Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update on Upgraded International Long-haul United Economy Dining [Eff 1-June 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
That's because they decided to make it a domesticated flight in terms of onboard service never mind the fact that the international upgrade rules still apply
Domesticated? Was Martha Stewart onboard?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I raised this issue in April - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24682308-post125.html - and was roundly attacked for doing so. Alas, it was rather simple to see what would happen, and every report back so far on the pacific flights has been critical.

United's service quality continues to fall, and I think with this they are nothing more than Spirit with a bigger plane on TPAC flights. UA currently has a revenue disadvantage (it is having to charge less to attract fliers) and this will just get worse as how bad United truly is gets wider and wider awareness.
Just wait until they move to a full BOB model on TPAC routes. They already do it on routes where they have no foreign competition. Guam to Honolulu and Hawaii to the mainland. And these flights are often longer than TATL. The only reason why UA keeps TATL and TPAC service levels with some complementary meals is because it would not be competitive with the foreign carriers otherwise.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Just wait until they move to a full BOB model on TPAC routes. They already do it on routes where they have no foreign competition. Guam to Honolulu and Hawaii to the mainland. And these flights are often longer than TATL. The only reason why UA keeps TATL and TPAC service levels with some complementary meals is because it would not be competitive with the foreign carriers otherwise.
depends which foreign competitors
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I'm confused.

The pre-arrival sandwich in economy class on transatlantic flights is not new to this 2015 meal refresh.

There's been some variant of turkey + edam on a pretzel roll for several years now. It's my favorite part of flying UA in coach westbound and it's wonderful to see that it's still being served.
It has been a number of years since I've flown from Europe in Y, but I was really surprised to find that the pretzel roll sandwich and potato chips were the pre-arrival snack.

It was far less substantial (and I thought less "tasty" (relative standard)) than the French toast and fruit that I was served on the same route eastbound.

And while I dozed off for a little while, so may have missed it, I didn't see them do a pass through with the BoB, although it was available in the back.

In the FA's defense, though, they were minimum crew.

Greg
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Seems like people are going 9+ hours without a meal on some of these flights? Almost like UA want grumpy, irritable customers?
Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't see this as an issue?

A 10 hour period, where you're largely sedentary and often sleeping, with a lunch or dinner before it and breakfast after it... sounds like something most people do every day.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell

A 10 hour period, where you're largely sedentary and often sleeping, with a lunch or dinner before it and breakfast after it... sounds like something most people do every day.
Yes, I routinely go about 12 hours, and had the same reaction as you. As much as I hate to say this, on some flights I don't need to eat as often as they serve. On a short TATL from EWR, I had dinner and then they served breakfast less than 5 hours later. I had a few bites since I didn't know how long it would be until lunch.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, I routinely go about 12 hours, and had the same reaction as you. As much as I hate to say this, on some flights I don't need to eat as often as they serve. On a short TATL from EWR, I had dinner and then they served breakfast less than 5 hours later. I had a few bites since I didn't know how long it would be until lunch.
True, but you're illustrating the point that others have made: that which is acceptable on a TATL out of EWR/IAD is not necessarily so on a TPAC flight.

SFO-HKG feeds you lunch in the early afternoon, and then nothing but BoB until roughly 2AM body time. Most people would not eat a small lunch (like that which UA serves in Y) and then nothing for dinner.

I prefer the BoB to the little sandwiches, but I do think the meal service is inadequate, and have to supplement with panini or something that I get at the airport.

Greg
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:40 pm

On a recent TATL route CDG-SFO the flight attendants gave out crackers and cheese as the mid-flight snack, and then offered BoB snack boxes for sale. I felt very hungry after the flight. One meal and a small sandwich for a 12-hour flight were simply not enough food. FAs certainly figured out that passengers would be even more grumpy had they distributed the crackers and cheese as the appetizer before the meal, so they kept those as the mid-flight offering. I wonder if the management knows about this practice.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by greg99
True, but you're illustrating the point that others have made: that which is acceptable on a TATL out of EWR/IAD is not necessarily so on a TPAC flight.

SFO-HKG feeds you lunch in the early afternoon, and then nothing but BoB until roughly 2AM body time. Most people would not eat a small lunch (like that which UA serves in Y) and then nothing for dinner.

I prefer the BoB to the little sandwiches, but I do think the meal service is inadequate, and have to supplement with panini or something that I get at the airport.

