Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Israeli Aviation Services Law - English version

United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (Aviation Services Law) (2012)

United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (Aviation Services Law) (09/2016 version)

Israeli Aviation Services Law

Denied boarding or cancellation or delay

Israeli Aviation Services Law (IASL) requires airlines to provide notice if you are denied boarding or if your flight is canceled or delayed for at least two hours. Ask the check-in counter or boarding gate for the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance. Please refer to Uniteds Contract of Carriage for the general terms and conditions applying to your transportation.
Print Wikipost

Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UAL Gold/1MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Any Experience Getting Compensation Under Israeli Aviation Services Law

United has a special notice for travelers to/from Israel on its website, where it explains provisions of the Israeli Aviation Services Law -- similar to the EU compensation. Specifically, for canceled flights, excepting those arising from circumstances outside United's control, where the passenger's arrival time is more than 4 hours after the original arrival time, United has to pay 3000 Shekels (~$800).

My wife and I were on UA 91 TLV-EWR, which was canceled on 3/31 after three hours spent sitting on the plane while the crew addressed a control surface issue. Humorously enough, by the Captain's own admission, the first 45 minutes were spent trying to figure out the correct password for the mechanic to get into the software interface.

We were reaccommodated to arrive via ATH and FRA 7 hours after our originally scheduled arrival time. Sounds like a clear case for cash compensation?

Well, after submitting a claim through united.com/feedback, we were offered $500 vouchers each, but the cash claim was denied since "compensation under the Israeli Air Services Law is not applicable in this case." The email response also pointed out that the mechanical issue was "beyond United's control."

Any experience successfully obtaining compensation in this case?

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: UAL Gold/1MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
So, looks like a year later United is still using the same "force majeure" nonsense. Got this response today from "Mrs. Amin:"

We have again reviewed your request for cash compensation and found that we complied with all the applicable regulations at the time of your flight.

I understand that the delay was, at best, very frustrating and truly regret you were disappointed. Please let me explain why cash compensation is not applicable under the Israeli Air Passenger Law. Because all routine preventative maintenance actions were performed on the aircraft as scheduled, and the cancellation could not have been reasonably predicted or avoided, the event is considered force majeure and exclusionary to the mandatory compensation rules.

Please know that our legal department carefully reviews each of these matters with our system and technical operations groups to ensure we are in full compliance with the appropriate legal standards. Although the cause of the irregularity was extraordinary and unable to be avoided, we did what we could to minimize it, and have nothing further to advise at this point.

Because we do recognize that your flight plans were negatively impacted, as a tangible gesture of our regret, we proactively sent each passenger who we had contact information for, an electronic travel certificate valid toward a discount on a future United flight.

We await for our reply with the phone call receipts. Again, once we receive the receipts, we can issue a check to cover some, if not all, of your expenses. Although additional compensation is not forthcoming, we sincerely hope that you will choose to fly with United Airlines in the future.

Responded by saying I have no logistical issues filing suit at the magistrate's court of proper venue in Israel, where United's liability goes from 3,000 NIS to 10,000 NIS. Also filed a DOT complaint and reached out to UA Insider, who promised to elevate to the Refunds team.

We shall see.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Try contacting them: http://eng.rotbaumlaw.com/2013/12/flight-delays/
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:49 pm

Our flight on 10/15 from TLV to Newark was cancelled- I filed a claim through their website and a week later was told my husband and I will each be getting 3000 NIS (about $800) and hotel reimbursement on a VISA cash card. Said it will take six weeks- so we will see. I also got an offer for $200 voucher or 10,000 miles but will wait until I get the card before I try that. We found out our 11:00 pm flight had been cancelled at about 3:00 pm Friday afternoon by looking at the app on our phones. I tried calling United in Israel to find out they were closed for the Sabbath. We were in Jerusalem and I did not want to travel all the way to the airport.

Last edited by marion10; Oct 31, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:08 am

I did not know such a rule existed!

