Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Married segments on award tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

PHL-FRA-AMS shows award availability, but not PHL-FRA

I am searching for 2 award tickets from PHL to FRA on 5/15/2014.

When I search for PHL to AMS on that date I see a routing PHL-FRA-AMS. However, if I just search PHL-FRA I don't see anything.

Any idea what is going on?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
No saver awards or no award space at all?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

No saver award space for PHL-FRA, but saver for PHL-FRA-AMS
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sounds like married segments.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Book the double connection, ticket, then call back to drop the 2nd segment
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sounds like married segments.
I see. I have never heard that term before. Can you explain more?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by evthu
I see. I have never heard that term before. Can you explain more?
It's exactly what you found. United is willing to sell a ticket from PHL-AMS via FRA, but not a flight simple from PHL-FRA. Airline fares are based on demand between the endpoints without regard for intermediate points - more people want to fly from PHL-FRA than from PHL-AMS, so inventory is adjusted appropriately to make it more expensive to fly PHL-FRA, and you can only get the cheap PHL-FRA flight if you continue on to a "less desirable" city. It doesn't normally apply to awards, but this is not unheard of.

If you search FT (or Google), you will find lots more about married segments.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

It's exactly what you found. United is willing to sell a ticket from PHL-AMS via FRA, but not a flight simple from PHL-FRA. Airline fares are based on demand between the endpoints without regard for intermediate points - more people want to fly from PHL-FRA than from PHL-AMS, so inventory is adjusted appropriately to make it more expensive to fly PHL-FRA, and you can only get the cheap PHL-FRA flight if you continue on to a "less desirable" city. It doesn't normally apply to awards, but this is not unheard of.
Interesting. I had heard of hidden city ticketing for paid tickets but did not think it was a thing for award tickets.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by evthu
Interesting. I had heard of hidden city ticketing for paid tickets but did not think it was a thing for award tickets.
I guess married segments could be seen as related to hidden cities.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat

If you search FT (or Google), you will find lots more about married segments.
This is categorically false. Married segments do not apply to *A award inventory.

This is either an IT issue, or phantom availability. If it's the former, it can easily be booked by calling.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
This is categorically false. Married segments do not apply to *A award inventory.
Maybe they're not supposed to be, but it has happened before.

But I will agree that it could well be YASB (yet another SHARES bug).

(And you should note that I specifically said it sounds like married segments. I intentionally didn't say it definitely was.)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by star_world

This is either an IT issue, or phantom availability. If it's the former, it can easily be booked by calling.
Precisely. The only way married segments get involved with award buckets is direct flights, and I don't think PHL-FRA-AMS exists on a single flight number.

As for hidden city, that's not really related. That has to do with the way fares are filed, while married segments are an inventory-based revenue management tool.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they're not supposed to be, but it has happened before.

But I will agree that it could well be YASB (yet another SHARES bug).

(And you should note that I specifically said it sounds like married segments. I intentionally didn't say it definitely was.)
I have seen and booked smth similar before. Online i could book MOW-FRA-LAX award but FRA-LAX itself was not available when i tried to link a more convenient MOW-FRA segment. Even more bizarre is that 1K desk could not see any availability i saw online. I booked it and it went through fine.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:30 pm

Married segments on award tickets?

KOA-DEN-EWR shows XN9, X9
When searched separately, the same DEN-EWR segment shows XN0, X0
Nevertheless, the entire KOA-DEN-EWR itinerary successfully ticketed in XN

Never seen this before on UA.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Saver Awards only on Certain Routings?

Never remember having this problem.

IAH - ORD no saver awards

IAH - ORD - LHR saver available

Confirmed with agent on the phone only possible to book this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.