FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comparing Emirates and United
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2016, 7:48 am
l etoile
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I fly Emirates from the US to Europe and back a few times a year in J on A380. I far prefer it to UA F or J. Some comparisons:

- EK includes car service on both ends

- UA has nicer ambiance in the GF lounge at SFO, but there are far better F&B offerings in the EK lounges. I was last in the UA GF lounge in March and was told they would not get out Veuve until whatever prosecco they had was gone. EK offers a full self-serve bar as well as Veuve at minimum. EK's food is plentiful - full buffet dinner offerings. Quality is average; it's not the LH F lounge, but it's not bad.

- EK generally offers boarding from the lounge in MXP

- I don't get pre-check flying EK since they are not a participating carrier. Fortunately, I get a premium line, so it's shorter. I would not fly EK if I had to stand in the regular TSA line.

- Wines and alcohol on EK are superior to UA. On-board bar on EK. EK makes me perfectly acceptable Manhattans.

- I request vegan meals on EK and receive beautiful food. They are the only carrier I get this on. UA has horrible veg meals.

- Personal minibar on EK means FAs don't come around too often with water and beverages, but it's at my seat or at the full bar in the back.

- FAs on EK are quick to pick up glasses rather than refill them. I find I need to protect my glass from the minibar or lose it.

- Amenity kit on EK is Bulgari. Larger lav on EK.

- Entertainment- I don't use much, but EK has the cameras mounted on the plane so you can watch takeoff/landing.

- I generally prefer EK's FAs, but they are not without lapses. They sometimes gather at the bar and chat.

- I have no complaints about the seat/bed on either carrier. I like the privacy of the seat on the side on EK.

- EK offers wifi for $1, but it's slow and buggy. UA's more expensive wifi works much better, ime.