Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA grant higher status if short PQMs but over PQDs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread, [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015

As this is the first year of PQDs, there is no history / precedent / data on if being over the PQD threshold by xx% will make up for being short one of the other status requirements such as PQMs. This is unknown territory and any thoughts or comments are speculation.

Additionally FF programs are evolving and what might been true on status forgiveness in the past will be dangerous to presume that it will apply again.

Has UA granted status outside of the nominal program -- Yes
-- There have been reports of "one time exceptions for exceptional reasons"
-- UA will grant status to some individuals as part of special programs or contractual agreements.
-- UA has granted status occasionally for some just short of the requirements - see the wiki of [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2014 for Elite Status in 2015 for some links.

But note the use of "exceptional", "special", "occasional" -- in general the outcome has been "you get what you earn." Expect to get what you earned and you will likely not be disappointed -- but a few, for reasons we will never know, might get surprised.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
I'm at 102,000 and $9,697. My next flight will leave me $47 short of $10K...hum do I trust Jeffy to do the right thing and give me my 1K again...or not?
so why on earth did you not book the next higher fare class and make the $10k. Sounds like a really cheap mistake which could cost you dearly. I'd go and upgrade that ticket now to P/A via your reservation (these count for PQD) and make sure you hit $10k.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)

Here is my two worthless cents.

If united starts making exceptions and granting status to people who fly less and or spend less then the required amount they will find themselves in a huge class action lawsuit territory. Obviously there are a few that will happen but you think that every TD&H who spends more then the requirement should get the status? Why? Do united rules state that if you spend over a certain amount they will ignore the AIS portion.

Maybe they need to ignore the entire theory of flying miles and put everybody on a curve like GS basically.
Here is a sample starting at the top % pqd
1-2% GS
8-9% 1k
20% Plat
25% Gold
30% silver
15% sorry not enough spend so your a nobody with great TOD buy up offers.

Then they can track your spend comparatively to others easily and even base your upgrade and standby chances on your actual spend amount not your status.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LBLB4499
I have a similar question to the initial in the thread re: platinum status, but closer on the PQM and what I would consider way over on the PQD.

I am currently a UA Platinum, achieved via a successful status match challenge earlier this year. I fly a combination of paid FC for business and paid coach for personal and for the year, primarily domestic. I am at 73,100 PQM, $24,600 PQD and 42 PQS through mid-December with no further travel planned for 2014.

My question is, is there any chance United looks at this profile and will award Platinum status for next year based on the high spend (3.3x requirement), despite being short 1,900 PQM?

Thank you. Unfortunately no chance of a mileagerun so chance is all I have left.
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question or already answered.

I'm a silver.

I have the PQD for Gold, and 200 bucks away from having it for Platinum. Has there ever been instances where United offers higher status in recognition of higher PQDs when you don't have the PQM?

Isn't the PQD really whats important?

Or are these thresholds bare minimums? Do golds and platinums usually spend much more than the minimum?
Have people considered shopping their numbers around? If someone will continue to be a high-CPM flyer, they might see what Delta or American might be willing to offer as a challenge. It would at least be an interesting conversation. And if you could get something elsewhere, let UA know. Nicely.
Originally Posted by swm61230
Here is my two worthless cents.

If united starts making exceptions and granting status to people who fly less and or spend less then the required amount they will find themselves in a huge class action lawsuit territory. Obviously there are a few that will happen but you think that every TD&H who spends more then the requirement should get the status? Why? Do united rules state that if you spend over a certain amount they will ignore the AIS portion.

Maybe they need to ignore the entire theory of flying miles and put everybody on a curve like GS basically.
Here is a sample starting at the top % pqd
1-2% GS
8-9% 1k
20% Plat
25% Gold
30% silver
15% sorry not enough spend so your a nobody with great TOD buy up offers.

