Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Options if I miss Risky Connection Flt: CPH > LHR > SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying economy CPH to SFO with a risky connection (1h 5m) in LHR. If I miss my flight in LHR or my flight out of CPH is delayed, what are my options? A quick search doesn't show any economy class seats available on United for either CPH>SFO or LHR>SFO on the day of travel.

-------
SK 503 Operated By Scandinavian Airlines
12:00 pm Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
1:05 pm London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)

United Airlines UA 949
2:10 pm London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)
5:05 pm San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Leaving CPH at noon, it will be difficult. Your best option would be LH to MUC from which a late flight to SFO on LH departs at 16:00 - and there's a 12:40 which will connect to it. But that only helps if it's already known that the flight to LHR will be late. My experience of SAS (4 out of 4 this year) is that they show the flight on-time then don't start boarding until too late to depart on-time. Sometimes they make it up, sometimes not.

1hr 5m is just enough time to transfer at LHR, as long as you are a fast walker, but it's quite likely that your bags won't make it.

UA has several later flights out of LHR, but you won't arrive at SFO, assuming there's even space, until very late. You could demand to be put on another airline at LHR. VS has a 15:50 to SFO, but you'll have to hustle to make that, especially if you have to argue with UA even to get put on it.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
UA has several later flights out of LHR, but you won't arrive at SFO, assuming there's even space, until very late. You could demand to be put on another airline at LHR. VS has a 15:50 to SFO, but you'll have to hustle to make that, especially if you have to argue with UA even to get put on it.
Thank you for your reply. I have very little experience with being rebooked, so apologies for the novice questions. So, I can request to have them book me on a non-partner airline like Virgin Atlantic? I'm assuming it is only if they have space available in that class.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by wearble
Thank you for your reply. I have very little experience with being rebooked, so apologies for the novice questions. So, I can request to have them book me on a non-partner airline like Virgin Atlantic? I'm assuming it is only if they have space available in that class.
you can request, but doubt they'd be willing (try being very kind, but don't back down).

But I'll also echo lhrsfo's comments - 1 hour 5mins should be fine. I actually took SK 503 a few weeks back connecting to NZ1. Even with our flight having to circle LHR for ~15 mins, we still landed on time. You'll stay in terminal 2, but will have to recheck security (follow the purple transit signs). There was not a single person in the security lines, so cleared in minutes. From there it's a short walk to the A gates in T2, where all the airline desks are. If you already have your boarding pass for UA (SK should put it all on one BP), then head straight for the B gates. That'll be the longest part. I think from stepping off the flight and to the UA club (near where UA 949 will depart) it was about ~30mins.

If for some reason SK 503 ends up very delayed and you have no chance to make your connection, then stop by the SK desk after you come through security and get them to help rebook you.

Good luck - I really think you'll be fine!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if you miss it, ask them to put you on NZ1 to LAX then a UA flight to SFO. NZ1 leaves at 4:15pm most days and arrives LAX at 7:30ish. you could still get to SFO by 10pm or so.

they would probably be willing to do this since it is all *A.

if you know ahead of time that SK503 is delayed, you could ask to be put on the direct flight from CPH to SFO which leaves at about 12:30pm.

finally, there ought to also be another *A option from LHR late day -- AC from LHR to YVR, then to SFO, departing 4:15pm arriving around 10.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm flying economy CPH to SFO with a risky connection (1h 5m) in LHR. If I miss my flight in LHR or my flight out of CPH is delayed, what are my options? A quick search doesn't show any economy class seats available on United for either CPH>SFO or LHR>SFO on the day of travel.

-------
SK 503 Operated By Scandinavian Airlines
12:00 pm Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
1:05 pm London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)

United Airlines UA 949
2:10 pm London, GB (LHR - Heathrow)
5:05 pm San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)
If you were in an upgrade, I would worry. But being in coach, the worst is that you will be rerouted to another coach route. If you are lucky, you might be upgraded.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
If you were in an upgrade, I would worry. But being in coach, the worst is that you will be rerouted to another coach route. If you are lucky, you might be upgraded.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jmanirish
you can request, but doubt they'd be willing (try being very kind, but don't back down).

But I'll also echo lhrsfo's comments - 1 hour 5mins should be fine. I actually took SK 503 a few weeks back connecting to NZ1. Even with our flight having to circle LHR for ~15 mins, we still landed on time. You'll stay in terminal 2, but will have to recheck security (follow the purple transit signs). There was not a single person in the security lines, so cleared in minutes. From there it's a short walk to the A gates in T2, where all the airline desks are. If you already have your boarding pass for UA (SK should put it all on one BP), then head straight for the B gates. That'll be the longest part. I think from stepping off the flight and to the UA club (near where UA 949 will depart) it was about ~30mins.

If for some reason SK 503 ends up very delayed and you have no chance to make your connection, then stop by the SK desk after you come through security and get them to help rebook you.

Good luck - I really think you'll be fine!
Great information! Thank you for the help!

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if you miss it, ask them to put you on NZ1 to LAX then a UA flight to SFO. NZ1 leaves at 4:15pm most days and arrives LAX at 7:30ish. you could still get to SFO by 10pm or so.

they would probably be willing to do this since it is all *A.

if you know ahead of time that SK503 is delayed, you could ask to be put on the direct flight from CPH to SFO which leaves at about 12:30pm.

finally, there ought to also be another *A option from LHR late day -- AC from LHR to YVR, then to SFO, departing 4:15pm arriving around 10.
Thanks for the helpful info! I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what "*A" is.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Thanks for the helpful info! I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what "*A" is.
Shorthand for "Star Alliance" which UA helped create -- one of the three major alliances for airlines. SAS/SK is also *A.
wearble likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Shorthand for "Star Alliance" which UA helped create -- one of the three major alliances for airlines. SAS/SK is also *A.
Thank you! Should've been obvious to me.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
If you are running tight, catch the cart in the B area of T2. You will go down the escalators to the moving sidewalk. The drivers are located at the base of the escalators. They will drive you to the elevator which goes upstairs to the gate. Give the driver a few pounds/dollars/euros for the service. It will save you 10-15 minutes walking.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I'm actually doing a similar connection, plenty of economy seats still going though on my day of travel (mainly via ORD or YYZ, unless you want to overnight in EWR).

I imagine not all of those flights will be 100% full, in which case they might op-up other passengers to make space for an extra economy seat??
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
If you are running tight, catch the cart in the B area of T2. You will go down the escalators to the moving sidewalk. The drivers are located at the base of the escalators. They will drive you to the elevator which goes upstairs to the gate. Give the driver a few pounds/dollars/euros for the service. It will save you 10-15 minutes walking.
Great idea! Thank you!

Originally Posted by televisor
I'm actually doing a similar connection, plenty of economy seats still going though on my day of travel (mainly via ORD or YYZ, unless you want to overnight in EWR).

I imagine not all of those flights will be 100% full, in which case they might op-up other passengers to make space for an extra economy seat??
Hopefully so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.