Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles
Just curious, but has it been confirmed that Y+ is also going 3-4-3? It seems with the seat increase Y+ could stay 2-5-2 (or 3-3-3) and Y- could be 3-4-3 and hit the new seat count.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
The technology isn't there yet at all.
Based on my experiences on WN, the technology is there. UA's is just unreliable.

Depending on aircraft, the content selection can also be incredibly weak. On EWR-RDU last week on a 738, 90% of the selections were movies, which makes zero sense on a 70 minute flight. They didn't have a single tv show I wanted to watch. Compare with that AV, CX, or TG (recent experiences) where they have entire seasons of high end tv loaded (Fargo, True Detective, etc.).
Old Mar 9, 2016, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
That's why, even though I am not a fan of the 50-seaters, I would be fine if they ditched all the CRJ2s and kept the E145s...just don't fly those things on flights blocked out for more than 1.5 hours. In getting to small outposts nearby for vacations, I do not care two bits if it's in an E170/175 v. E145.
If they don't put the 50 seaters on long flights, those markets will lose frequency and/or diverse network access.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
\In any event, these aircraft will not be limited to Hawaii routes. We are going to see them on hub-to-hubs, particularly between SFO/LAX and ORD, IAD, and EWR. That's where 8% J/Y ratio is really going to hurt.
I wonder if we will see them on the SFO/LAX-EWR PS routes? It seems to me that what UA needs on that route is more BF seats to sell, not more coach seats. The 28 BF domestic 777 is the same number as the pmUA 757.

I wonder if UA has the fleet capacity to allocate some internationally configured 772s to SFO-EWR? That's what they really need to get PS F capacity into the market.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
I wonder if we will see them on the SFO/LAX-EWR PS routes? It seems to me that what UA needs on that route is more BF seats to sell, not more coach seats. The 28 BF domestic 777 is the same number as the pmUA 757.

I wonder if UA has the fleet capacity to allocate some internationally configured 772s to SFO-EWR? That's what they really need to get PS F capacity into the market.
The domestic 777s will fly main land HNL - GUM - NRT routes some domestic hub to hub. And no outside of the few months that the 3-cabin 777 is on LAX/SFO - EWR there won't be any 3-cabin 777s on the route after that Time frame. And remember while the 3-cabin 777s are flying the route F inventory will be zeroed out and service will be treated as the other PS flights using the 757.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EmailKid
And why did she choose Allegiant?

Price

OTAs are starting to include additional info including pitch, but as JOSECONLSCREW28 correctly points out, people, especially Kettles, buy on price @:-)

And no, I'm not implying anything about your daughter
They might start out buying on price, but when they see what they get, some have second thoughts.

Their next vacation that involved flying was on DL, by the way.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:41 am

I think it's really going to suck. The configuration is super tight and there's no AVOD. Per usual, wait for the server system to crash or break and then FA's have to deal with a crowded plane full of angry people.

I'm curious of what research UA conducts about IFE because while AA & DL install new AVOD systems, UA insists on streaming. The technology isn't there yet at all.
AA is not installing any AVOD on the nose to tail reconfigured US Airways A319s that started coming online last last year. Completely counter to what the legacy AA 319s had installed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

The USA Today article references there will be holders designed for both phones and tablets in the seats of the UA 777s, if that's the case a big step forward.

Reality is AVOD with large components for each seat will become archaic. Interestingly enough, the big technology hurdle is crash testing of large tablet screens (aviation AVOD screens are plastic).

Never bet against technology getting faster and more reliable.

And never bet against airlines having an opportunity to reduce weight.

As for biz class...Guam seems to operate in a different era.

28 seats forward of door 2...could see...

4 rows of 2x2x2 seats, plus a pair of seats where the forward lav is now, and the other pair the opposite side of row 1.

Question is whether they go with the legacy CO version of the seat.

Or, will they go the full recycle route....and take the UA 2x2x2 seat modules from the 767-300s that are going from 3 class to 2 class.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I read that USA Today article and it seems like UA is ripping out the IPTE AVOD in favor of steaming? Can you imagine lie flat F seats with no AVOD? That's insane.

This airline's management is so retarded. I hope people write in about this.
Lie flat F with no AVOD is exactly all I want to pay for.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 10, 2016 at 10:14 am Reason: off topic comments removed
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Does anyone know what kind of seats will be going on the 777 3-4-3 reconfiguration? Is it going to be the BE Aerospace slimlines on the 737s?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I read that USA Today article and it seems like UA is ripping out the IPTE AVOD in favor of steaming? Can you imagine lie flat F seats with no AVOD? That's insane.

WiFi + Streaming - with in-seat power available - is better in just about every way. Ditch the screens and replace with a tablet holder. Don't need 'em.

Who doesn't travel with either a smartphone or a tablet or a laptop these days?

Now, if they can add live streaming of DirecTV to the stored content streaming, that'd be the best of all worlds.

The only thing I ever watch on the IFE is the flight map.... And even that, I can just use the unitedwifi.com page to replace.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Amen.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 10, 2016 at 10:16 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post and off topic comment removed
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ski131
USA Today says the reconfigured domestic 777-200's will have 364 seats (28C and 336Y) with 10 abreast in Y. Assuming the 28 C flat beds are all forward of 2L like the current 32 C recliners, it seems strange that the plane would only gain 20 Y seats. Does this mean E+ will remain 9 abreast?

Other things to note, it says updates will occur between May 2016 and May 2017 and that Y will continue with ISP/Streaming but no TVs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...777s/81519220/
For me, this is the worst news to come out of United in a long, long time.

Is it confirmed that E+ is also going {HD}?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 9, 2016 at 9:35 am Reason: removed potentially offensive term
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
How dare UA not consult with the people of FT when doing fleet mods. The 19 777s getting reconfigured are getting completely New seats and the AVOD systems aren't compatible with them . You do realize there's more to flying then AVOD don't you? Outside of FT most people choose based on price and schedule they could care less about AVOD.
2009-2012: United spends money to retrofit 2-5-2 777s to IPTE including installing brand new F, J, and Y seats with AVOD.

2016: United rips out RELATIVELY NEW AVOD SYSTEMS in favor of high density aircraft with nothing.

To me, they wasted tons of money to retrofit 777s only to gut them a few years later. And when AA & DL are taking delivery of new and retrofitted aircraft with AVOD installed?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2016 at 8:25 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
It's hard to defend this move. You know darn well based on threads here that the servers are going to break. UA's streaming system is not reliable at all. I vote with my wallet and won't bother to be putting up with it. Maybe at dumpy EWR you'll have to suck it up and deal.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 10, 2016 at 10:15 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post & response to that removed
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

It's hard to defend this move. You know darn well based on threads here that the servers are going to break. UA's streaming system is not reliable at all. I vote with my wallet and won't bother to be putting up with it. Maybe at dumpy EWR you'll have to suck it up and deal.
The article only mentioned that they are adding wi-fi and streaming. Nothing about removing AVOD.

FWIW, UA is adding content streaming on planes that already have AVOD.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am

It's hard to defend this move. You know darn well based on threads here that the servers are going to break. UA's streaming system is not reliable at all. I vote with my wallet and won't bother to be putting up with it.
There are reliability issues with streaming and hard-wired IFE. Mature streaming platforms are more reliable since there are many, many fewer pieces of hardware.

What makes America great is that we have multiple airlines to choose from. If hard-wired, seat-back IFE is an important part of your personal value proposition on domestic flights, there are two airlines that can guarantee you a screen on every domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.