Then they can track your spend comparatively to others easily and even base your upgrade and standby chances on your actual spend amount not your status.
You leave out a group that's probably sitting somewhere between the 1K and Plat in terms of importance to UA's bottom line. Heavy Chase MP CC users. Many of whom have either no status or "accidental" status, but whose spending habits make them very valuable to Chase, and thus a significant revenue stream to United.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 19, 2014 at 7:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swm61230
If united starts making exceptions and granting status to people who fly less and or spend less then the required amount they will find themselves in a huge class action lawsuit territory.
They used to do it in the early 2000's when planes were flying around half empty. I was comped up to Premier Exec a couple years in a row when I was at least a couple RT transcons away. You had to request upgrades and pay with miles, and the different levels let you put in the request earlier, but they'd also hand out free upgrades at the gate when they had capacity, often after boarding but before the door closed.

They could do it then because they had the excess capacity to hand out upgrades like candy and it was good for maintaining loyalty, which they desperately needed. I haven't seen a lot of empty seats in any class on UA in the past few years, so a) they don't really need to bump people up a class, because they're filling the planes and don't seem to need to encourage loyalty, and b) the higher tiers of MP are of limited value on a lot of routes anyway. I've been seeing 40+ people waitlisted for CPUs between LAX and IAD, and with the credit card deal to get group 2, it seems like it's the largest of the 5 groups a lot of the time. I'm a silver with almost enough PQD for plat, but given that 1Ks are complaining about not getting CPUS, it would likely just move me from 35 on the waitlist up to 11 or something.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by chrisl137
They used to do it in the early 2000's when planes were flying around half empty. I was comped up to Premier Exec a couple years in a row when I was at least a couple RT transcons away. You had to request upgrades and pay with miles, and the different levels let you put in the request earlier, but they'd also hand out free upgrades at the gate when they had capacity, often after boarding but before the door closed.

They could do it then because they had the excess capacity to hand out upgrades like candy and it was good for maintaining loyalty, which they desperately needed. I haven't seen a lot of empty seats in any class on UA in the past few years, so a) they don't really need to bump people up a class, because they're filling the planes and don't seem to need to encourage loyalty, and b) the higher tiers of MP are of limited value on a lot of routes anyway. I've been seeing 40+ people waitlisted for CPUs between LAX and IAD, and with the credit card deal to get group 2, it seems like it's the largest of the 5 groups a lot of the time. I'm a silver with almost enough PQD for plat, but given that 1Ks are complaining about not getting CPUS, it would likely just move me from 35 on the waitlist up to 11 or something.
Word. Many of us remember the phrase "1K-Lite", a moderately-derisive way to speak of those who got there without the butt-in-seat miles, usually through DEQM (double PQM) or even TEQM. You were also allowed to "gift" 3P status if Gold, I believe. And you frequently got upgraded. Sometimes even TATL op-ups.

Very different business then.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I do remember one summer many years ago... was my first year of being 1k
I started the year as a noboddy as I only just got into a job required traveling and I got a TEQM offer that was valid on F/C/Y/B and then work sent me on what would normally be 100k EQM in C/Y fares which pushed me to a status of 300k EQM for the year
I got a whole bunch of random rewards that year like gifting gold to my sister and some extra RPU's and stuff
I dont remember how many RPU's and GPU's I got that year... but it was a lot and it was dam nice
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I do remember one summer many years ago... was my first year of being 1k
I started the year as a noboddy as I only just got into a job required traveling and I got a TEQM offer that was valid on F/C/Y/B and then work sent me on what would normally be 100k EQM in C/Y fares which pushed me to a status of 300k EQM for the year
I got a whole bunch of random rewards that year like gifting gold to my sister and some extra RPU's and stuff
I dont remember how many RPU's and GPU's I got that year... but it was a lot and it was dam nice
Yes I remember that TEQM year. I had over 200k EQM.

Those days will come back; commericial aviation is cyclical.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Do we actually know what the Spend and Mile Requirements for GS ? As I understand, it varies based on your home location, with a higher spend for ORD, IAD, SFO and NYC. I have been 1K for years, have no spend requirement to maintain status (i.e. live outside of the USA), spend about $25K per year and have never been invited to GS. So if anyone knows the secret to getting a GS upgrade (i.e. buy up, sugar coated letter, box of dates to J.Smiesk) by all means do share !!!!

