Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
With all buy-ups, it depends on the nature of the buy-up.

The $319 is almost certainly a purchased upgrade that will not accrue PQD or RDM. Whether it accrues additional PQM will depend on the fare class into which it books. If it books into R or PN, it's not going to accrue anything extra. If it books into P, it will.
It booked into ZN for me when I did this offer earlier in the month. No extra PQM/PQD/RDM as a result.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
If booked in Y and I was offered $400 for EWR to TLV, I would offered to pick up the colleague's seat as well; or at least made some clumsy excuse about 'Oh, I guess I got upgraded, what a nice surprise.'
Ditto. For an SO/close friend, I'd pick up both tabs. A "colleague" is getting left behind with vague excuses

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It booked into ZN for me when I did this offer earlier in the month. No extra PQM/PQD/RDM as a result.
Yeah, growing evidence suggests that fee-upgrades to F book into A (and earn 2x PQM) and those to J book into ZN (and do not earn bonus PQM). Also strongly suggestive that space in those classes is a requirement to see the fare-differential priced offer.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
while helping a no-status friend check in today, she was offered $829 from Y to J for UA42, IAD-FCO

her original ticket was in K class and was under $700rt for SMF-FCO

she did not take it, but i sure would have
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat
PHX-DEN 737-800
V Fare
$109 to BF during OLCI
Declined (managed to get an E+ seat at OLCI)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:07 am

ORD-MEM CRJ-700
L Fare
$99 to F at OLCI
Declined

Posting here because $99 to upgrade to F with no meal service on a flight blocked at a little less than 2 hours and operated by a RJ is too high to meet my definition of TOD.

ETA: Offers prior to OLCI were in the $200-300 range.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
IAH-LHR on a 763
K fare
$939
Declined

Seems a touch high, and there are still 6 open seats... (I've found that wide open cabins for BF don't have good offers, I only see more reasonable offers when cabins have 1-2 seats remaining.)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SAN-SFO $99 offered on the App post check-in (Q fare)

I bit. 4 F seats and #4 on the list at T-23.75 (and a middle in E+).

Booked into Z which I have not seen before.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 26, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:41 pm

EWR-ORD 767-300
S Fare
$99 offered at booking
Accepted
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDtoMEM
EWR-ORD 767-300
S Fare
$99 offered at booking
Accepted
That probably got you into a BF lieflat seat ?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
That probably got you into a BF lieflat seat ?
It does, and was the only reason I accepted for such a short flight. The fare difference between economy and business at the time I think was $130, which was more than I wanted to pay (this was for two people).
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Never had done the upgrade at purchase time.
Noticed it did book into a PQM bonus fare ^
Had forgotten it would show as PCU on the receipt and therefore no PQDs

If cancelled in 24 hours, does the PCU fee refund?

Normally do the post booking change approach which is ADD?/COLLECT but the PCU was a bit cheaper. Now need to decide if the loss of PQDs is a problem for my status renewal.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Never had done the upgrade at purchase time.
Noticed it did book into a PQM bonus fare ^
Had forgotten it would show as PCU on the receipt and therefore no PQDs

Normally do the post booking change approach which is ADD?/COLLECT but the PCU was a bit cheaper. Now need to decide if the loss of PQDs is a problem for my status renewal.
The lack of PQD's for upgrades such as this frustrates me, as I'm going to come up short for the year. I haven't tried to cancel something like this, but I can appreciate your pain. I'm used to the occasional mileage run, never done a dollar run.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Not sure it is supposed to refund, but if in 24hrs I'm pretty sure an agent will agree to refund. I wouldn't leave it up to the system though.

And yeah, booking fee-upgrade usually a little cheaper but comes with those caveats
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Not sure it is supposed to refund, but if in 24hrs I'm pretty sure an agent will agree to refund. I wouldn't leave it up to the system though. ....
Online cancel did not appear to cover it, so did call. Agent had to get supervisor override, we'll have to see if it works.

Decided extra sub-$100 was worth getting $800+ PQDs -- since probably will need those PQDs .
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm stumped. Upcoming flight is

F6 A4 JN6 C6 D4 Z3 ZN3 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0

Ticketed on an H fare, and lowest Y/F are now U and U-up so the true fare differential should be about $115-ish if I were to GG BUYUP.

Manage Reservations page is offering to let me buy up for $707, with "1 Seat Available". Where on earth is it getting this number? The only fares that come close to the combined total are YUA and FUA, and no inventory class has 1 seat in it. Back when PN space was available, it would quote me difference to an M fare.

I'm so intensely curious what the upgrade button will do to my ticket, but not "risk $707 and say it was an accident" curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.