Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by username
Hopefully the mid-flight snack in Y will become free - at least on this route
I came back just to post this

As to time savings, SIN-SFO still lands 9:15AM, the savings is sleeping in 2-3 more hours before takeoff.

The miles on SFO-NRT-SIN is 8452 (5124+3328). The nonstop shows 8444. Does that seem right? Is the connection really that efficient in terms of distance v. a direct?

Edit: the new non-stop timing makes overnights India-SIN possible connecting onto UA. UA could possibly set up a codeshare on AI feeders/finishers to/from SIN.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I came back just to post this

As to time savings, SIN-SFO still lands 9:15AM, the savings is sleeping in 2-3 more hours before takeoff.

The miles on SFO-NRT-SIN is 8452 (5124+3328). The nonstop shows 8444. Does that seem right? Is the connection really that efficient in terms of distance v. a direct?
Having done (too) many a MR SFO-SIN, I can tell you that it is. Both NRT and HKG are almost perfectly on the great circle route between SFO and SIN:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-sin...n&MS=wls&DU=mi
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What about me stuck in E+?
Can't see myself doing that flight in E+. I'd rather cross the Pacific on the 737s (to HNL, then Island Hopper, then HKG).
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by kluau88
Just noticed this was loaded starting in June on B789!

UA 1 SFO-SIN 2325 - 0645 +2
UA 2 SIN-SFO 0845 - 0915

How ironic they used UA 1 and UA 2. Is this a jab at SQ since they use SQ 1 and SQ 2.

Will United steal premium cabin passengers from SQ?

http://newsroom.united.com/2016-01-2...-and-Singapore
From what Ive read on FT - UAL nor any American carrier comes remotely close to SQ service - doubt UAL will steal premium customers.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by greg99
Having done (too) many a MR SFO-SIN, I can tell you that it is. Both NRT and HKG are almost perfectly on the great circle route between SFO and SIN:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-sin...n&MS=wls&DU=mi

Thank you! Ah yes, learning about putting together MR (or in my case pseudo-MRs) SFO-SIN, with stays at the Conrad using UA award coupons, was what lured me to join FT all those years ago.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Sweet!

As much as I enjoyed the SQ flights, I will gladly sacrifice the lobster for 2x EQM, lifetime EQM, and most important elimination of the forced stopover and deplaning at HKG.

I don't see SFO-BKK in UA's future, too many leisure travelers and SIN is more of a regional hub. BKK is a great place to visit but far fewer i-bankers and other business travelers that will pay for premium seats, which are the profit center.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by username
I think with the increasing aircraft capabilities, Asian carriers becoming more popular with US-based flyers and discount Asian carriers taking lots of intra-Asia traffic, UA has to ditch the NRT hub and do more nonstops. This is the ideal time to try - fuel is low and SQ has not resumed the nonstops.

The benefit is definitely the time saving - especially to cities in southeast Asia not served by UA (e.g. KUL, CGK). I suppose UA would still route people through NRT on NH instead of having through fares through SIN on SQ - as there is no revenue share? NH intra-Asia Y seats are really really unpleasant.
I do think there is probably a decent amount of cargo business - expensive electronics?

Hopefully the mid-flight snack in Y will become free - at least on this route
You do know that NH had been using 77W for NRT-SIN and not 763 for quite a while already right ?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:51 am

This will be a pretty nice trip for the SFI crews 26 hour layover in SIN trip is worth about 32 hours.

10:10p check in
11:25p departure
6:45a arrival
7:15a debrief
26 hour layover
7:45a check in
8:45a departure
9:15a arrival
9:45a debrief

Not bad for a 4 day trip.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Can't see myself doing that flight in E+. I'd rather cross the Pacific on the 737s (to HNL, then Island Hopper, then HKG).
Well, ask to those of us with Travel Policy requiring to purchase the cheapest fare (so, W and above - it is excluded) regardless of carrier - how do we handle it...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You do know that NH had been using 77W for NRT-SIN and not 763 for quite a while already right ?
I don't but you are also focusing on a single sentence out of context.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I won't take it in Y because of the narrow seats. Now if I can upgrade to BF at purchase, that's a different story.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
that's interesting news for sure. Could be an option for my SIN trip later this year. 789 is not that bad.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
that's interesting news for sure. Could be an option for my SIN trip later this year. 789 is not that bad.
In BF, it's great. 16 hours in a narrow Y seat? Sorry, I'll be sticking with the 777 and connecting in NRT if I can't get an upgrade on the 789
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by halls120
In BF, it's great. 16 hours in a narrow Y seat? Sorry, I'll be sticking with the 777 and connecting in NRT if I can't get an upgrade on the 789
Maybe I missed something, but I don't think you are going to connect in NRT to get to SIN on United metal. Maybe you mean switching over to ANA leg for it?

I have no idea what plane ANA uses for their NRT<->SIN runs, but their 787 economy seating can be really really really bad.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:44 am

I am booked 5/31 NRT-SIN. I think that is the last NRT-SIN
Final SIN-NRT is on 2 June so presumably final NRT-SIN is 1 June, not 31 May. Just missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.