Wiki Posts
Search

DL booted, wants UA gates at Dallas Love

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Best portion of the article -

United could have accommodated Delta during idle hours, but instead decided to double its service in January, “in a market that does not appear to be extraordinarily profitable and in which a meaningful portion of UAL’s current traffic is likely to be moving to the new non-stop, longer-haul Southwest flights,” McAdoo said.
Huh? Why should UA care about accommodating DL? If UA thinks it's interests will be served by doing something, they'll do it, and whether or not it "accommodates" DL by doing so won't (and shouldn't) enter into the equation.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
But it has forgotten the reality that the main bread-and-butter, and the reason for its existence today (as opposed to, say, TW and PA), continues to be based on a competitive domestic network to buttress the international routes.
Reality today is 'create a platform that allows you to sell miles / travel add-ons'!

United Airlines miles purchase is primary ancillary revenue generator
Posted by Ric Garrido

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea.com/

"And for United Airlines, the sale of frequent flyer miles is responsible for 51% of the company’s $5.7 billion in ancillary revenue for 2013."
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
And also gotta admire UA for being such a good promoter of the Explorer Card!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
And also gotta admire UA for being such a good promoter of the Explorer Card!
So good I actually see the ad inside your post.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
LOL

(screenshot)
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Reality today is 'create a platform that allows you to sell miles / travel add-ons'!

Posted by Ric Garrido

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea.com/

"And for United Airlines, the sale of frequent flyer miles is responsible for 51% of the company’s $5.7 billion in ancillary revenue for 2013."
More nonsense from Ideaworks, which has been exaggerating UA's ancillary revenue for several years now. They're adept at double-counting various measures of income.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
UA/CO has been flying DAL to IAH for 16 years. The normal frequency for this route has been 10 to 12 flights a day. For a good 10 years this was the number one route in frequency between two airports in CO system. Right before the 2008 downturn it was 16 flights a day for about 4 years.

I have flown out of DAL up to 50 time some years and I can say the flights goes out at full or near full almost every flight I have been on. With 7 flights a day UA has been letting lots of money walk away. Only since the merger the frequency was reduced but I think a lot of that has to do with UA being short on aircraft. Doesn't matter if it was a Q400 or CRJ-700, whatever UA flew would sell out.

Also, being in the new terminal should help a bit. Surprisingly there can be a good bit of cross passenger traffic on walk up fares between UA and WN at DAL. There is a lot of suits on morning and evening flights on UA weekday flights between DAL and IAH. Also UA is the only airline connecting central Dallas with North Houston. We all know UA is not running a charity and they are not afraid to cut flights that don't make money. For them to stay at DAL for 16 years, they have to being doing okay.

I think UA will add more routes out of DAL one day. See photo below. We all know UA is short on the right aircraft, so adding DAL now will equal a cut somewhere. Also I think starting DAL to say EWR/SFO now on UA Express with snack boxes would be starting on the wrong foot in this heavy business market. I think next year when UA has more planes and better catering would be a better time to start DAL to other UA hubs.

Check out the new UA Aircraft Terminal Parking Position Striping at DAL

I definitely look forward to UA plans at Dallas Love Field. UA biggest clue is hiding in plane (sp) sight! Notice DAL is now striped for Boeing 737/738/739, Airbus A319/A320, Embraer E170/E175, Embraer ERJ135/145, and CRJ200/700. One thing I find very interesting is the E190 spot.

The old UA gates at DAL were only striped for ERJ134/145, CRJ200/700 and Q400. Also this specific striping in the photo is only at the two new UA gates at DAL. WN gates are only striped for 737-700 and 737-800 and VX are striped for A319/A320.

I don't believe for one minute UA just willy nilly had those painted that way especially since CO was accurate in how they painted their aircraft terminal parking position striping.

