Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL booted, wants UA gates at Dallas Love

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
On short duration flights, I agree. Anything longer than 2 hours, no thanks.
On a flight of any duration, I will take sitting in seat A of an ERJ over a packed 737, 747, etc.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I've heard of Dallas, but what is "Fort Worth"? Is it a city?
Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Worth,_Texas . 800K people. 17th largest city in the USA.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mre5765
On a flight of any duration, I will take sitting in seat A of an ERJ over a packed 737, 747, etc....
No brainer. Not sure why people don't get that.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
800K people. 17th largest city in the USA.
Yeah, it has more people than Washington, D.C.

City size is meaningless. It's the metropolitan area that counts.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a flight of any duration, I will take sitting in seat A of an ERJ over a packed 737, 747, etc.
To each their own. I find ERJs to become rather claustrophobic after 2 hours. Plus, the seats offer no real lumbar support.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Unless (like me) you're tall. In which case the lack of E+ on the 145s is a big downside. And yes, I always try to get the exit row on the 145s but it still doesn't measure up to an E+ seat on a 737.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I've heard of Dallas, but what is "Fort Worth"? Is it a city?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: PMUA
Originally Posted by channa
Yeah, it has more people than Washington, D.C.

Washington DC doesn't have an airport thou
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
I am a little surprised that UA didn't decide to do flights to other hubs besides IAH. ORD-DAL and EWR-DAL would have interesting value propositions, I would think.

That said, I do appreciate the 12 flight schedule, though I wish it wasn't only ERJ-145s. But I can consider UA again for going to DAL.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
It's brilliant, until they loose the gates when the airport figures out they are loosing landing/take off fees, because of UA's games. I take it back. This is Chicago and Texas think. Thugs and . This "new" UA simply amazes me.
Texas Chicago - think? thugs? Come on......this is business my friend. And DL is as shrewd as they come...

If UA can not compete - bail out. WN will kill UA on this route either way. 50 seat RJ's vs 140+ seat 737's. UA flying every 90 mins. Taking two gates. I hope the DAL airport folks wake up. Where are the FED's on this???? I guess they are running for re-election.
You can thank DOJ, and then Kay Bailey Hutchison for AMR divesting the gates to VX. UAL isn't going anywhere at DAL, nor should they. If DL wants gates, how about speaking with their checkbooks to UAL? They are not going to be taking this to court.

And frankly, how any of this is UAL's fault is beyond me. WN controls 80% of the airport and we're inditing the one who controls 10% and demanding the federal government take away their ownership of their gates? Give me a break.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
We've gone through this a hundred times before...no shortage of reasons why :-:
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:31 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Thee is some prime real estate at the end of the E concourse at ORD that I am sure UA would love to get, its too bad DL uses them on. Perhaps every chip is needed when playing poker, including the "under utilized" ones.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Karlson
Washington DC doesn't have an airport thou
Tell that to the people landing every day at DCA. Just because it is technically in VA, DCA is as much a Washington airport as CVG is an Ohio one.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
It would be great to see UA flights from DAL to EWR, ORD, etc, but increasing the frequency to IAH is a great start. Connecting through IAH beats dealing with DFW any day.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
90 minute turns on an RJ is about right IME. United Express is an unreliable operation and the operators of the 50 seat ERJs are among the least reliable.

As for competing with WN:
- a single flyer would rather sit alone in the left side of the ERJ than on 737
- a pair of flyers would rather sit together but apart from other travelers on the right side of the ERJ than the 737
- except if two of the three add small children, a party of three is more comfortable on the 1-2 row of an ERJ than three seats together on a 737
- a party of four would rather be split into two groups of two on the right side of the ERJ than have at least one group elbowing a stranger.
- a party of five would rather be split into groups of 1, 2, and 2 on the ERJ than have one group elbowing a stranger on the 737

1-2 seating trumps 3-3 seating every time.
Alternatively:
        Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
        Originally Posted by channa
        IMO it's very different for the D/FW metroplex, because essentially it is laid out flat like a perfect chessboard, yet economic activities are disproportional. "Fort Worth" is, of course, a tongue in cheek allusion to the fact that, even though Fort Worth is also growing, much of the growth is happening on the Dallas side -- Carrollton, Garland, Richardson, McKinney, Plano (home of Frito-Lay and soon the new N.A. home of Toyota), etc. Of the Fortune 500 companies based in the Metroplex, all but two (Gamestop and Radio Shack) are on the Dallas side. There is a distinct, viable commercial aviation market for Dallas in addition to DFW, but the same cannot be said for Fort Worth.

Even back during the CAB era, Dallas (Love) had more airline service than Fort Worth (Meacham). Even more offensive (to some) was how airlines sometimes operated Fort Worth as a tag-on to/from Dallas.

Added: IMO, the fact that UA has never started ORD/EWR-DAL after these years post-merger (nor does it seem like they've given them much thought by not jumping on them now) shows how staid the current management strategy is.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Sep 30, 2014 at 5:57 pm Reason: added

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.