Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing Emirates and United

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 11:51 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TOPIC CHECK

Please remember that this is a discussion about comparing Emirates vs United

goalie
UA Forum C0-Moderator
Old May 25, 2016, 3:56 am

After flying over 20K miles in EK J over the past few weeks, I didn't find it to be any better than United. EK's seats, while comfortable, are narrow and offer little privacy. ICE offers a good selection (especially if you want to branch beyond English-language Western content), but I've found it to be buggy and inconsistent from plane to plane. Like United, there are variations in crews. It appears EK's service flows and policies are rigorously enforced, which leads to a more consistent experience, but little opportunity to accommodate variations. For example, I requested the express breakfast on a short red eye. I ended up waking earlier and asked for the full breakfast, which was declined since I already placed my order. I found drink refills to be lacking on EK, except the one flight were I was the only passenger in the forward J cabin on a 777. I've had a greater variation of service on United, but I've found crews to be more accommodating and personable. EK's food was nothing impressive, though there were some good wines and a few bad ones. Ultimately, I would much rather eat BF food, but drink EK champagne.

One area where EK really stands out is with hot towels. They are thick, hot, nicely scented and offered frequently. The flights were also dirt cheap: my 7 flights on EK cost 40% more than my 2 flights home on LH/UA that were shorter than my longest EK flight.

Now, I haven't flown EK F but the hard product is clearly leaps and bounds over GF. I think it's probably better to compare EK J and BF where the two go head to head.

For me, EK and United serve very different networks. As a US-based passenger, I'm not going to fly EK to Europe, Latin America, Australia or Asia. However, if I'm going to the Middle East, Africa, and destinations in Southeast Asia outside of BOM and DEL, EK is a great option.

Last edited by goalie; May 25, 2016 at 10:47 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post and response thereto
Old May 25, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by fly18725
After flying over 20K miles in EK J over the past few weeks, I didn't find it to be any better than United. EK's seats, while comfortable, are narrow and offer little privacy. ICE offers a good selection (especially if you want to branch beyond English-language Western content), but I've found it to be buggy and inconsistent from plane to plane. Like United, there are variations in crews. It appears EK's service flows and policies are rigorously enforced, which leads to a more consistent experience, but little opportunity to accommodate variations. For example, I requested the express breakfast on a short red eye. I ended up waking earlier and asked for the full breakfast, which was declined since I already placed my order. I found drink refills to be lacking on EK, except the one flight were I was the only passenger in the forward J cabin on a 777. I've had a greater variation of service on United, but I've found crews to be more accommodating and personable. EK's food was nothing impressive, though there were some good wines and a few bad ones. Ultimately, I would much rather eat BF food, but drink EK champagne.

One area where EK really stands out is with hot towels. They are thick, hot, nicely scented and offered frequently. The flights were also dirt cheap: my 7 flights on EK cost 40% more than my 2 flights home on LH/UA that were shorter than my longest EK flight.

Now, I haven't flown EK F but the hard product is clearly leaps and bounds over GF. I think it's probably better to compare EK J and BF where the two go head to head.

For me, EK and United serve very different networks. As a US-based passenger, I'm not going to fly EK to Europe, Latin America, Australia or Asia. However, if I'm going to the Middle East, Africa, and destinations in Southeast Asia outside of BOM and DEL, EK is a great option.
You make some good points. As a UA 1K 3MMer & an EK PLAT IO I've seen the best and worst of both airlines. I'm very lucky in that my travel is all F (so my UA flights are actually LH/LX/NH code shares (I would not pay for UA GF - I find it almost insulting that they sell those seats). But if I was flying in J, I'm not sure EK would still be my choice, what you say about the seats is unfortunately true. I find it very bizarre that an airline such as EK that wrote the book on luxury first class travel has a biz product that is so far below airlines like CX/SQ and comfort wise are not any better then UA's (and in some cases worse). But.........what saves EK J (IMO) is the sheer number of A380'S in the fleet. The F suites are the same on the 77W & the 380 but in J it's like 2 different airlines. the 77W looks cramped and uncomfortable in J while the 380 has truly lay flat private seats and the onboard lounge can make a big difference on a long haul.

