FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ani90
That's a new one. United Economy plus middle seat is now better than BusinessFirst on some flights

Broken BF seat - still IMHO better than E+ seat
Dead screens - can occur independent of cabin
Noise from bulkhead - very predictable and if bothersome can get headphones or choose seat in front of cabin. Besides E+ is close to bulkhead too so faces same noise
Incompetent service - occurs in Y too, if not more frequently, unless one adjusts expectations in Y

Well next time anyone wants to downgrade mid-flight, come find me in 21C and I will happily take your BF seat in any condition.

I would not generalize it so broadly of course. Fact is that I arrived in better shape on TPAC/TATL flights with LH and CA Y than in UA C.

A reclining E seat did allow me to sleep for a few hours while the non-reclining C seat did not. Sleeping the first few hours on a TPAC flight is important to mitigate jetlag. And if there are empty seats next to mine in Y then it gets even better. Rows 9 and 10 in the 747 C are right in front of the E+ bulkhead which sounds just like sitting in the middle of it. Headphones can help mitigate the noise but not in a way that allows sleeping. Of course, someone booking his flight early enough can move more to the front of the cabin. On a TPAC that could mean booking more than a month ahead – not happening in my job.

I guess while feeling the impact of getting older I started looking at the experience more holistically. What really counts most for me is how easily can I recover from the flight and jetlag and in what mood do I arrive? That tends to have more impact on the quality of my life (and those around me).

I was on IAH-SIN recently in SQ Y and left the plane with a smile. Never happened in UA C and my wife noticed the difference.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by unavaca
What routes are you flying where you don't win under the new system? Unless you're flying government fares, full-Y fliers are big winners on the new system.
Also interested in this, as my experience with Y fares in old and new system is much more RPMs (sometimes as much as 3x) in new system.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:48 pm

What routes are you flying where you don't win under the new system? Unless you're flying government fares, full-Y fliers are big winners on the new system.

And TPAC C fliers are big winners, too. IAH-ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT-IAH are ~30k mls flown yielding 120k+ award miles for GS in C (would have been 60k under the old system).

Whether that's worth the hassle is another question that everyone has to answer for himself.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
And TPAC C fliers are big winners, too. IAH-ORD-HKG-SIN-NRT-IAH are ~30k mls flown yielding 120k+ award miles for GS in C (would have been 60k under the old system).

Whether that's worth the hassle is another question that everyone has to answer for himself.
75k cap
Old May 24, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
TPAC originating from Asia.

let me make a slight clarification: I fly B fare, which I was told is full fare, but I know some don't view it as full fare.

I would not generalize it so broadly of course. Fact is that I arrived in better shape on TPAC/TATL flights with LH and CA Y than in UA C.

A reclining E seat did allow me to sleep for a few hours while the non-reclining C seat did not. Sleeping the first few hours on a TPAC flight is important to mitigate jetlag. And if there are empty seats next to mine in Y then it gets even better. Rows 9 and 10 in the 747 C are right in front of the E+ bulkhead which sounds just like sitting in the middle of it. Headphones can help mitigate the noise but not in a way that allows sleeping. Of course, someone booking his flight early enough can move more to the front of the cabin. On a TPAC that could mean booking more than a month ahead – not happening in my job.

I guess while feeling the impact of getting older I started looking at the experience more holistically. What really counts most for me is how easily can I recover from the flight and jetlag and in what mood do I arrive? That tends to have more impact on the quality of my life (and those around me).

I was on IAH-SIN recently in SQ Y and left the plane with a smile. Never happened in UA C and my wife noticed the difference.
So, what made the difference for SQ Y vs UA C that would cause you to smile?

I would be the other way round.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2015 at 9:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 24, 2015, 9:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
..... As a full fare economy flyer, my earnings as a 1K in the new system about 1/3 of what they were prior to the FFP being gutting. .....

let me make a slight clarification: I fly B fare, which I was told is full fare, but I know some don't view it as full fare. ....
This still does not seem right, The breakeven point for 1K is 18.18 cpm and have never seen "published" B fares anywhere near that low. As an 1K on STW fares am doing better than 1/3. B flyers should be doing better than before.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
I am one of them.

Like many here in the forum I was focused on reaching the next milestone (2 MM) before moving on. I am on transpacific and transatlantic flights about 8-10x/year.

It would take me another ~2 years to get to 2MM but why would I want to do that? The two things I really cared for are the lifetime *G status I got with 1MM which gives me access to the NH, LH senator and Gold Kris lounges and a way to spend miles on LH, CA and TG.

During some of the last few UA transpacific flights I ended up downgrading myself from business to economy mid flight because the situation in business class was unbearable (broken seats, dead screens, noise from the E+ bulkhead row, incompetent service etc.) and I wished I had booked an E+ seat instead from the get-go so I would not end up in a middle seat.

