Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Recent experiences with SSSS for the UA traveler?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Recent unusual data point.

Flying BER-STR-FRA-ORD-DAY yesterday. One-way award, everything in business class except ORD->DAY UAX flight.
(Unusual routing, but I wanted to stay all in Germany until the USA flight, just in case COVID caused any hiccups on intra-Europe border crossings).

All was fine until I went through the "Document check" in FRA, when I received the SSSS. Secondary screening was pretty mild, just swab of my belt/clothes and a check of my shoes.

Unusual part is that after I cleared the secondary, I could not get my TSA PreCheck on the final flight of ORD-DAY. I tried the usual method of checking back in for the flight. Checked to make sure my KTN was still on the record. No dice.
Even had an agent at ORD look at the record, refresh my KTN, check me back in, etc. Nothing worked.

Checking in for domestic travel tomorrow, and TSA precheck is back.

Writing it off to a glitch, but curious if anyone has recent data points of getting PreCheck back after an SSSS event.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:50 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by goodeats21

Flying BER-STR-FRA-ORD-DAY yesterday. One-way award, everything in business class except ORD->DAY UAX flight.
(Unusual routing, but I wanted to stay all in Germany until the USA flight, just in case COVID caused any hiccups on intra-Europe border crossings).

All was fine until I went through the "Document check" in FRA, when I received the SSSS. Secondary screening was pretty mild, just swab of my belt/clothes and a check of my shoes.

Unusual part is that after I cleared the secondary, I could not get my TSA PreCheck on the final flight of ORD-DAY. I tried the usual method of checking back in for the flight. Checked to make sure my KTN was still on the record. No dice.
Even had an agent at ORD look at the record, refresh my KTN, check me back in, etc. Nothing worked.

Writing it off to a glitch, but curious if anyone has recent data points of getting PreCheck back after an SSSS event.
Not really that recent, but I would constantly get SSSS out of SIN to SFO. My connecting flight back to Chicago wouldn't have PreCheck either. Big pain in the butt. And UA couldn't do anything about it. And similar to you, my next flights would have it.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA

This also happened to me several years ago. I spent a silly amount of time with agents trying to figure out why my TSA precheck wasn't working. I finally got someone to explain what was happening.

When you get SSSS on an international segment, all expedited checks are cancelled for those on-ward segments attached to the international itinerary.

Thus, your segments associated with the SSSS travel would all have their TSA precheck eliminated and you have to go through regular check-in.

However, your next day travel on another ticket PNR will return you to your original TSA status.

Hope this helps.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and United747 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Not really that recent, but I would constantly get SSSS out of SIN to SFO. My connecting flight back to Chicago wouldn't have PreCheck either. Big pain in the butt. And UA couldn't do anything about it. And similar to you, my next flights would have it.
Same here.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by radonc1
This also happened to me several years ago. I spent a silly amount of time with agents trying to figure out why my TSA precheck wasn't working. I finally got someone to explain what was happening.

When you get SSSS on an international segment, all expedited checks are cancelled for those on-ward segments attached to the international itinerary.

Thus, your segments associated with the SSSS travel would all have their TSA precheck eliminated and you have to go through regular check-in.

However, your next day travel on another ticket PNR will return you to your original TSA status.

Hope this helps.
Yes, that seems to be what is happening now. Used to be, if you re-checked in for the subsequent flights, you could get PreCheck back. But maybe that is no longer possible?

Would be curious if anyone has any recent data points on being able to successfully use the "re-check-in" process to get PreCheck back onto subsequent flights?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Yes, that seems to be what is happening now. Used to be, if you re-checked in for the subsequent flights, you could get PreCheck back. But maybe that is no longer possible?

Would be curious if anyone has any recent data points on being able to successfully use the "re-check-in" process to get PreCheck back onto subsequent flights?
Data point, just now:

Flying Europe-EWR-West Coast

Europe-EWR had SSSS, EWR-West Coast initially did not have TSA Pre

I just landed in EWR and went to the service counter and asked to be put on standby for an earlier EWR-West Coast flight.

The standby boarding pass has TSA Pre.
SPN Lifer, rmannion and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by boat stuck
Data point, just now:

Flying Europe-EWR-West Coast

Europe-EWR had SSSS, EWR-West Coast initially did not have TSA Pre

I just landed in EWR and went to the service counter and asked to be put on standby for an earlier EWR-West Coast flight.

The standby boarding pass has TSA Pre.
Traveled alone?
One way?
Male?
25-44?

Those are primary factors of getting SSSS, at least that's been my experience, as I am a prime candidate of above factors.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Traveled alone?
One way?
Male?
25-44?

Those are primary factors of getting SSSS, at least that's been my experience, as I am a prime candidate of above factors.
My last SSSS was August flying CDG-IAD when I booked the flight within 24 hours of departure.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by TomMM
My last SSSS was August flying CDG-IAD when I booked the flight within 24 hours of departure.
Mine was the exact same route. Changed the flight due to weather and got the SSSS. It actually wasn't too bad, even in Dulles when I reconnected. I was checked at the gate at CDG--mostly swabbing and lightly going through bags. At IAD, the security line had no precheck that I could tell--and the line was relatively short, so was not a big deal.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve had SSSS departing VIE, FRA, LHR and CDG and have found their screening procedures pretty efficient.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Had it connecting in AMS from WAW. After running from one end to the other.

Then I lost Precheck at ORD and couldn’t get it added back in, but no lines but did get caught for secondary. So fun all the way around.

I tend to lose Precheck coming back to US from Europe when it involves a partner on first leg.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 2:50 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I had it last Sunday, ZRH to IAD. Second leg of a 4 segment return flight from DXB. Tickets purchased in January. Inspection was a detailed swab of roll-aboard and briefcase, exterior only. I lost pre-check but easily cleared TSA screening at midfield.

I can’t remember the last time I got the mark of the beast!

DEN
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Just called the GS line to try to fix an issue with my ticket tonight from LIM-IAH (KTN wasn't in the reservation) so I got the dreaded SSSS. I am hoping adding the KTN and checking in again will fix the SSSS.

GS line said the wait was 4 min... 18 min in and I'm still listening to the music.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by limey1K
Just called the GS line to try to fix an issue with my ticket tonight from LIM-IAH (KTN wasn't in the reservation) so I got the dreaded SSSS. I am hoping adding the KTN and checking in again will fix the SSSS.

GS line said the wait was 4 min... 18 min in and I'm still listening to the music.
Did you get through? Could they fix your mark of the beast?

David
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
Did you get through? Could they fix your mark of the beast?

David
22min before I got an agent. 10 min explaining the situation , 10 on hold while she checked something and no solution. SSSS lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.