I'm a little surprised about you comments about the drinks service in J but have no first hand experience. I can say that in F I have to beg them to STOP bringing me refills.

I guess without differing points of view the only point of FT would be upgrades and free flights . It is interesting to read the experiences of others when phrased the way your post was (leaving out complaints such as the shape of the hot towel or the lack of enough cherries for an extra Ice cream sundae

Last edited by goalie; May 25, 2016 at 10:49 am Reason: edited opted ost to match edited original post and removed comments per mod note
Old May 25, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I find it very bizarre that an airline such as EK that wrote the book on luxury first class travel has a biz product that is so far below airlines like CX/SQ and comfort wise are not any better then UA's (and in some cases worse). But.........what saves EK J (IMO) is the sheer number of A380'S in the fleet. The F suites are the same on the 77W & the 380 but in J it's like 2 different airlines. the 77W looks cramped and uncomfortable in J while the 380 has truly lay flat private seats and the onboard lounge can make a big difference on a long haul.
I agree it is somewhat bizarre. I don't find the 380 J seat that much better and find it hard to tell that the 77W seat isn't fully flat. The lounge does make a big difference, particularly since on the 77W there's very little space that's not in the galley.

I guess without differing points of view the only point of FT would be upgrades and free flights . It is interesting to read the experiences of others when phrased the way your post was (leaving out complaints such as the shape of the hot towel or the lack of enough cherries for an extra Ice cream sundae
I agree this is a good discussion with interesting points. I was thinking more about why I mentioned the hot towels and realized it's indicative of a bigger distinction with EK: attention to small details. There are lots of little touches in flight, like putting the cheese course on a piece of slate, that EK does well, partially to offset for the weaker hard product. I think United is focused on offering a better hard product, which is nice when your primary focus on an international flight is to sleep.

I also find it much easier to do business with United. The website, apps, call center and airport staff are much more efficient and effective.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:48 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I fly Emirates from the US to Europe and back a few times a year in J on A380. I far prefer it to UA F or J. Some comparisons:

- EK includes car service on both ends

- UA has nicer ambiance in the GF lounge at SFO, but there are far better F&B offerings in the EK lounges. I was last in the UA GF lounge in March and was told they would not get out Veuve until whatever prosecco they had was gone. EK offers a full self-serve bar as well as Veuve at minimum. EK's food is plentiful - full buffet dinner offerings. Quality is average; it's not the LH F lounge, but it's not bad.

- EK generally offers boarding from the lounge in MXP

- I don't get pre-check flying EK since they are not a participating carrier. Fortunately, I get a premium line, so it's shorter. I would not fly EK if I had to stand in the regular TSA line.

- Wines and alcohol on EK are superior to UA. On-board bar on EK. EK makes me perfectly acceptable Manhattans.

- I request vegan meals on EK and receive beautiful food. They are the only carrier I get this on. UA has horrible veg meals.

- Personal minibar on EK means FAs don't come around too often with water and beverages, but it's at my seat or at the full bar in the back.

- FAs on EK are quick to pick up glasses rather than refill them. I find I need to protect my glass from the minibar or lose it.

- Amenity kit on EK is Bulgari. Larger lav on EK.

- Entertainment- I don't use much, but EK has the cameras mounted on the plane so you can watch takeoff/landing.

- I generally prefer EK's FAs, but they are not without lapses. They sometimes gather at the bar and chat.

- I have no complaints about the seat/bed on either carrier. I like the privacy of the seat on the side on EK.

- EK offers wifi for $1, but it's slow and buggy. UA's more expensive wifi works much better, ime.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I fly Emirates from the US to Europe and back a few times a year in J on A380. I far prefer it to UA F or J. Some comparisons:

This is a great touch. And the fact it's offered in so many cities to both F and J customers without making them jump thru hoops is fantastic.