My flight to TLV was canceled for mechanical reasons earlier this year ( January), and I was rerouted arriving about 12 hours later.

Is there a "statute of limitation" on applying for compensation? How does one apply?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:11 pm

See the wiki and the first post- I applied through the website.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:34 am

I don't see anything in the wiki that provides specific instructions.
Did you send it as a request to customer service?

I sent a request to CS, we'll see where it goes. Not surprising that UA did not disclose this information, but unfortunate.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by br2k
I don't see anything in the wiki that provides specific instructions. ...
United - Rights established under Israeli Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation and Change of Conditions), 5772-2012 (Aviation Services Law) (2012)
Did you send it as a request to customer service? ....
That is what the UA materials state.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:49 pm

I've sent a claim a week ago and (other than automated CS email) got nothing so far. Is this an expected result? If they do not respond - what's the next step?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I've sent a claim a week ago and (other than automated CS email) got nothing so far. Is this an expected result? ...
Best to review this thread to get a sense of that.

... If they do not respond - what's the next step?
Try again or take legal action in Israel. Legal action in the USA or going to the US DoT is not possible.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:53 pm

Well, next time I am in Israel I guess. What's the point of having laws if airlines are free to ignore them
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I have not used them, but they seem popular in Hebrew and have an English site and the ability to open a file online. Not sure if there are other resources (yet) like they have in the EU such as companies who do all the work for you (for 25% of the compensation), but I recommend using a law firm like this as much as possible until international airlines learn that international pax are not "exempt" from the law

http://eng.rotbaumlaw.com/open-an-electronic-file/
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:27 am

Thanks, will try.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:41 pm

My husband and I got our cash cards today- filed our claim October 31.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
See below I got this 30 days after sending one email to UA for a flight from EWR to TLV (UA 90) on Oct. 26 which was Canceled due to maintenance.

------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Nov 29, 2016 2:44 PM
Subject: United Airlines
Cc:

Dear

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience you experienced during
the interruption of your travel plans on October 26, 2016. We regret
your travel plans were disrupted and your luggage was not returned in
the same manner.

We have carefully reviewed your concerns and we are unable to fulfill
your compensation request however, as alternative options under Israeli
Air Service Regulation, we would like to offer you a choice of a $1,000
(USD) United Travel Certificate* (redeemable and transferable toward the
purchase of any United or United Express operated flight) or 30,000
United MileagePlus miles only to impacted passenger's account
(redeemable on flights operated by United, United Express or by Air
Canada, ANA, Austrian, Lufthansa, SAS Scandinavian, Swiss, Thai and 20
additional Star Alliance partners worldwide.)

To view additional MileagePlus services and award options within the
world's largest network, including Star Alliance and our other global
partners, please visit us at: http://www.united.com/mileageplus.

Travel Certificates are valid for twelve (12) months and MileagePlus
miles are valid for 18 months. If you are not already a MileagePlus
member, simply enroll online at: http://www.united.com/mileageplus, then
respond with your new account number and we'all credit your account.

If you desire one of these options, please let us know your preference
and we'all facilitate delivery via e-mail within 3-5 business days.

However, if you wish to pursue cash compensation of GIRLS under the
AISLE regulation, please verify your address where you would like for us
to send it. You will receive a check mailed to you in your local
currency USD$819.23 USD per person ticketed and impacted by this flight
irregularity (Please provide traveling companion names and MileagePlus
numbers). Processing of your payment may take up to 4-6 weeks. If you
have receipts for the ground transportation to/from the airport, please
attach or send a copy for possible reimbursement.

We ask you contact Baggage Resolution for baggage concerns.

As a MileagePlus member, we consider it a privilege to serve you and
look forward to the opportunity to see you aboard the friendly skies of
United soon. I truly hope your next travel plans with us deliver the
seamless customer experience you deserve. Thank you again for your
business.

Sincerely,

Corporate Customer Care
United Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.