Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:44 pm

My wife and I each got $500 vouchers for vdb on 1/31 sfo-san. Rebooked on flight 5 hours later with confirmed seats. Should have tried for 2 hours later flight on standby - it was booked full but left with 5 empty seats.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mathprof
My wife and I each got $500 vouchers for vdb on 1/31 sfo-san. Rebooked on flight 5 hours later with confirmed seats. Should have tried for 2 hours later flight on standby - it was booked full but left with 5 empty seats.
Nice! That's decent payout for a 1 hour flight and not too bad given the wait.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Got a $300 voucher, plus 2 $7 food vouchers for switching from a IAH-EWR-BOS to a non-stop IAH-BOS that got in 2 hours later than my original flight.

Not bad considering the entire RT flight was only $207 AI.

Question - can I get ORC for the originally booked connection even though I took the VDB?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

On an award ticket a few weeks ago. Trying to get back to ORD during the storm.

Was on the last scheduled flight back to ORD. Every flight after that was already cancelled. When I got to the gate, they said that they needed one volunteer. I told them I had nothing better to do than stay; they said that they will let me know at the last minute if that was okay. No problem by me.

They were close but the one person they were paging didn't show up. Told me to board. No problem. A few minutes later, the agent came on and asked if I was still willing to volunteer. Sure, I said, nothing has changed (I had no checked luggage).

I went off and she told me that I could pick whatever flight I wanted the next day. I picked the first flight that had F. No problem.

The ironic part - while she was printing out the voucher for my comp, hotel and meals, she received a message on her radio (I could hear it) that the plane I was just on was coming back to the gate because of issues at ORD.

She finished my comp and then met the aircraft. The flight was eventually cancelled. So I really made out as the other passengers got zip and had to spend the night with no hotel or comp.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The ironic part - while she was printing out the voucher for my comp, hotel and meals, she received a message on her radio (I could hear it) that the plane I was just on was coming back to the gate because of issues at ORD.

She finished my comp and then met the aircraft. The flight was eventually cancelled. So I really made out as the other passengers got zip and had to spend the night with no hotel or comp.
Cha-ching!

I love that. Or when you look back and it was delayed, and your rebooking option actually beat the original flight in.

Any time you can come out ahead and #MakeJeffPay is a good day in my book.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
On an award ticket a few weeks ago. Trying to get back to ORD during the storm.

Was on the last scheduled flight back to ORD. Every flight after that was already cancelled. When I got to the gate, they said that they needed one volunteer. I told them I had nothing better to do than stay; they said that they will let me know at the last minute if that was okay. No problem by me.

They were close but the one person they were paging didn't show up. Told me to board. No problem. A few minutes later, the agent came on and asked if I was still willing to volunteer. Sure, I said, nothing has changed (I had no checked luggage).

I went off and she told me that I could pick whatever flight I wanted the next day. I picked the first flight that had F. No problem.

Love stuff like that. Took comp on an MSY-MCO flight a million years ago to wait 2 hours and the first flight came back for maintenance and left after we did.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Was mad, coming back from a MR on super bowl weekend, I noticed right as I was boarding my short hop from IAD-EWR that they were offering $500 for volunteers (it was up on the screen). Missed out on that one, would have basically paid for the mileage run itself with that.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Got a $300 voucher, plus 2 $7 food vouchers for switching from a IAH-EWR-BOS to a non-stop IAH-BOS that got in 2 hours later than my original flight.

Question - can I get ORC for the originally booked connection even though I took the VDB?
No, I believe I've read on FT that your record needs to be noted as INVOL to get ORC. I know I've tried twice and was told no since it was voluntary and I was compensated for that. Wouldn't hurt to ask, YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995

Yep... call MP and they will take care of it. I have had this work out on a few occasions.... though others in the forums indicate otherwise.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Yep... call MP and they will take care of it. I have had this work out on a few occasions.... though others in the forums indicate otherwise.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Can't hurt to try.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Another bump

On Sunday, February 8, I was bumped from UA 1111 from EWR to LAS. I turned in my volunteer document as soon as a gate agent appeared. Then they made the oversold announcement offering a $500 voucher. My new routing was via ORD: EWR to ORD on a B763 in biz class and then ORD to LAS in first class on an A320. Of course, I was happy.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I'm on UA1600 EWR-LAX coming up on 2/15 .... could be interesting. F1 / Y1 (Y was confirmed booked full though showing Y4 after I called reservations to switch onto this flight) ... though I think the weather is going to cause many missed connections and throw a wrench into any hopes of a VDB this weekend in the northeast quadrant. We shall see. I need a payday and some vouchers so I can vacation in FL for free.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: EY Gold, GF Gold, IHG Plat, UA Gold
1st item. Been offered a $150 VBD from YHZ to EWR tomorrow, 16FEB in the afternoon.

2nd item. There is a record storm here in Halifax so airport has been closed (city closed, too) so tomorrow may not be better than today. This will mean at least 3+ flights have not gone out today to EWR on UA plus tomorrow's cancellations, but that will unfold in time.

3rd item. I'm flying on UA to: YHZ-EWR-HKG (CX)-MNL. I want to reroute last leg HKG-CEB on CX.

What can I ask for compensation at the gate? Is there any cause for re-routing? I dunno. I had an epic hellish of a time booking this trip in the beginning owing to a UA website complication involving 7 hours of SKYPE calls and now irrops may allow for some tweaking to get the flight from HKG to CEB that I originally wanted?

I might be lumping different issues together in hopes they can be sorted out with re-ticketing.

@:-) ?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Was the $150 from your online check-in process (flight may be overbooked, we may need volunteers, would you be willing to accept $150)? There's no guarantee that that offer will translate to them actually needing volunteers tomorrow. I'd say no more than 20-30% of the time I've gotten the check-in offer they actually end up needing people (maybe less). They especially won't need volunteers if the flight is cancelled due to weather.

Anyways, if they do need volunteers and you are among the lucky ones chosen, in theory they may let you re-route to a different airport (I've done this domestically no problem, but never tried it internationally). But, I bet they'd only let you do that if you have to take a later EWR-HKG flight or a different connection altogether.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rascally14
1st item. Been offered a $150 VBD from YHZ to EWR tomorrow, 16FEB in the afternoon.

2nd item. There is a record storm here in Halifax so airport has been closed (city closed, too) so tomorrow may not be better than today. This will mean at least 3+ flights have not gone out today to EWR on UA plus tomorrow's cancellations, but that will unfold in time.

3rd item. I'm flying on UA to: YHZ-EWR-HKG (CX)-MNL. I want to reroute last leg HKG-CEB on CX.

What can I ask for compensation at the gate? ...
What would be the grounds for compensation????
1- VDB -- up to you to accept or reject
2 - WX issue are not grounds for compensation, especially if airport closed.
3- reroute on partner, changing destination because you want is unlikely to happen for free
... Is there any cause for re-routing? I dunno. I had an epic hellish of time booking this trip in the beginning owing to a UA website complication involving 7 hours of SKYPE calls ...
not really relevant
...and now irrops may allow for some tweaking to get the flight from HKG to CEB that I originally wanted? ...
Possible but leave all the booking angst out of it.
.... I might be lumping different issues together in hopes they can be sorted out with re-ticketing. ....
or just totally confuse the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.