Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inside United Airlines’ Ultra- Exclusive 4 Million Mile Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inside United Airlines’ Ultra- Exclusive 4 Million Mile Club

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JustinLacy
This happened to me on a trip thru IAD early this year. I had just made GS for the first time and didn't really know what to expect. ....
Maybe they focus the services on the "New GS" making the assumption that "Old GS" are already captured and aren't going anywhere.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
As for the Mercedes, if I recall UA Insider, I thought that it wasn't a GS benefit and was available to 1K as well. The priority was based on how close your connection was (and status).
IIRC it's a GS benefit, though if you are on a tight connection on an expensive enough ticket it could apply as well.

Of course it's been months since this was announced, and my memory is a bit suspect
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Reading through the thread, it seems that no one on Flyertalk has ever seen another one of Paula Froelich's web based episodes of "A Broad abroad".

http://www.abroadabroad.com/about/

She travels around the world, trying to provide an irreverent perspective on different cultures, experiences and whatnot. Sometimes what she says is funny, sometimes not, but I think she's just trying to get people to travel and have a good time.

IMO, the GS article is neither fluff nor a real journalistic piece. It's just part of her series of "experiences". Presumably, someone at United offered her to experience Global Service. She jumped on it, and then wrote/produced video about the experience along the path of her usually wacky perspectives. She'll deliberately pick out the most obscure details and focus on that, sometimes erroneously, but it's supposed to be popcorn TV sort of thing - turn off your brain and just enjoy her wackiness.

Unfortunately, she seemed to have run into the serious Flyertalk audience here that's picking apart the article for all the inaccuracies about Global Service. Sigh. The article isn't about Global Service per se. It's about someone offering her high end travel experience (let's pretend it is), something that she would not otherwise get to experience, and she's just providing her "unique perspective" on it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by davewang202
Reading through the thread, it seems that no one on Flyertalk has ever seen another one of Paula Froelich's web based episodes of "A Broad abroad".

http://www.abroadabroad.com/about/

She travels around the world, trying to provide an irreverent perspective on different cultures, experiences and whatnot. Sometimes what she says is funny, sometimes not, but I think she's just trying to get people to travel and have a good time.

IMO, the GS article is neither fluff nor a real journalistic piece. It's just part of her series of "experiences". Presumably, someone at United offered her to experience Global Service. She jumped on it, and then wrote/produced video about the experience along the path of her usually wacky perspectives. She'll deliberately pick out the most obscure details and focus on that, sometimes erroneously, but it's supposed to be popcorn TV sort of thing - turn off your brain and just enjoy her wackiness.

Unfortunately, she seemed to have run into the serious Flyertalk audience here that's picking apart the article for all the inaccuracies about Global Service. Sigh. The article isn't about Global Service per se. It's about someone offering her high end travel experience (let's pretend it is), something that she would not otherwise get to experience, and she's just providing her "unique perspective" on it.
So as a "lifestyle reporter" she is excused from things like facts and actual journalistic reporting standards. Sigh.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Eadward
So as a "lifestyle reporter" she is excused from things like facts and actual journalistic reporting standards. Sigh.
As someone who has been to a couple travel writers conferences let me say that travel bloggers are despised by travel writers. By travel writer I mean ... well.. real writers...real journalism students and professors who are in it to win it. Bloggers (true or not) are viewed as opportunists and looking for sponsorships, trips, or paid endorsements.

I don't know her personally but my opinion is she is probably not a journalist and therefore.....
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by davewang202

Global Services.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Global Services.
Back in my day, we never even heard of such a program since it was "secret" and by invitation only. So you will forgive me for not even knowing the proper spelling of it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Ahem. Unless you are iluv2fly too...
Or me. They did this last month for me connecting from DXB to EWR via IAD. Let me rest in the GFL and then came to get me to schlep me over to my flight at Terminal A. But then again, I ain't no iluv2fly!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thumbs down to the article for its sensational coverage....

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What they dn't do is pick you up from the lounge and deposit you at the aircraft -- unless you're a blogger writing something for UA it seems.
I lost count, but it has definitely happened to me a few times. I also declined a couple of times.

I had experienced free golf cart pick-ups from Air China First Lounge to UA gate when departing from PEK awhile ago. I am not sure if they still offer it, but I normally decline it to get some exercise in before get on a 10+ hours of fly back to the US.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
deleted

Last edited by 5khours; Jan 11, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Platinum, SPG Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fragment54
Heard two guys discussing something along these lines (specifically, an SUV taking you to the plane) while exiting a plane last weekend. At the time, I had no idea what they were talking about. Apparently some people believe this is a real thing. Guess United's facade worked out for them.
I see (reading further) that the SUV is explained. That is definitely true as I have experienced it. But the best part is something the video didn't even touch on: when you have a canceled flight, they meet you at the gate with a new ticket--they solve your problem before you know you had one. I love GS, even without the green M & M's.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Platinum, SPG Ambassador, Hilton Gold
What was pretty funny once (at HOU), we had a tight connection and they apologized for not having a Mercedes for us but they came with one of those UA trolleys to take us to our next gate.

It turned out that the gate had been changed and they drove us all over the airport looking for our gate. We ended up at the gate right next to the one we'd arrived at in the first place.

WHOOPSIE. GS wasn't so great then because we might have had time to stop for a DRINK if they hadn't driven us all over hell and back. But the sentiment was nice...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: United 1K 3MM
I experienced the MB once, but not because of me! My wife and I (both 1K, her status came from me) were flying to Asia via San Francisco. I was on an upgraded W fare in C and she was on a Global First Award ticket in F. The flight to SF was delayed as usual so we have about 30 minutes to catch the international flight. I was counting on the first plane the minutes it will take and figured we should make it to the gate before it closed. At the arrival gate, the ground agent called out her name (not mine!) and offered the car service gate to gate. Indeed, she had to ask the agent to bring me along. We climbed the steps to the departure gate and someone actually carried our carry-ons for us. It was a very nice gesture even though we would have made it (as did quite a few other passengers with the same connecting flight) with a brisk walk. So, you do not need to be GS, and you do not even need a revenue ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.