...and the AUS airport Hilton offers unlimited free parking :-)
Wow. There's just so much here to not believe. We GS are usually J-Fare paying flyers and you're looking for free parking at a hotel off airport? I've flown twice as much as you this year, last year, and the year before, and I've never had a had a broken J seat. Even if I had, they can be manually reclined. Why would a J-fare-paying customer need *G for lounge access? And blaming UA for bulkhead noise? Oh my...
Old May 25, 2015, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This still does not seem right, The breakeven point for 1K is 18.18 cpm and have never seen "published" B fares anywhere near that low. As an 1K on STW fares am doing better than 1/3. B flyers should be doing better than before.
I said about 1/3. The exact number is 39% but I didn't do the math.

Some data points:
-2014 MQD about $7000
-2014 RDM for airline activity about 180,000

I rounded both numbers.

I also anticipate my MQD to drop given how the USD has firmed up.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 25, 2015 at 1:02 am
Old May 25, 2015, 1:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I said about 1/3. The exact number is 39% but I didn't do the math.

Some data points:
-2014 MQD about $7000

I rounded both numbers.
So if B fares with 25% RDM bonus and 1K 100% RDM bonus, that computes back as 80K base miles.
cpm = 7000*100/80,000 ==> 8.75 cpm , sub 9 cpm??

How , were (typical route) are you finding B fares for 9 cpm???
IME B fares are 30-40 cpm range.

What's your secret??
Old May 25, 2015, 1:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Some data points:
-2014 MQD about $7000
You're leaving UA because of these numbers?
Old May 25, 2015, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So if B fares with 25% RDM bonus and 1K 100% RDM bonus, that computes back as 80K base miles.
cpm = 7000*100/80,000 ==> 8.75 cpm , sub 9 cpm??

How , were (typical route) are you finding B fares for 9 cpm???
IME B fares are 30-40 cpm range.

What's your secret??
The MQD is lower than my out of pocket, I suspect they remove the tax component.

My cpm for EQM isn't as low as your calculations, but it is definitely less than double (or 18cpm).

Most RT are 23-25K BISM for about low-mid $3K based on old exchange rate, based on today's FX it is probably sub $3K.

Last year I did have some help because some of my flights were re-routed due to IRROPS etc, so I earned a few 1000s here and there.

BTW, I am based in Asia.

Originally Posted by tom911
You're leaving UA because of these numbers?
yep.

I have limited earning outside flying so it is also a pain.

My ROI flying non-UA is alot better, especially after UA killed partner awards.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 25, 2015 at 2:14 am
Old May 25, 2015, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Wow. There's just so much here to not believe. We GS are usually J-Fare paying flyers and you're looking for free parking at a hotel off airport? I've flown twice as much as you this year, last year, and the year before, and I've never had a had a broken J seat. Even if I had, they can be manually reclined. Why would a J-fare-paying customer need *G for lounge access? And blaming UA for bulkhead noise? Oh my...
Why would a J-fare-paying customer need *G for lounge access?
Because he may not anymore pay J-fare on his personal trips once he is retired. And then he needs the LT *G for access, which was the motivation behind the 1MM.

It is good to know the J seats can be reclined manually. Nobody knew about that on board.

So, what made the difference for SQ Y vs UA C that would cause you to smile?

I would be the other way round.
Probably a combination of things - food quality, service delivery, professionalism of staff, ability to sleep (the a/c seemed considerably quieter)
It was a personal trip and hence in Y - maybe that is the reason why I paid less attention to the seat width and more to the other aspects. The Y seat was ok, it seems to move a bit to the front when reclining.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 25, 2015 at 7:59 am Reason: Merge
Old May 25, 2015, 5:01 am

Probably a combination of things - food quality, service delivery, professionalism of staff, ability to sleep (the a/c seemed considerably quieter)
It was a personal trip and hence in Y - maybe that is the reason why I paid less attention to the seat width and more to the other aspects. The Y seat was ok, it seems to move a bit to the front when reclining.
That is contrary to what I want.

All I want is a flat seat for flights longer than 7 hours. I prefer the Continental seats over the United seats.

AVOD is a luxury I enjoy but I can survive without it.

I don't care if the food is UA Y.
I don't care if the engines / AC are really loud.
I don't care if the FAs are [jerks] and scream at me when I ring the call button.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 25, 2015 at 11:53 am Reason: Profanity is not allowed
Old May 25, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: *
Well this is very different from what you said earlier. The comparison was not been Y on other carries and J on UA, but you said you had downgraded yourself on United and implying E+ was better than C on United:

During some of the last few UA transpacific flights I ended up downgrading myself from business to economy mid flight because the situation in business class was unbearable (broken seats, dead screens, noise from the E+ bulkhead row, incompetent service etc.) and I wished I had booked an E+ seat instead from the get-go so I would not end up in a middle seat.
Do you really find that (all the package considering) you would arrive in a better shape in a middle E plus seat than you would in row 9 of a 747, regardless of functionality of the seat and AVOD and staff?
Old May 25, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
AVOD is a luxury I enjoy but I can survive without it.

I don't care if the food is UA Y.
I don't care if the engines / AC are really loud.
I don't care if the FAs are [jerks] and scream at me when I ring the call button.
And if you can add that you don't care what time / day you reach your destination, congratulations - you are the new UA's target market.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 25, 2015 at 11:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.