Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:10 am

I have around 120k in MileagePlus.
I want to book 3 tickets on UA.com in Economy SGN-LAX and use 40k each to upgrades those tickets to Business. Is that possible?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hoak
I have around 120k in MileagePlus.
I want to book 3 tickets on UA.com in Economy SGN-LAX and use 40k each to upgrades those tickets to Business. Is that possible?
Assuming you can find the upgrade inventory, yes. You'll also likely pay cash as part of the upgrade process unless you're buying much more expensive tickets.

I would also look at the costs of just buying business class outright. For flights from SE Asia that can often be had for cheap(ish) and confirms right away rather than playing the upgrade game.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:15 am

Overlapping Awards?

I currently have an award from CPT-JNB-IST on SA and TK on 10/1/15. I have another award on hold, which I am planning to book from CPT-JNB-ADD on SA (the CPT-JNB segments are different) which departs on the same day as CPT-JNB-IST on 10/1/15.

I prefer not to cancel the CPT-JNB-IST award because I'd have to pay a $200 redeposit fee and waiting on a schedule change to get it waived since travel is still pretty far out.

Will united.com allow this overlapping booking in my situation? Or will one of my awards get cancelled?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jglenn16
I currently have an award from CPT-JNB-IST on SA and TK on 10/1/15. I have another award on hold, which I am planning to book from CPT-JNB-ADD on SA (the CPT-JNB segments are different) which departs on the same day as CPT-JNB-IST on 10/1/15.

I prefer not to cancel the CPT-JNB-IST award because I'd have to pay a $200 redeposit fee and waiting on a schedule change to get it waived since travel is still pretty far out.

Will united.com allow this overlapping booking in my situation? Or will one of my awards get cancelled?

Thanks!
This has come up from time to time -- while UA disallows impossible bookings and some think it is unfair to others to hold multiple overlapping awards [but who knows if released they would become available for others), it seems there is limited downside risks.

A couple of similar situation posts
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ervations.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tive-days.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ncel-skip.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I'm a UA Gold, and I'm finding that *A premium economy looks pretty sweet compared to UA E+ for long-haul flights. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be bookable on UA stock, but that's not a huge deal for me anyway, since I don't need to worry about PQD as a credit card holder.

Will the miles I accrue in premium economy on, say, LH, AC, or TK accrue the old way -- 1 mile awarded per mile flown -- toward my UA MP balance? And will PQMs accrue as usual as well?

It almost seems too good to be true, but that's how I read the rules....
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:08 pm
formerly mattrendell27

Do United MileagePlus miles earned on Chase cards expire?

Hi,

I am considering applying for the United MileagePlus Explorer Business card from Chase. I am curious about the language that Chase uses on their website describing the expiration of the miles. "Your miles will not expire as long as there is activity on your credit card account, including paying your annual membership fee, and the credit card account is open and not in default. Upon cancellation of your credit card account your miles will expire according to the MileagePlus program rules." Does this mean that if, for example, you wanted to cancel the card before the annual fee became due in one year your miles would expire (including the 50,000 bonus miles) upon cancellation of the card? Or, when you earn the miles are they deposited into your United Mileageplus account and then the miles become subject to the United expiration rules (i.e. miles expire after 18 months of inactivity?).

I'm wondering because I may not have a trip I want to take with United miles for a couple years but may want to cancel the card in a year. If the miles were deposited into your United Mileageplus account I could easily keep them from expiring by making an occasional purchase through the United Shopping Mall. This is how it works with the Barclaycard US Airways Dividend Miles Mastercard (the 50,000 bonus miles and 1x miles on all purchases were all transferred to my US Airways Dividend Miles account and don't seem to be at all associated with my Barclaycard anymore).

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The latter. Subject to MP rules.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat
If you upgrade at airport does the cost of the upgrade count towards PQD requirments?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: United Gold
I checked the United website to confirm, but I also wanted to check FlyerTalk in case the website was wrong or out of date.

I have P class tickets and was wondering if I'll still get 150% for PQM after March 1, 2015 (I know I'll only get 11x RDMs, but that's OK).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I checked the United website to confirm, but I also wanted to check FlyerTalk in case the website was wrong or out of date.

I have P class tickets and was wondering if I'll still get 150% for PQM after March 1, 2015 (I know I'll only get 11x RDMs, but that's OK).
PQMs for UA operated flights have not changed. (Some changes are schedule for 1 March for Partner earning).

See wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html
and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1-2015-a.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
If you are Silver, can you get E+ 24hrs before the flight without checking in? I tried to check in, but it said I had to call and they said they couldn't check me in either and I'll have to do it at the airport.

It's my 2nd leg that I want to try to get E+ on and it's still about 27hrs away, so I'm wondering if I'll have a shot or not in 3rhs.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by 7Lowe
If you are Silver, can you get E+ 24hrs before the flight without checking in? I tried to check in, but it said I had to call and they said they couldn't check me in either and I'll have to do it at the airport. ...
should be able to. What is the checkin issue (travel documents?)?

Originally Posted by 7Lowe
... It's my 2nd leg that I want to try to get E+ on and it's still about 27hrs away, so I'm wondering if I'll have a shot or not in 3rhs.
Yes, you should.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...riences-q.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 26, 2015 at 6:27 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Just came back to answer my own question. You are correct WineCountryUA. 24hrs out from the 2nd leg I was able to choose an E+ seat so the check-in is not necessary.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: *G / OWS / STE+
Just to check quickly - am I right that because Morocco is classed as being in 'Europe' by IATA, for LH they will treat the flights as "Discount Economy within Europe only T, L 0%" rather than the "Discount Economy T, L 100%"?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
If I book a mixed cabin J award, where the domestic leg is in Y, where does that put me on the upgrade list? Is it just determined by my status like usual or better/worse because it's an award? I do have the Chase card if that factors into the equation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.