Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:14 pm

Last month I rode v5 and for the first time got stuck in a window seat (4A) from NRT-GUM (due to the configuration changing and me thinking I was automatically in 4B when in fact was assigned to 4A). I was extremely disappointed at how narrow the seat was, OR how close the window seats are to the fuselage. Can anyone confirm if the window seats on v2 are also flush against the wall like v5 and v6? Consensus on v2 for example is that seat 6A is a good seat, but for me, not if the seat is flush against the fuselage like it is on v5. When I was in 4K on v5, I couldn't understand why my neighbor in 4L kept leaning towards me, and now I understand - it's just so narrow; and what a disappointment in this regard.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by trust77
Consensus on v2 for example is that seat 6A is a good seat
Not just a good seat, best seat in the cabin.

But really subject for a different thread.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by EWR764
N773UA, the last of the XD (3-cabin 77A) ships, recently went to HKG for 77G mod. Since early January it was almost exclusively doing SFO-EWR-SFO with a short EWR turn and RON at SFO. Fortunately that rotation goes to 77W starting tomorrow.
And on the other hand, United is posting the seat map for the old domestic F 772 (5 rows of First, 2-5-2 in the back) for two weeks from now (3/9-10) SFO-ORD-SFO flights... Perhaps that is making a come back. NO way I book those flights, either in F (where they want $641 OW vs $400 or less on other flights) or in Y where they also want more $$$. It is just a crap shoot what you will get today on United. I could get a real lie flat, or a hawaii coniguration, and in the back I could get a very nice seat or a seat that is .8" narrower than on a 737, an isle I have to carry my roller-board down, and a non-stop ding, ding, ding to keep me awake.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
It is just a crap shoot what you will get today on United. I could get a real lie flat, or a hawaii coniguration, and in the back I could get a very nice seat or a seat that is .8" narrower than on a 737, an isle I have to carry my roller-board down, and a non-stop ding, ding, ding to keep me awake.
How is that different from any other airline with multiple aircraft configurations?

Same is true with CX regional, for example, and that is an ongoing, permanent issue, not related to a temporary aircraft conversion process which will be complete in several months.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
How is that different from any other airline with multiple aircraft configurations?

Same is true with CX regional, for example, and that is an ongoing, permanent issue, not related to a temporary aircraft conversion process which will be complete in several months.
I am not sure that CX posts seat maps for a configuration that (a) no longer exists and (b) is much better.

I also doubt that CX will try to sell a seat for MORE on a plane (as they were when I looked SFO-ORD-SFO) that is likely to end up being a far worse configuration/seat/space. YMMV.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:40 pm

I am not sure that CX posts seat maps for a configuration that . . . is much better.
That's exactly what CX does. People buy the lie-flat, wind up with the substantially inferior regional configuration.

There's a 25 page thread in the CX forum on one route alone: SIN-HKG Equipment Lottery - Regional Equipment Swaps.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
On the new 77W SFO-EWR route. Is it possible to buy all 4 middle seats at $119 a seat so you can "lie flat"?

With J cabin going going for $2k- $2.5k always wondered if this is possible.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhunt
On the new 77W SFO-EWR route. Is it possible to buy all 4 middle seats at $119 a seat so you can "lie flat"?...
The most a single traveler can buy and keep after boarding is 2 seats.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-flights.html
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by warreng24
Anyone have experience as to how they are handling the 2-5-2 to 3-4-3 seat reaccomondation due to aircraft swap?

Example.

We are booked on UA 724 on 2/25. Seatmap right now shows 2-5-2, but the aircraft currently assigned is N774UA which is a 3-4-3 aircraft.

Do they usually change up the seatmap at check-in? Or will it be a done at the gate?
In June, I had the B seat (aisle in the port-side 2) and on boarding, noticed the swap to 3-4-3. They had kept me in B, which was now the port-side middle. It was a long flight, what with all the dingin' and dingin'.

I probably would have noticed it at online check-in, but I did "auto check-in" because I was going to be out of cell range until shortly before the flight.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bhunt
On the new 77W SFO-EWR route. Is it possible to buy all 4 middle seats at $119 a seat so you can "lie flat"?

With J cabin going going for $2k- $2.5k always wondered if this is possible.
4x17" is 5'8". Can you lie flat?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Please forgive me if this was asked before, but why are there two versions of this plane, V5 and V6?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Please forgive me if this was asked before, but why are there two versions of this plane, V5 and V6?
Because there were derived from two different previous versions -- a 3 class international and a 2-class domestic. The key difference is the rear lavatories configuration.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
And on the other hand, United is posting the seat map for the old domestic F 772 (5 rows of First, 2-5-2 in the back) for two weeks from now (3/9-10) SFO-ORD-SFO flights... Perhaps that is making a come back. NO way I book those flights, either in F (where they want $641 OW vs $400 or less on other flights) or in Y where they also want more $$$. It is just a crap shoot what you will get today on United. I could get a real lie flat, or a hawaii coniguration, and in the back I could get a very nice seat or a seat that is .8" narrower than on a 737, an isle I have to carry my roller-board down, and a non-stop ding, ding, ding to keep me awake.
I actually flew it on 3/9 and it stuck all the way from booking to boarding.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I actually flew it on 3/9 and it stuck all the way from booking to boarding.
And you "win" at Russian roulette 7 out of 8 times. I think your chances booking a UA 777 on a domestic leg in Y are worse at this point.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
And on the other hand, United is posting the seat map for the old domestic F 772 (5 rows of First, 2-5-2 in the back) for two weeks from now (3/9-10) SFO-ORD-SFO flights... Perhaps that is making a come back.
I am not sure that CX posts seat maps for a configuration that (a) no longer exists
The post was in reference to the IPTE configuration on the 777-222 (non-ER, former XD) which indeed no longer exists and is no longer posted in the schedule. If you see a three-cabin 777 on a domestic route, it's the XQ configuration and a 777-222ER.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.