Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These arrival and departure times are better than any of the normal current options.

Also pleased—I guess??—that my first time doing SIN-NRT will be one of UA's last.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
This is great I was just about to book SFO-NRT-BKK-SIN-NRT-SFO and now I can cut out NRT on the way home.

Sadly I'm already doing the Island Hopper in June or this would have been cool to take the inaugural flight.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
SQ had an on-board morgue on their A345, will UA follow?

I imagine the former Lucasfilm (now Disney) folks in SFO will help subsidize this operation. Lots of traffic going back-and-forth there nowadays.

I like the SFO-based timings: 11:25pm with a 6:45am arrival. If only there were a second HKG flight with similar timings.

A departure out of SIN at 8:45am is less-than-ideal for a full day of work in SIN, but hey, that means no need to book the airport hotel for those of you doing same-day-turns.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geofflaredo
I currently own an itinerary in August IAD-NRT-SIN and then SIN-NRT-IAD. I have applied GPU and it is confirmed for IAD-NRT and NRT-IAD, pending for the shorter legs.

I've just been on the phone with a 1K agent for quite some time. The news was actually new to her; I guess the release is that new. .....

Given the newness of all of this…… what would you do right now? Thanks for taking the time to think about it.
It usually take a couple of weeks before UA is really rescheduling. Part of the reason for the 4+ months notice.

If only UA metal is involved my guess your will be able to keep your upgrade.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BF263533
On a flight that long BF would become uncomfortable, but coach will be a real killer.
I note seating on the B787-9 would be C 2-2-2 and Y 3-3-3. No F.

UA used to offer NRT-TPE, but now just offers SFO-TPE, switching to a B787-9 in April. One wonders if they will reconsider their poor decision to cancel service NRT-BKK.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It usually take a couple of weeks before UA is really rescheduling. Part of the reason for the 4+ months notice.

If only UA metal is involved my guess your will be able to keep your upgrade.
So…… if it were you, would you hang tight for time being until something is pushed to my itineraries and a "schedule change" appears?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Welp as expected, no BKK still.

I'm still shocked. The FAA lowered TG's safety rating so they can't start any new routes. UA should take advantage of that!
Right, they won't have new routes for a quite some time. Due to safety concerns.

SFO-BKK is 7,933 miles. I think 777-200ER or 77W aircraft will fly nonstop to BKK from SFO. If they have a weight restrictions. The 77W aircraft has more capabilities, more fuel-efficient, and more range, as well. It will happens in a distant future.

according of the great circle mapper:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sfo-nrt...n&MS=wls&DU=mi

This is for the future routes. I doubt if they can fly to CGK, BKK, XIY, HAN, SGN, or anywhere else.

Last edited by N830MH; Jan 28, 2016 at 8:32 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO

UA used to offer NRT-TPE, but now just offers SFO-TPE, switching to a B787-9 in April. One wonders if they will reconsider their poor decision to cancel service NRT-BKK.
Based on that, wouldn't the more logical conclusion be SFO-BKK?

Based on current conditions and the fact that they previously cancelled the connection, that would seem to put SFO-BKK in the "long/thin" bucket that the 787 is designed for.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by greg99
Interestingly, when I tried to see about booking the nonstop using a GPU, forcing it to search for v/w/w/h fares, and requesting a GPU supported upgrade, .bomb returned "Not Eligible For Upgrade" under the "Business (upgrade eligible economy fare)" column.

I've never seen that - other connections gave a price, e.g., via HKG, but showed it with the little yellow arrow indicating that there was an upgrade waitlist.

I've never seen this before - is it common, or is something special going on here?

Greg
I've seen something like this. Think it happens on new routes where UA hasn't released any reward inventory. At least in my case I couldn't upgreade or apply a cert even though the cabin was completely empty. I think you may need to call or check back. I would probably call if you want to book it soon.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

Based on current conditions and the fact that they previously cancelled the connection, that would seem to put SFO-BKK in the "long/thin" bucket that the 787 is designed for.
Stay tuned.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
They aren't adding any new routes to LAX either - seems like they are really emphasizing SFO as their Left Coast TPAC gateway. The only TPAC routes out of LAX currently are to NRT, SYD, and MEL right?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
They aren't adding any new routes to LAX either - seems like they are really emphasizing SFO as their Left Coast TPAC gateway.
Correct, because that's where UA can consolidate feed and create a solid hub-and-spoke flow of passengers.

The only TPAC routes out of LAX currently are to NRT, SYD, and MEL right?
PVG, too.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

greg99 - I would agree. NRT-BKK used to be a B747 or B777. When this route was cancelled, some argued that BKK was a tourist destination and couldn't support premium bookings. I don't agree, but of course a B787 is a 2 class plane.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:45 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

I have a feeling that when UA decides to tackle nonstop service to BKK, it will be from LAX, not SFO. LAX has more O/D traffic that such a long flight will require, especially since service to BKK is far more dependent on lower rev leisure travelers. SFO-SIN connects two major financial/business centers and therefore has a much higher propensity for business travelers. LAX still serves as a mini-hub for UA of sorts...and puts pressure on AA there. LAX is a much more competitive airport than SFO...but since no one has LAX-BKK since TG departed that market, it would be a prudent monopolistic route for UA.

I do think UA will consider service to BKK...but only after another year or two. That being said, I didn't expect the major explosion of new longhaul routes that UA has opened in this past year from SFO...so who knows?

They aren't adding any new routes to LAX either - seems like they are really emphasizing SFO as their Left Coast TPAC gateway. The only TPAC routes out of LAX currently are to NRT, SYD, and MEL right?
That's true--UA clearly is working to make SFO the preeminent Pacific gateway from the USA. But a future BKK nonstop would be better as LAX-BKK since the O/D traffic would be far higher than SFO-BKK...and LAX still gets plenty of feed from every other major hub in the USA.

SFO-SIN connects 2 very large financial/business centers. BKK doesn't support the business traffic that SIN does, especially from the USA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2016 at 9:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Coach on this route will be intolerable - I can barely handle the 9-abreast 787 on short hops like DEL-SIN. Seat width is just too small.

The loss of NRT-SIN is not surprising - UA is presumably getting ready to shift its Tokyo operation to HND, which will mean the end of the fifth-freedom tag-ons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.