Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Travel Options packages - Economy Plus Enhanced

Economy Plus Essentials

This package offers E​conomy Plus seating and an extra standard checked bag — you'll save on these travel perks by purchasing them together.

Economy Plus Enhanced

With this package, you'll receive the Essentials (Economy Plus seating and an extra standard checked bag) plus Premier Access®, a United Club℠ trip pass and extra award miles for each passenger on the reservation, at a reduced cost compared to adding these features individually.
Print Wikipost

Economy Plus Essentials and Economy Plus Enhanced Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:44 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
"UA should just remove this benefit from Silver and Gold. Platinum and 1K still have an occasional chance."

Whoa!!!! Don't tell my wife this. She is a MM Gold. So far this year she has had 9 segments that were upgradable ( Most were TPA-EWR or EWR-TPA). Of the nine, she cleared via CPU 4 times and cleared additional 2 times on saver award tickets she cleared due to her use of the United Chase card to book the flights.
SO, it does happen a lot (67% in her case-Yes, I am envious) if you can pick your destinations and times.

Edited to add: I am also MM Gold and am 8/16 on CPU eligible routes. A lot of TPA-EWR, but also some TPA-IAH/ORD.

Last edited by Vulcan; Dec 22, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Whoa!!!! Don't tell my wife this. She is a MM Gold. So far this year she has had 9 segments that were upgradable ( Most were TPA-EWR or EWR-TPA). Of the nine, she cleared via CPU 4 times and cleared additional 2 times on saver award tickets she cleared due to her use of the United Chase card to book the flights.
SO, it does happen a lot (67% in her case-Yes, I am envious) if you can pick your destinations and times.
Yes, leisure destinations mid week work great.

IAH-SAN-IAH is NOT an easy u/g, but somehow got to fly up front a couple of weeks ago on Tuesday. In the back coming back Wednesay, around #15 on u/g list IIRC.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:55 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Yes, leisure destinations mid week work great.

IAH-SAN-IAH is NOT an easy u/g, but somehow got to fly up front a couple of weeks ago on Tuesday. In the back coming back Wednesay, around #15 on u/g list IIRC.
Actually, midweek success, at least for TPA, is not good (unless on the 6 AM flight). The vast majority of our CPU success has been on weekends.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I hear you. I think it backfires on UA because most golds and silvers don't have your wife's experience. With TOD being so common now most 1Ks rarely have a chance at CPU. UA should be careful about creating expectations that are rarely met. I think the new transparency about TOD is a good step. Next is hopefully transparency on the way they calculate the price offered. Premiers should not be charged more than regular members. It's insulting.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by abaheti
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

"The personalized price that you’ll see in the offer is based on multiple factors, such as Premier® status, seat availability, flight origin and destination, date of travel, and date of ticket purchase."

Hmm. Personalized price? Could explain the TOD pricing for elites being higher than kettles? They know as an elite that you can afford more or based on history you're willing to pay more...?
Actually, I am hoping for the reverse. Premiers aren't even getting check-in offers from what I hear (I know I don't). It would make sense to give Premiers a discount based on status since essentially it is buying their way up on a list they are already ranked on for free.

...and I can only dream that they would let instrument upgrades go in front of buy ups!

I can refare my next flight into A (with PQM bonus) for $100 (if I can convince the agent not to charge a change fee), or take the buy up offer online of $508 (no PQM bonus).
6 seats available to buy up. My RPU has been waitlisted three weeks

I really hope they fix this...

Last edited by dmodemd; Dec 23, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If they go to a $ per mile redemption system does this also mean that I will earn PQM's on the tickets I buy through this method, just like I do when redeeming CC points for a ticket?

That might be a silver lining.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by atword
Premiers should not be charged more than regular members. It's insulting.
Can someone explain this comment?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I guess it relates to this:
"The personalized price that you’ll see in the offer is based on multiple factors, such as Premier® status, seat availability, flight origin and destination, date of travel, and date of ticket purchase."
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
If they go to a $ per mile redemption system does this also mean that I will earn PQM's on the tickets I buy through this method, just like I do when redeeming CC points for a ticket?

That might be a silver lining.
They have offered combination (miles + $$$) tickets in the past, and they did not earn PQMs. I seriously doubt that will happen in the future. I would love to be proven wrong though!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by fireflash
I guess it relates to this:
Premier members have been offered upgrades that cost MORE than general members. Whole thread devoted to that.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Premier members have been offered upgrades that cost MORE than general members. Whole thread devoted to that.
Can you share the thread link? Thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:38 pm

Can you share the thread link? Thanks.
Try this
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Looks like this Economy Plus Essentials is now live. This popped up today on .bomb when I was pricing out a trip:

Hmmm, image not showing, trying to figure that out.

Last edited by mmayer; Dec 28, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:50 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
NEW: Economy Plus Essentials vs. Economy Plus Enhanced

First sighting of this in the wild, I believe. Flight EWR-MSP for 9/2/16

Last edited by glx; Dec 28, 2015 at 8:55 am
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by glx
First sighting of this in the wild, I believe. Flight EWR-MSP for 9/2/16
Well that's a LOT less scary than what I was afraid this would become ...

I'm all for the upsell - if they can bundle and sell Group 2 boarding with a day pass for $90, then go for it.

Doesn't appear to change the Premier benefits any, and it won't "overcrowd" the UC before anyone brings up that specter -- if folks are willing to pay $90 for "Premier Access + UC", then they'd be willing to pay $50 for a day pass. No real difference there.

Hey, good for United, let them make a few bucks this way -- let these folks fund my Illy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.