Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EUA system screws up, supervisor gets horribly rude

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EUA system screws up, supervisor gets horribly rude

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by travel.flier
the funny thing is you think you're doing UA a favor by being so loyal, when in reality, you're probably the customer they want to fire
And the fact that he still writes "COdbaUA" just means he's already prejudiced against the current system even before he approached the situation
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 787fan
And the fact that he still writes "COdbaUA" just means he's already prejudiced against the current system even before he approached the situation
To paraphrase Alvy Singer: The OP is a classic Continental hater.

I don't expect a lot of rational discussion where anything perceived as being related to pmCO is involved.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 787fan
Or simply paying homage to where much of this mess came from.

Mind you, this is a CPU thread. PMUA's version of CPU (UDU) was 100% transparent, one cleared into NF, it was reliable, and instantaneous. If for whatever reason there were an anomaly, the 1K desk was empowered to manually fix it.

So instead of a reliable, transparent system with empowered staff, we now have bug-ridden black box with staff who aren't allowed to do anything about it so they blow off the customer (and in this case, rudely).

I think a tip of the hat to CO is definitely in order for this one.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
...So instead of a reliable, transparent system with empowered staff, we now have bug-ridden black box with staff who aren't allowed to do anything about it so they blow off the customer (and in this case, rudely).....
Given the OP's demonstrated anti-CO bias, I would suggest that we hold off on blaming the agent until we get a full transcript of the conversation.

As for the upgrade system, I do agree that the pmUA approach was much more transparent and easier to work within as a customer...so much so that I was praying that the merged airline would keep that approach. Alas, no such luck.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Mind you, this is a CPU thread. PMUA's version of CPU (UDU) was 100% transparent, one cleared into NF, it was reliable, and instantaneous. If for whatever reason there were an anomaly, the 1K desk was empowered to manually fix it.
Yep:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-out-udu.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...happening.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2010-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...different.html

There were *no* problems in UDU land, totally transparent, reliable, and instantaneous. :-:
I think there are plenty of issues with the current system, but to pretend like UDU was perfect is pretty disingenuous.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
...There were *no* problems in UDU land, totally transparent, reliable, and instantaneous. :-:
I still preferred it to the post-Kellner CO system; I loved the fact that if I booked within the window I would be upgraded immediately if there was availability.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I still preferred it to the post-Kellner CO system; I loved the fact that if I booked within the window I would be upgraded immediately if there was availability.
As long as it was real availability, and not phantom availability

more transparency:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...says-no-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-me-mad.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...aitlisted.html
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
I've been monitoring my upcoming EWR-PBI flight which was showing R9 right up until the the 72 hour window. After not receiving a CPU email after the T-72 mark (I really thought I had this one in the bag), I went back back and checked and the flight showed R0. Was kind of shocked as I would have expected the 1K/GS folks to clear at their respective marks as this flight had been showing R9 for more than a week. Either that or there were 9+ Platinums ahead of me by either fare class or time of booking. In an event, its now showing F7/R1 so hoping to get picked up sometime in the next couple days.

Slightly off topic, I've flown B6 several times in the last couple months as I wanted to try out my Mosaic status (received via challenge) and have already re-qualified for Platinum next year. I have to say its been rather refreshing....nice leather seats with good legroom plus none of this pre-flight CPU anxiety/fare class monitoring B.S. to worry about. Just board the plane and go. Plus the LGA-PBI route enables me to enjoy the new Amex Centurion Lounge which is absolutely fantastic.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by west_end_NYC
I've been monitoring my upcoming EWR-PBI flight which was showing R9 right up until the the 72 hour window. After not receiving a CPU email after the T-72 mark (I really thought I had this one in the bag), I went back back and checked and the flight showed R0. Was kind of shocked as I would have expected the 1K/GS folks to clear at their respective marks as this flight had been showing R9 for more than a week. Either that or there were 9+ Platinums ahead of me by either fare class or time of booking. In an event, its now showing F7/R1 so hoping to get picked up sometime in the next couple days.
Either that, or there was a stall, like in the OP's situation, and the 1K/GS folks didn't clear until the Platinum window.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There were *no* problems in UDU land, totally transparent, reliable, and instantaneous. :-:
I think there are plenty of issues with the current system, but to pretend like UDU was perfect is pretty disingenuous.
A nice little collection of anecdotes. Pretty short threads.

