer segment clears?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by roxie
Thanks. Is that a good practice to call to remove the RPU from a short segment, and then only call to add it back if the longer segment clears?
Yes, it's a reasonably common strategy on FT if you're flying a mixed route like that.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can call and ask what an agent sees. UA may need to resync the ticket.

A trick that can work for the eReceipt is to request online for the eReceipt to be send -- that will update the receipt.
How do I request this eReceipt?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by br2k
How do I request this eReceipt?
Go to your Manage Reservations / View All Reservations and it is an option for each reservation
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
If I book a trip using miles (or upgrade using miles) do I get PQMs for that?

Scenario # 1 - I book a RT, TPA-LHR using miles - do I get the PQMS?
Scenario # 2 - I upgrade a ticket from E to P, does that qualify for 200% (or 300% depending on Fare class) PQMs?

Thank you! Sorry for the dumb question!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Go to your Manage Reservations / View All Reservations and it is an option for each reservation
Thanks! I tried that, no change.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jonisflying
If I book a trip using miles (or upgrade using miles) do I get PQMs for that?
1 no miles
2 miles for original ticket, no extra PQMs for using miles
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
2 miles for original ticket, no extra PQMs for using miles
And if you upfare, you'll get 200% PQM for discount F, 300% PQM for full fare F
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
And if you upfare, you'll get 200% PQM for discount F, 300% PQM for full fare F
It depends when and how you do it.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It depends when and how you do it.
Well, true upfares do give you the extra PQMs. Upgrades, on the other hand, don't.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Well, true upfares do give you the extra PQMs. Upgrades, on the other hand, don't.
United markets them both as upgrades, so it's not always easy to tell which one you get.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:44 pm

On Friday I changed a flight to one that ended up being cheaper than my original flight and was told I'd receive a credit for the difference. The woman that I was on the phone with told me to call back if I didn't have the email by Monday. On Monday I called and was told they would request a new one and I would receive it within 3 business days. 4 business days later (today) I called back and was told it was actually 7 business days from the date of the change. Does anyone know how long this actually should be taking? I'm antsy to get it because I want to use it to book a flight for Christmas before prices get too high.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by lifeinspace
On Friday I changed a flight to one that ended up being cheaper than my original flight and was told I'd receive a credit for the difference. The woman that I was on the phone with told me to call back if I didn't have the email by Monday. On Monday I called and was told they would request a new one and I would receive it within 3 business days. 4 business days later (today) I called back and was told it was actually 7 business days from the date of the change. Does anyone know how long this actually should be taking? I'm antsy to get it because I want to use it to book a flight for Christmas before prices get too high.
I usually email in about such issues, mention the ticket number, and get a reply in about 2-3 days. (One human reply, with a simultaneous email being sent containing the ETC.)

However I've never emailed in before 1-2 weeks have passed since the change, so I can't say whether or not there's some artificial limit. In theory the ETC is supposed to arrive immediately, so I'm guessing the "7 days" is made up. In your place I'd suggest emailing them so that there's a paper trace of your request.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by lifeinspace
For me, when a refund was due, I received an ETC exactly 7 days after I cancelled my trip (without counting the day I cancelled). I have another refund due and I'm giving it the same grace period before calling.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by televisor
I usually email in about such issues, mention the ticket number, and get a reply in about 2-3 days. (One human reply, with a simultaneous email being sent containing the ETC.)

However I've never emailed in before 1-2 weeks have passed since the change, so I can't say whether or not there's some artificial limit. In theory the ETC is supposed to arrive immediately, so I'm guessing the "7 days" is made up. In your place I'd suggest emailing them so that there's a paper trace of your request.
For me, when a refund was due, I received an ETC exactly 7 days after I cancelled my trip (without counting the day I cancelled). I have another refund due and I'm giving it the same grace period before calling.
Thanks guys! I'll give it the 7 days and then email in if I haven't got anything for the paper trace

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.