A bit of history:
CO/UA had always update their aircraft terminal parking position striping at DAL. Back when CO was in gate 41 and 42 there was one spot for ERJ-135/145. Then when they had to share gates with AA, the MD-80 spot was added and as soon as CO kicked AA out they removed it. Then when CO moved to gates 29 and 30 they were painted for ERJ-145. Then Q400 spots were added and when CO merged with UA, the CRJ-200/700 were added to DAL gates.

Also the new check in looks great.

Larger photo here http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/f...9/photo-12.jpg

New UA Gates
Gate 15

Larger photos: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/f...g.-24-2014.jpg

Gate 17

Larger photo:http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/f...g.-24-2014.jpg

Notice the ramp before UA had it painted.

Last edited by CO777DAL; Oct 7, 2014 at 10:40 pm
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm hoping we can start a United direct flight from AUS to DAL. My corporate office is within 10 minutes of Love Field and I really don't care for WN when flying on business. Only other direct option us Austinites have is to fly AA, but that puts us at DFW. Think United will ever start such a route?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JaysonW
I'm hoping we can start a United direct flight from AUS to DAL. ... Think United will ever start such a route?
That would be a non-hub to non-hub flight -- rare for UA to add such a thing except as a continuation flight. So this would be a very surprising move for UA (but it would help utilize the gate space).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Would UA possibly start ORD-Love?

Oh I dream for ORD-DAL and ORD-SJC.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I'm hoping we can start a United direct flight from AUS to DAL. My corporate office is within 10 minutes of Love Field and I really don't care for WN when flying on business.
You don't care for a sub-40-minute-in-the-air mainline WN flight? Offered 12x daily? How bad can it be?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
UA/CO has been flying DAL to IAH for 16 years. The normal frequency for this route has been 10 to 12 flights a day. For a good 10 years this was the number one route in frequency between two airports in CO system. Right before the 2008 downturn it was 16 flights a day for about 4 years.

I have flown out of DAL up to 50 time some years and I can say the flights goes out at full or near full almost every flight I have been on. With 7 flights a day UA has been letting lots of money walk away. Only since the merger the frequency was reduced but I think a lot of that has to do with UA being short on aircraft. Doesn't matter if it was a Q400 or CRJ-700, whatever UA flew would sell out.

Also, being in the new terminal should help a bit. Surprisingly there can be a good bit of cross passenger traffic on walk up fares between UA and WN at DAL. There is a lot of suits on morning and evening flights on UA weekday flights between DAL and IAH. Also UA is the only airline connecting central Dallas with North Houston. We all know UA is not running a charity and they are not afraid to cut flights that don't make money. For them to stay at DAL for 16 years, they have to being doing okay.

I think UA will add more routes out of DAL one day. See photo below. We all know UA is short on the right aircraft, so adding DAL now will equal a cut somewhere. Also I think starting DAL to say EWR/SFO now on UA Express with snack boxes would be starting on the wrong foot in this heavy business market. I think next year when UA has more planes and better catering would be a better time to start DAL to other UA hubs.
You may be right, but by waiting, UAL runs the risk of getting locked out.

WN added a slew of flights: Baltimore, Chicago Midway, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando and Washington Reagan, then Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale, Nashville, New York, Phoenix, San Diego, Orange County and Tampa Bay start next month.

, and VX has a very good reputation and will be adding SFO/LAX/DCA/LGA

I think that this will killl off much (if not all) of the higher value connecting traffic that UAL might have been picking up. And once these flights get established, it will be very hard for UAL to be able to add flights to major business destinations, or even to its own hubs (DC/DEN/LAX/SFO will already have flights).

They should have at least looked at DEN or ORD or EWR or LAX, but with WN and VX there first, the chances of them opening up a fight now will be unlikely as it would be unprofitable to go head to head.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Think United will ever start such a route?
No.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Would UA possibly start ORD-Love?
That has a higher chance, but also probably not.

Originally Posted by spin88

They should have at least looked at DEN or ORD or EWR or LAX
UA had two DAL-DEN a couple of years ago but axed them despite the fact that the flights were packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.