- UA has nicer ambiance in the GF lounge at SFO, but there are far better F&B offerings in the EK lounges. I was last in the UA GF lounge in March and was told they would not get out Veuve until whatever prosecco they had was gone. EK offers a full self-serve bar as well as Veuve at minimum. EK's food is plentiful - full buffet dinner offerings. Quality is average; it's not the LH F lounge, but it's not bad.

UAs GF lounge in SFO is unfortunately the only quality lounge UA has in the US. But as you mentioned the F & B offerings are a joke in this day and age. What's nice about the EK lounges outside Dubai is the CONSISTANCY. I know that regardless of where I am, be it Colombo or JFK, the lounges at EK will pretty much offer the same product with the only real difference being the local cuisine changing. But where EK really stands out is the F lounges in DXB. I find them as good if not better then even LHs F terminal but that's a personal preference that can be argues to death. It depends what's important to you. A private car to the gate is nice but IMO boarding from the lounge is even nicer. The fact that EK has quality chefs in the kitchen 24/7 that will make you what you want, when you want can be a big help. I find UAs cold cuts and fruit to be a little insulting coming from a carrier that wants to fly people non stop from SFO to SIN (although I guess that flight doesn't even have GF

As well as a number of other cities. I am however very disappointed in the hap hazard way that EK has taken over concourse C in DXB. I landed in C a few days ago and even as an IO, had to hike to the buggy waiting for me. That is a heck of a long walk between the further gates in C (which was designed to go with T1) and baggage claim at T-3

- I don't get pre-check flying EK since they are not a participating carrier. Fortunately, I get a premium line, so it's shorter. I would not fly EK if I had to stand in the regular TSA line.

That can be a deal breaker as the TSA has made such a mess of things that flying out of or within the US has become a horrible experience (even sometime with pre check or an F Boarding Pass. But the fee for CLEAR is with every penny if your flying out of SFO, and as an IO, I'm walked thru security at JFK. The TSA is really a big reason I WILL NOT fly UA any longer. T-1 @ JFK for LH flights works better then most. But I would not for the life of me go thru EWR even with pre check and gamble on what the day has in store for me

- Wines and alcohol on EK are superior to UA. On-board bar on EK. EK makes me perfectly acceptable Manhattans.

Here you can't even compare the 2 airlines. The amount of time &money EK puts into selecting it's wines can't be matched by any carrier flying today (IMO), I'm not a fan of champagne, my drink has always been cognac. Most carriers serve excellent XOs in F, UA can't even load enough little VSOPs to last a flight more then 6 hours (I have not seen a VSOP in F on any carrier for years except UA........but then of course EK offers Paradis which they proudly call the "most expensive drink in the sky". That's actually a silly waste of money as at 35,000 feet I dare anyone to really tell the difference between a good XO & Paradis....but even the Whisky offerings on EK, which I'm no drinker of either is impressive. Blue Label is pretty standard now among quality carriers but it's nice that EK offers not only that, but 2 others if Blue Label isn't your thing. What's UA serving in GF? Red Label or that label no ones ever heard of?

- I request vegan meals on EK and receive beautiful food. They are the only carrier I get this on. UA has horrible veg meals.

They do consider India one of if not its largest market

- Personal minibar on EK means FAs don't come around too often with water and beverages, but it's at my seat or at the full bar in the back.

This mini bars in F and J are a waste of space. I just don't get them

- FAs on EK are quick to pick up glasses rather than refill them. I find I need to protect my glass from the minibar or lose it.

Never heard that before until yesterday........ interesting, your the 2nd person to say that

I love the EK kits as I actually use the stuff (like the shaving cream, razor, tooth brush. Are the LAVs in J really bigger?? The LAVs in F on the 77W seem the same size as UAs to me but then we come to the 380!!! The SIZE of those LAVs including the showers always makes me smile

- Entertainment- I don't use much, but EK has the cameras mounted on the plane so you can watch takeoff/landing.