Of course, all the heavy PMUA flyers (myself included) may had the occasional issue, but the system was transparent and it simply worked.

The current upgrade "system" / CF isn't even worthy of being in the same conversation though.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A
The supervisor was deceitful. At a minimum, essentially everyone here is acknowledging that CPUs come out of R space, which the supervisor specifically claimed wasn't the case.
Again, while CPUs decrement R space this does not mean that the presence of R space mandates that CPUs MUST happen, or that there is not a hidden bucket for CPUs that is a subset of R, or that there are holdbacks against the R bucket that can be 9 or more.

None of the information in this thread proves that the supervisor was deceitful so your accusation remains unfounded.

Originally Posted by N1120A
Actually, this kind of supports my point. If there was R before and R after the sweep, then there was an issue with it being run.
Nope. See above.

Originally Posted by edcho
Ultimately, it is the lack of transparency by UA that is causing all this (unnecessary) anxiety in the first place. UA should have understood that it would create situations like this by not being transparent. Guessing whether you are going to clear EUA is as much as a guestimate as if you are going to get GS next year. We have bits and pieces (R availability, spend, etc) but we just don't know the full story.

Maybe UA should just dump the EUAs and clear everyone at once at 24 hours out rather than the windows?
My take is that UA has decided that they make more money by letting us dangle without upgrading us than they do by upgrading us reliably. Plenty of stories here of people watching the R bucket dwindle and then pulling the trigger on a paid or instrument upgrade. UA is not transparent and, as I mentioned upthread, they like it that way.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Of course, all the heavy PMUA flyers (myself included) may had the occasional issue, but the system was transparent and it simply worked.

The current upgrade "system" / CF isn't even worthy of being in the same conversation though.
I'm a heavy PMUA flyer, didn't ever fly CO until the merger was approved (I'm also a heavy PMAA flyer at this point). You can't say "all" without including me . I definitely had the occasional issue, occasional lack of transparency, and lack of simply working. As I said, the current system has plenty of issues, but pretending that the previous system "simply worked" is a perfect example of confirmation bias. :-:

Perhaps the reason the threads are short are because they don't have the same folks repeatedly posting rose-colored recollections in them? A good example of an availability cascade. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend "Thinking Fast and Slow", it's an excellent, excellent book.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm a heavy PMUA flyer, didn't ever fly CO until the merger was approved (I'm also a heavy PMAA flyer at this point). You can't say "all" without including me . I definitely had the occasional issue, occasional lack of transparency, and lack of simply working. As I said, the current system has plenty of issues, but pretending that the previous system "simply worked" is a perfect example of confirmation bias. :-:
IMO something can "simply work" without being 100% perfect. There's absolutely no "pretending" here.

Much like our disagreement over seat changes - it happened in the past, but it's not the semi-systemic, ongoing issue it is now. Just like the UG mess.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Or simply paying homage to where much of this mess came from.

So instead of a reliable, transparent system with empowered staff, we now have bug-ridden black box with staff who aren't allowed to do anything about it so they blow off the customer (and in this case, rudely).

I think a tip of the hat to CO is definitely in order for this one.
Exactly. UDU worked far better than CPU, and people trusted the process.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

^^ I had exactly one UDU glitch - it upgraded me into a non-existent seat, and by the time we figured it out, I lost my prime E+ seat.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Either that, or there was a stall, like in the OP's situation, and the 1K/GS folks didn't clear until the Platinum window.
Exactly. Channa knew about this before, as we are friends. My CPU cleared at the Platinum window. I guess RM decided I was "worthy" of an upgrade then, according to the rude supervisor.

Originally Posted by halls120
Exactly. UDU worked far better than CPU, and people trusted the process.

^^ I had exactly one UDU glitch - it upgraded me into a non-existent seat, and by the time we figured it out, I lost my prime E+ seat.
Yep, and I never had a UDU glitch. Worked seamlessly, every time. Same with E500s.

...and the agents were nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.