FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best practices / experiences for making claims based on Israel Aviation Services Law
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:42 pm
CAwings

Programs: UAL Gold/1MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
So, looks like a year later United is still using the same "force majeure" nonsense. Got this response today from "Mrs. Amin:"

We have again reviewed your request for cash compensation and found that we complied with all the applicable regulations at the time of your flight.

I understand that the delay was, at best, very frustrating and truly regret you were disappointed. Please let me explain why cash compensation is not applicable under the Israeli Air Passenger Law. Because all routine preventative maintenance actions were performed on the aircraft as scheduled, and the cancellation could not have been reasonably predicted or avoided, the event is considered force majeure and exclusionary to the mandatory compensation rules.

Please know that our legal department carefully reviews each of these matters with our system and technical operations groups to ensure we are in full compliance with the appropriate legal standards. Although the cause of the irregularity was extraordinary and unable to be avoided, we did what we could to minimize it, and have nothing further to advise at this point.

Because we do recognize that your flight plans were negatively impacted, as a tangible gesture of our regret, we proactively sent each passenger who we had contact information for, an electronic travel certificate valid toward a discount on a future United flight.

We await for our reply with the phone call receipts. Again, once we receive the receipts, we can issue a check to cover some, if not all, of your expenses. Although additional compensation is not forthcoming, we sincerely hope that you will choose to fly with United Airlines in the future.

Responded by saying I have no logistical issues filing suit at the magistrate's court of proper venue in Israel, where United's liability goes from 3,000 NIS to 10,000 NIS. Also filed a DOT complaint and reached out to UA Insider, who promised to elevate to the Refunds team.

We shall see.