Greg
I pretty much echo these comments. There is something wrong when the service is the same on a 8 hour flight to Europe and a 15 hour flight to Asia. While the sandwiches may not have been the greatest in Economy at least they were of some substance compared to what is in a BOB snack box, which some would see more as "processed junk food."

An interesting statistic would be to see what is the average flight time of a pmUA INTL flight and a pmCO INTL flight.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA
Flew IAH to MUC last week, meal consisted of:
Crackers+Milk Product (I refuse to call it cheese when the label calls it a milk product and when it doesn't taste like cheese)

Pasta (ravioli) or Chicken/mashed potatoes + cold roll, chickpea salad

Vanilla ice cream

Pre-arrival:
Cold croissant with strawberry jam.

I haven't flown TATL in Y for 6 years but this seemed worse than what I received TPAC in January. In all honestly I think they could save time if they just kept the old service. IMO its the same exact food except they just space it out into "3 courses". The ice cream is an upgrade on a cookie/cake they used to supply. Pre-arrival for was "breakfast" and was unacceptable. Maybe if the croissant was warm it would have been passable but there was no protein.

On the return I flew LHR-IAH. Pretty much the same options but pre-arrival for lunch was the warm turkey sandwich.

Overall it was par for the course from United however the IAH-MUC croissant definitely needs to be eliminated. The one really good aspect about splitting the meal into courses is that you can get drinks twice. Normally I would need to ring my bell as one 4oz cup of water isn't enough for me.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear

No, it's not just you.

I find the rhetoric about how cruel UA is being by not offering free food during an 8-10 hour sleep period to be baffling. If you routinely eat while sleeping and need a midnight snack, bring it on board or purchase it. It's not rocket science.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
nearly (as in 90+%) everyone who has posted after being on these TPAC flights has not been happy.

The west coast flights leave at 11-noon, and people get fed at 1-1:30 pm biological time, and no most folks don't fall asleep (some do, some don't) to then not feed folks until 11 pm or midnight (and then a very crappy light "snack" at most given the portion size) is not going over very well.

TPAC west bound it is less of an issue ex-Japan, but ex-HKG (or China) the flights leave at noon-ish (hkg is 11:30 am) and the current "savvy" plan feeds folks a crappy/small/junky meal at about 1 pm, then nothing until a yet smaller/crappier meal at about 11 pm biological time.

While I agreed the heavy medication to cause sleep is probably the way to deal with any United Airlines flight I can assure you that no other airline flying TPAC on these routes is only serving two meals, let alone of the low quality that UA serves. Every other airline serves three meals, and of better quality. I've recently been on CX, Asiana, JAL, and ANA, all blow United's doors off. United is not only not competitive, but starving folks is not going over well.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
No, it's not just you.

I find the rhetoric about how cruel UA is being by not offering free food during an 8-10 hour sleep period to be baffling. If you routinely eat while sleeping and need a midnight snack, bring it on board or purchase it. It's not rocket science.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2015 at 12:37 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
The west coast flights leave at 11-noon, and people get fed at 1-1:30 pm biological time, and no most folks don't fall asleep (some do, some don't) to then not feed folks until 11 pm or midnight (and then a very crappy light "snack" at most given the portion size) is not going over very well.

TPAC west bound it is less of an issue ex-Japan, but ex-HKG (or China) the flights leave at noon-ish (hkg is 11:30 am) and the current "savvy" plan feeds folks a crappy/small/junky meal at about 1 pm, then nothing until a yet smaller/crappier meal at about 11 pm biological time.
Agreed with all (and it's applicable to the early bank of eastbound SFO/LAX-Europe and all of the westbound flights, as well).

It's not a function of being cruel. It's just unpleasant to have to think about carrying food (other than granola bars/candy/etc.) that will still be viable after many hours unrefrigerated.

Greg
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, I routinely go about 12 hours, and had the same reaction as you. As much as I hate to say this, on some flights I don't need to eat as often as they serve.
On a recent west bound TPAC, my daughter brought two sandwiches on board.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 13, 2015 at 12:42 am Reason: discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:00 am

It's a plot to sell snack boxes. Nothing more, nothing less.

I expect minimal complaints honestly because people are so used to paying for everything at this point.

People that still fly UA t-pac are still flying UA for a reason (i.e. company policy, lack of trust in Asian airlines' pilot training standards, close to 1MM, concerns about English, GPU lottery, etc.) and they aren't going to switch to an Asian carrier just because they have to pay $7.99 for a mid-flight snack box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.