I don't use it much either but with over 2000 channels, there is something in there for everyone (in almost every language). I must admit I did watch THE ENTIRE first Eason Of the West Wing on a flight to LA

- I generally prefer EK's FAs, but they are not without lapses. They sometimes gather at the bar and chat.

That doesn't bother me. AFAIK they can chat away as long as they are there when I need them. I've been lucky w the fact in the 19 years I've been flying EK (13 of which I've been based in DUBAI, I have NEVER EVER had what I would call a "bad crew". Of course some are better then others but "bad"?? NEVER. ....On UA I have had some wonderful crews, but I've also had crews that have made me seriously consider locking myself in the lav for the entire flight. I admit it's not the norm but it should be NEVER!!

- I have no complaints about the seat/bed on either carrier. I like the privacy of the seat on the side on EK.

If I was in J I'd take UA over EK on the 77W, on the 380 I'd take EK and in F EK always wins on any aircraft

- EK offers wifi for $1, but it's slow and buggy. UA's more expensive wifi works much better, ime.
I agree. EKs wifi is horrible. But I love the fact I can use my mobile phone to make calls on EK, something UA won't even consider
Old May 26, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I'd hardly call a 2 hour hop across the border an international flight.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm psurprised that anyone in the travel industry would think that. The next time you fly across the border, just skip your passport and tell immigration that you don't consider that to be an international flight and see where it gets you.

By definition, starting in one country and ending in another is an international flight.
It's just terminology, folks. When I am departing from Canada to the US and refer to the flight as international, all the Canadians are quick to correct me and say it is trans-border. Just as long it has no trans-fats.....

And back to the topic at hand:

Originally Posted by l'etoile

UA GFL in SFO serves Ruinart, not Veuve. Veuve is ORD GFL. But I would cringe seeing a UA prosecco in either. Thank goodness I haven't!

I like EK FAs in general. I find them polished and professional. But I agree with the comments that UA FAs are much better with refills than EK. Just wish what UA was serving was as good as EK.

I am not a fan of gold trim or bling in general, maybe I am more used to LH's "soft industrial" look. I don't find so much overlap between UA and EK yet for my travels, but I have been pleasantly surprised how aggressive both can be with their pricing. Much easier on the travel budget compared to 10 years ago.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all boils down to company culture. (that's not to say I have not had great crews on UA but it's not the same priority for American carriers as it is for some others.
Understanding you have quite a few EK flights under your belt: What is your impression of the food service, e.g. taste?
Old May 26, 2016, 3:00 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I will say though that the food was better than Emirates in terms of taste! Food wasn't presented with as much pomp as it is on Emirates but the beef fillet that I ate was as good as anything I have had in the air! It was a perfect mid rare and so tender!
I thought I was the only one who found ek's catering to be abysmal. UA is no better, but apparently improving, and ek has better booze
Old May 26, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I think the EK 777 J seat layout is really ridiculous. They advertise as one of the world's most luxurious airlines, yet the workhorse of their fleet has 2-3-2 J. Personally, I think the 3 class A380 is the only EK plane with a good J. I prefer the UA 2-2-2 787/772's over the EK 777's.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Understanding you have quite a few EK flights under your belt: What is your impression of the food service, e.g. taste?
It has gone from fantastic to passable to almost inedible (in general). I've still had a few good meals here and there but unfortunately, it's not the norm any longer and certainly not the high priority for EK it once was. What I don't get is an airline that spends what EK does on wines, etc can surly find a way to divert a little of that cash and put it back to food

i usually eat in the lounge and just have a few bowls of soup & steamed rice on a lot of flights now (thank God the soup is still good)
Old May 26, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very insightful & surprising! Thanks for your feedback, CTJMR!

While - I am primary on TATL & TPAC journeys - having no personal experience with EK sofar, the impression given by certain folks indicate, UA & other N.A. carriers can't even hold a drop of water vs. EK. Some of the trip reports and of course EKs marketing & advertising sure make it look as such.
Now, when it comes to value, e.g. $/mile it might look different.

Again, appreciate the reality check re their J-product provided in this thread.

Last edited by cesco.g; May 26, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.