Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Fbsch
Is it literally impossible to upgrade an award ticket (XN) to Business? (Flying LHR->SFO)

I understand GS can do this with GPU... I'm gold, can I use GPU as well? If not, what is the best way to upgrade my award ticket (XN) to W and then use GPU?
The only way to " upgrade " is to pony up extra miles that would give you Biz redemption.

Unless GS, as you already know.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lupine
I'm not even clear what ticket reissuance means in this case?
Your reservation is out of sync. It happens a lot as the company makes updates over the weekend. You can either wait and it should resolve itself in a few days or call in and ask the agent to re-sync the reservation and they'll do so.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:14 am

Thanks grahatd, EmailKid and sbm12.
I checked this morning, and it seems to have sync'd; the message is gone.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Fbsch
Is it literally impossible to upgrade an award ticket (XN) to Business? (Flying LHR->SFO)

I understand GS can do this with GPU... I'm gold, can I use GPU as well? If not, what is the best way to upgrade my award ticket (XN) to W and then use GPU?
The only way you can get into business class is to change the award from economy saver (XN) to business saver (I) by paying the additional miles and any applicable change fee.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was talking to my parents (who are both UA silver). They mentioned to me that for the past few flights, they have not shown up on the upgrade list. On their last flight, I checked online and did not see their name.

Their FF# is in their reservation. They can check their bags for free. it says silver on their BP.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
I was talking to my parents (who are both UA silver). They mentioned to me that for the past few flights, they have not shown up on the upgrade list. On their last flight, I checked online and did not see their name.

Their FF# is in their reservation. They can check their bags for free. it says silver on their BP.
They are refusing to separate PNRs at checkin. As Silvers almost never clear prior to OLCI.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:08 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Paid upgrade TLV-EWR-SFO

I have the option to upgrade a TLV-EWR-SFO (U fare) flight for $350+35k miles, which seems worth the cost. That said, the flights have no availability and are on "waitlist only."

The only thing I'm worried about is having to spend the money if the upgrade clears for EWR-SFO and not TLV-EWR. Is this a risk? Is there any way to mitigate it?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
I have the option to upgrade a TLV-EWR-SFO (U fare) flight for $350+35k miles, which seems worth the cost. That said, the flights have no availability and are on "waitlist only."

The only thing I'm worried about is having to spend the money if the upgrade clears for EWR-SFO and not TLV-EWR. Is this a risk? Is there any way to mitigate it?
If the upgrade does not clear TLV-EWR, your miles and co-pay will be refunded. So you can theoretically get a free upgrade EWR-SFO.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

What Kacee said, for more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgraded.html

What is not clear if PS flights meet the BF trigger. Is your EWR-SFO post before or after Oct 25, 2015 -- the PS switchover date.

Another options is to call and only apply the upgrade to TLV-EWR segment.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is not clear if PS flights meet the BF trigger. Is your EWR-SFO post before or after Oct 25, 2015 -- the PS switchover date.
Good point. I'm not sure we have any clear data points on this since ps officially became a "BusinessFirst" route.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Good point. I'm not sure we have any clear data points on this since ps officially became a "BusinessFirst" route.
What is "PS?" (premium saver??).

And what is this switchover date you reference? Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
PS = Premium Service, available on certain transcon routes.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...mservices.aspx
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:48 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
So, the good news for me is that my flight is in a week or so. I just booked the upgrade, and best case scenario I get upgraded the whole way, + spend $900 worth of cash & miles. Worst case nothing happens. Middle case, I get upgraded for free on EWR-SFO.

Would be great to find out if EWR-SFO becomes considered BF once the PS switchover happens… Is that currently the case with JFK connections?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
So, the good news for me is that my flight is in a week or so. I just booked the upgrade, and best case scenario I get upgraded the whole way, + spend $900 worth of cash & miles. Worst case nothing happens. Middle case, I get upgraded for free on EWR-SFO.

Would be great to find out if EWR-SFO becomes considered BF once the PS switchover happens… Is that currently the case with JFK connections?
EWR-SFO p.s. is definitely BF.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
EWR-SFO p.s. is definitely BF.
You mean WILL BE

I was under the impression it hasn't been switched from JFK yet, it should be later this year per UA Insider post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.