Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tric
Why are fuel surcharges still included in fares....and why are they not considered in airfare when award miles are calculated?

Why? Because they can, I guess.

They are included in award mileage calculations just like the base fare. Government-imposed taxes and fees (which fuel surcharges are not) are not included.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:28 pm

Status Challenge without Existing Status?

Does united allow for a status challenge if I don't currently have status on an existing competitor. I have enough upcoming travel to early challenge to gold, but the page says I also need some status on another airline.

Do they ever waive that rule?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mcowger
Does united allow for a status challenge if I don't currently have status on an existing competitor. ...
Generally no.

Originally Posted by mcowger
....Do they ever waive that rule?
There are never absolute answers, absolute nos, absolute yes ... in the airline world. But believe you would have to find the person that can make the waiver and then present a case that could not be presented by hundreds of others (out of the ten's of millions that travel annually).

If you are willing to commit $25K or $50K up front, UA will then show some interest.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:40 pm

Fair enough - I doubt I can show them what they'd want to see, and corporate travel rules would prevent me from doing PassPlus.

Thanks - guess I gotta earn it the old fashioned way.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is there any meaningful difference at all for booking *A flights with a UA codeshare v. *A flights with no codeshare if the booking is done on the UA website? I don't think there is, but just curious.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is there any meaningful difference at all for booking *A flights with a UA codeshare v. *A flights with no codeshare if the booking is done on the UA website? I don't think there is, but just curious.
As far as mileage earning -- no.

If upgrades on the partner flights are under consideration, then they need to be native flights.

In a few cases seat assignments are easier if native flights.

There are those that feel during irrops native flight booking are better.

A couple of related posts
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-number.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-dilemma.html
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by TravelingBear
Currently booked lax-mel with return syd-icn-lax in business class. I am highly interested in changing the return to a nonstop from Australia to North America. I have been checking multiple times daily for a while now with no luck in finding anything. I am not married to coming back via lax. I have been looking at SFO, YVR, IAH....you get the picture. Currently returning on Apr24 but can do +/-1 day there. Any suggestions on how to proceed, or just tell me I am stuck checking and rechecking to see if something pops up.

Thanks in advance.
As a data point for people following things (and apparently something new with AZ) I was able to rebook the SYD-ICN-LAX leg to CHC-AKL-LAX in business on Air New Zealand yesterday.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:53 am

Is it really worth it to get silver status? I don't see any real benefit to it except that you get 150% miles and easier to get gold status. Even with that, we are looking at 3 long haul flights a year to get it (South Africa to US, we live in South Africa). I actually hate United as an airline and rarely fly it. It also looks like I have to actually fly United (4 segments per year) to even get it. We prefer to fly Lufthansa/KLM/Emirates. Right now, I have 10,000

Are we better off joining another mileage program?

PS Right now I have 10,000 PQM and around 40K of ununsed miles.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, snowbeavers!

Originally Posted by snowbeavers
Is it really worth it to get silver status? I don't see any real benefit to it except that you get 150% miles and easier to get gold status.
Silver only gets you 140% when booked on or through UA, and it should be 125% if booked elsewhere on a partner. The only other real benefit is the availability of E+ at check-in, but if you're not flying United metal, that doesn't mean anything. I'd say it's usually best to go for status in the airline you fly the most, as that's where you'll reap the most benefits.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TravelingBear
As a data point for people following things (and apparently something new with AZ) I was able to rebook the SYD-ICN-LAX leg to CHC-AKL-LAX in business on Air New Zealand yesterday.
On an award ticket? That's supposed to be impossible!

Did you see the space yourself, or were there helpful agents involved?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Travel Waiver Rebooking?

In the past, weather waiver rebooking could be done by phone or on line, in any fare class (Y or B for example) at no additional cost. This year, it didn’t work on line and by phone, for my one weather waivered itinerary. I was not able to rebook at no cost on line at all. I was able to rebook by phone at no cost but not in Y or B. There were several reports on other threads here of others who experienced the inability to make changes on line. Do we think on line rebooking and rebooking in Y or B are temporary glitches or designed system change(s)? Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Silver
Flying May 1 EWR-FLL, 1 silver and 2 GM. If I split PNR to be added to upgrade list, do the GM keep the elite benefits? Mainly care about the free checked bags.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
In the past, weather waiver rebooking could be done by phone or on line, in any fare class (Y or B for example) at no additional cost. This year, it didn’t work on line and by phone, for my one weather waivered itinerary. I was not able to rebook at no cost on line at all. I was able to rebook by phone at no cost but not in Y or B. There were several reports on other threads here of others who experienced the inability to make changes on line. Do we think on line rebooking and rebooking in Y or B are temporary glitches or designed system change(s)? Thanks.
If you are asking if rebooking during irrops was / will be in Y/B (and give a PAM bonus), this has always been hit or miss depending on the agent. It has never been policy or automatic especially for online rebookings. Additionally there have been reports that some rebooked into Y/B due to irrops did not receive a bonus but rather PQMs posted based on purchased fares.

Originally Posted by dble00dumb
Flying May 1 EWR-FLL, 1 silver and 2 GM. If I split PNR to be added to upgrade list, do the GM keep the elite benefits? Mainly care about the free checked bags.
yes but it may take manual intervention -- the agent is able to see the PNR history and usually will honor it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by dble00dumb
Can you check the bags, then split the PNR at the airport?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
Can you check the bags, then split the PNR at the airport?
Waiting would hurt any (small) chance of an upgrade the OP seems to be seeking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.