Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I have an 11:00PM - 12:45AM layoff in LAX on an American flight. I was planning on using my United Club pass to spend an hour in the United Club. Since my boarding pass is technically for the next day (by 45 minutes), will they still let me in?
Presently Chase UC pass holders do not need BP to access UCs (however will after 18 Augesut 2016). So the UC folks should not be an issue.

Getting thru TSA to the UC, should not be a problem (and airside connection now for T4-T8)

At 11PM there shouldn't be any access issues for Chase UC passholders (but mid-day there could be). The main UC (near Gate 71A) will be closed (closes at 10:30PM) but the Mezzanine UC, between Gates 73 and 75, old GFL, is scheduled to be open (till 12:45PM)

Given the times and distance and boarding times -- you will probably have less than 1 hour.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Doubt you will be able to check in for you NH metal, however you should be able to keep your selected seats.

The NH checking may be better answered in NH forum.
Will ask them too - but I figured for things in US this forum would have a better idea (and NH forum isn't too lively).

If UA can't issue my boarding passes, does it mean I need to find a transfer desk for NH at IAH (do they even have one)? I have a short connection there (and OLCI probably won't work if UA is a first segment). Or can they check me in at the gate?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
Will ask them too - but I figured for things in US this forum would have a better idea (and NH forum isn't too lively).

If UA can't issue my boarding passes, does it mean I need to find a transfer desk for NH at IAH (do they even have one)? I have a short connection there (and OLCI probably won't work if UA is a first segment). Or can they check me in at the gate?
Depends if you are arriving on domestic or int'l.

If domestic, you should be able to get BP at the gate, I assume in term D. If int'l, you have to exit secure area anyway and can get BP at NH checkin.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Depends if you are arriving on domestic or int'l.

If domestic, you should be able to get BP at the gate, I assume in term D. If int'l, you have to exit secure area anyway and can get BP at NH checkin.
Domestic, so I guess gate it is Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently Chase UC pass holders do not need BP to access UCs (however will after 18 Augesut 2016). So the UC folks should not be an issue.

Getting thru TSA to the UC, should not be a problem (and airside connection now for T4-T8)

At 11PM there shouldn't be any access issues for Chase UC passholders (but mid-day there could be). The main UC (near Gate 71A) will be closed (closes at 10:30PM) but the Mezzanine UC, between Gates 73 and 75, old GFL, is scheduled to be open (till 12:45PM)

Given the times and distance and boarding times -- you will probably have less than 1 hour.
Thanks for all the clarification but one question. You mention TSA. If I land in T6, do I really need to go through security to get to the Mezzanine UC in T7?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Thanks for all the clarification but one question. You mention TSA. If I land in T6, do I really need to go through security to get to the Mezzanine UC in T7?
Mentioned TSA since you did not mention which terminal you were arriving at. T6 is connected airside to T7, no TSA needed.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Miles and More Credit?

Bought an economy ticket months ago. Upgraded with RPU and now in PN fare code. I'd like to know how many miles I would get if credited to Miles and More instead of UA. I presume miles credit based on the original economy fare code. Is that correct? If so, is there any way to figure out what that code was if I no longer have the original e-ticket before upgrade?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Bought an economy ticket months ago. Upgraded with RPU and now in PN fare code. I'd like to know how many miles I would get if credited to Miles and More instead of UA. I presume miles credit based on the original economy fare code. Is that correct? ..
yes

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
If so, is there any way to figure out what that code was if I no longer have the original e-ticket before upgrade?
easiest to call, as it is not available on the United site until posted.

It is possible to see more using the Saudi airlines site -- it provides open access to many airline tickets details (hope it does not get shutdown)

Go to their site
Select Manage Bookings
Select e-ticket
Enter your information (separate the 016 portion from the rest of the ticket number and enter your last name)

Look for "Fare basis:" in the result for the segment, the first letter is likely the original fare class. This use to be universally true but with -UP fares it is not. Since you upgraded with a RPU it is probably not -UP fare and the first letter is most likely your fare class.

For this and other reasons ALWAYS keep the original receipt.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:02 am

Air India vanished from mileage plus search engine?

I used to be able to find heaps of Air India availability now nothing, any routes and any dates.
CMB-BOM now only shows Thai flights?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Are there no meals at all served in Y on EWR-YVR? that's a 6.5h flight... ouch. (for the record, I'm looking at UA1834 and it only has meals for purchase listed)
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Are there no meals at all served in Y on EWR-YVR? that's a 6.5h flight... ouch. (for the record, I'm looking at UA1834 and it only has meals for purchase listed)
That sounds correct. CDN is a mixed int'l.

Only longhaul (ya, yours IS long) gets meals in Y.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
See United Economy dining and look for North American - No "Complimentary meal service"

Note EWR<>HNL 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 hours depending on direction is the same No "Complimentary meal service"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 26, 2016 at 2:07 pm Reason: EWR<>HNL
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:31 pm

Mispriced award ticket

I had to call in to a phone agent to price a one way J award ticket to SIN. Since its flown entirely on OZ and SQ metal, it is supposed to be 80k miles, but the agent said they had to 'manually price it' and came back to me after a long hold w the price of 70k miles plus fees. Seems like they mispriced it as a UA J award instead. Would this have any implications for my travel?

I'm assuming that it might only affect me if I have to amend my itinerary later on and someone spots the error.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by VanquishShadow
.... Seems like they mispriced it as a UA J award instead. Would this have any implications for my travel?

I'm assuming that it might only affect me if I have to amend my itinerary later on and someone spots the error.
There have been reports of post ticketing audits but generally what you mentioned, no problem unless you attempt to modify the ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:51 pm

Does UA do advance meal ordering in premium cabins like AA

Have an upcoming ps transcon flight. I fly AA predominantly, and AA allows for premium cabins to preselect your meal online within 30 days of flying up to 24 hours out when they cut things off.

After searching, I've seen nothing about this on my flight or this forum so I presume UA does NOT offer meal selection in advance, but if they do, how do I do it?

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.