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No. You're not even close. There are people who spend $30K that are 1K that don't get GS even though they're $20,000 over their 1K spend requirement. $3000 over isn't that much in reality - less than a single BF trip to London.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by gpicur
Do we actually know what the Spend and Mile Requirements for GS ? As I understand, it varies based on your home location, with a higher spend for ORD, IAD, SFO and NYC. I have been 1K for years, have no spend requirement to maintain status (i.e. live outside of the USA), spend about $25K per year and have never been invited to GS. So if anyone knows the secret to getting a GS upgrade (i.e. buy up, sugar coated letter, box of dates to J.Smiesk) by all means do share !!!!
My understanding is you need spend, but more important is the demonstrated authority to have employees use United for flights. They are looking for sheep herders.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:27 am
RNE

Originally Posted by uaflr
My understanding is you need spend, but more important is the demonstrated authority to have employees use United for flights. They are looking for sheep herders.
Winner of the coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!
Special citation for bestial allusion.

RNE, congratulating you.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:27 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Exclamation Topic Drift Alert

There is an existing thread to discuss Global Services qualification; please use it for any additional discussion.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-q-2014-a.html

Thank you,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Flyingeagle
I'm at 102,000 and $9,697. My next flight will leave me $47 short of $10K...hum do I trust Jeffy to do the right thing and give me my 1K again...or not?
That really stinks as the only way of earning PQD, barring flying, is booking E+, which you anyways get for you and 8 companions!

Does Premier Accelerator count? If so, may be worth booking a refundable ticket, buying miles, and canceling the ticket. Or sending UA a check for $47

Or changing your MP address to outside the US for the next month or so

Originally Posted by LBLB4499
I have a similar question to the initial in the thread re: platinum status, but closer on the PQM and what I would consider way over on the PQD.

I am currently a UA Platinum, achieved via a successful status match challenge earlier this year. I fly a combination of paid FC for business and paid coach for personal and for the year, primarily domestic. I am at 73,100 PQM, $24,600 PQD and 42 PQS through mid-December with no further travel planned for 2014.

My question is, is there any chance United looks at this profile and will award Platinum status for next year based on the high spend (3.3x requirement), despite being short 1,900 PQM?

Thank you. Unfortunately no chance of a mileagerun so chance is all I have left.
At 1900 short, I'd book a refundable ticket and buy PQMs, and then cancel the ticket
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
That really stinks as the only way of earning PQD, barring flying, is booking E+, which you anyways get for you and 8 companions!

Does Premier Accelerator count? ....
no
Or changing your MP address to outside the US for the next month or so ...
you need the documentation to support that change
... At 1900 short, I'd book a refundable ticket and buy PQMs, and then cancel the ticket
at 30-40-50 cpm and typically 5K PQM min, it can get pricey at this time of the year for that solution

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 2014 at 11:59 am Reason: repaired BBcode
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
I edited out the part of the wiki that is plainly false. Do we know what will happen? No. But the idea that what has happened in the past simply "doesn't matter" is unadulterated make-believe. Of course it matters. Of course it provides clues as to what will happen.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.3M Lifetime, Mariott Plat for life
Advice Needed: Missed 1K Due to Job Loss

For the first time in my 29 year career, I lost my job last Nov and didn't fly again until Apr when I took a temp job commuting between SFO - LAX. Needless to say, my accrued mileage was well below the 1K threshold. In Oct, I accepted a new position that requires frequent travel and I expect to earn 1K again in 2015.

For 2014, I'll end at about 85K PQM so no 1K for me. For background, I have 2.3 million lifetime miles and this is my 21st year in a row as a 1K. That's right, I've never missed a single year qualifying for 1K since my move to San Fran in '93. Also, I have spent >$20k on tickets this year including one round trip in business class from SFO to the ME (it was a $7k ticket).

So here's where I need advice: Who should I contact to ask for the upgrade from Plat to 1K for 2015? Also, is anyone aware of UA making this type of exception? I know the old UA would have done it but I'm not sure in today's environment.

TIA, Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.