Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The OTG Airport Experience at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt DIscoverist
Ooh... fingers crossed for a Plat Amex lounge!! (I know... wishful thinking)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
They need to put Makers Mark into the Duty Frees at EWR. The last time I asked for it, I was "up sold" to Jim Beam something or other. Um, not the same kid.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by tegelad
It is an article ... and hopefully they have more in depth discussion/details some where ... however ... it seems to be missing the biggest gripe areas ..

Ingress points to security at all three with A Terminal being the worst. My favorite recent memory is a hot summer day, muggy, and then waiting in the purgartory shoot for 30 minutes after TSA entry but before the security scan.

How about an inter-terminal connector, so one could use precheck in C and get to A or B if desired ...

C isn't bad ... just really big with a long commute between gates .... but that being said .... C71 ..... stairs anyone .... but I always used it as my workout for the week ...

The only thing I can see is Terminal C has alot of space that is wasted ... so honestly, I could see them migrating the united folks from the other A ... and move B to that location ... then have the port redo the original B and migrate / swap back ... and do the same thing to A .... they can do something similar to PHL where they have an expedited walkway .....
There are many more airports I'd rather be stuck in over the big white delayed box of Terminal C.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davidviolin
NY airports are the biggest international gateway in the U.S. I'm thinking an airport like Singapore, HK, Seoul, Dubai has all built recently.
You know how they say "never say never?" We'll I'm saying never!

For the most part those support massive hub and spoke airlines like SQ or EK. You'll never see an airport like those in the US.............but I agree it would be nice.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
There are many more airports I'd rather be stuck in over the big white delayed box of Terminal C.
Yeah .... thank god for the Admiral's club ... it is the little slice of heaven in that arm-pit of an airport ..... I just wish they had a connector between the A side or the bus went from C -> A, since I don't mind the steak or sushi place .... plus the ability to get some exercise walking the terminal is nice ...

Anything they do will help .... heck I like PHL Terminal F over EWR ....
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by skidooman
As long as they keep the oyster bar, the rest, I don't care much, one way or the other.

If they have money to spend, I would spend it in IAD. That place isn't designed to receive that many people, and my understanding is, they want to keep it as a hub (especially since EWR is pretty much maxed out).
United nor the airport authority are spending money on the EWR initiative. It's a private concession contractor that's fronting the money.

Take up the issues on IAD with MWAA. No airline is ready to create or expand an international hub there until they get their act together.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
how about making their lounges better. last time i went I couldn't even connect to wifi.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Where in the world would you build a world class airport in the NYC area? There is too much development already and no appropriate space for such a project. Unless they create land by reclamation, which would have been a disaster when Hurricane Sandy hit, there is no suitable location. Otherwise, you'd have to do a massive eminent domain purchase to clear the space--and in a democratic nation that isn't an easy thing to do. The voters have a say. With the jurisdictional issues in NYC being some of the most complicated in the country, it gets even more problematic.

Outpaced? By the fact that some other countries have been able to build much nicer airports than ours? Well, if you think that United Arab Emirates, Singapore, South Korea, and China are outpacing us in the things that matter most to you--presumably not airport quality--then I think your priorities might be different than mine!

The "outpacing of America" is a bit overstated IMO, just as the "USA is No. 1" is overstated. It's hyperbole and good for a soundbite, but it doesn't reflect the actual situation. We aren't being left in the dust because our airports aren't as impressive as others. People still want to come to the USA more than any other country in the world, after all.

I wish the USA had better airports, too. But I understand some of the reasons why we don't. All we can do is work within the confines of what is available to us...as well as the cost/benefit to all of us.
...or we can just settle for barely adequate airports ...or barely adequate infrastructure....
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by tegelad
Yeah .... thank god for the Admiral's club ... it is the little slice of heaven in that arm-pit of an airport ..... I just wish they had a connector between the A side or the bus went from C -> A, since I don't mind the steak or sushi place .... plus the ability to get some exercise walking the terminal is nice ...

Anything they do will help .... heck I like PHL Terminal F over EWR ....
Chris Christie will compete for Mr. Universe before UA will pay for an airside connection to non-partner airlines at EWR. They run a bus from C to *A departures in B and UA's A2 pier (not sure if A1 is still on the bus route for AC connections), and that's the most they're going to do. And PANYNJ...well, the less said the better.

There are rumors of a massive renovation/reconstruction for Terminal A, but who knows when that will actually happen.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Where in the world would you build a world class airport in the NYC area? There is too much development already and no appropriate space for such a project. Unless they create land by reclamation, which would have been a disaster when Hurricane Sandy hit, there is no suitable location. Otherwise, you'd have to do a massive eminent domain purchase to clear the space--and in a democratic nation that isn't an easy thing to do. The voters have a say. With the jurisdictional issues in NYC being some of the most complicated in the country, it gets even more problematic.
Apart from improving EWR capacity and rebuilding terminals A, B, one could start by demolishing JFK terminals and building a fresh, but that isn't going to happen.

A long term answer, but one which is not going to happen any time soon, if ever, would be to finally build up SWF: new terminals and rail connections to Manhattan have long been proposed. All mucked up in a combination of democracy, politics, and mismanagement (both public and private). At only 60mi out of the city, there is no technological reason that one could not build ultra-fast public transit connections. Don't hold one's breath...

Last edited by Indelaware; Sep 19, 2014 at 6:10 pm Reason: corrected units
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by entropy
they are all over YYZ T1.

What they did was take over virtually all the hold room area (where you sit to wait for your flight) with ipads that let you order food and bev.

I think its a bit obnoxious myself, but might be a much better option for F&B than anyone will get onboard
But that's what I don't like about the concept. They take up too much gate space and minimize the amount of seating while you wait for flight boarding. Moreover, the attendants are kind of lax when it comes to cleaning up the tables. So you sit there the whole time looking at what someone was eating earlier.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Apart from improving EWR capacity and rebuilding terminals A, B, one could start by demolishing JFK terminals and building a fresh, but that isn't going to happen.

A long term answer, but one which is not going to happen any time soon, if ever, would be to finally build up SWF: new terminals and rail connections to Manhattan have long been proposed. All mucked up in a combination of democracy, politics, and mismanagement (both public and private). At only 60km out of the city, there is no technological reason that one could not build ultra-fast public transit connections. Don't hold one's breath...
I'd sooner look to improve EWR, JFK, and LGA. And make public transportation easier.
Such as extending the PATH to EWR (which is in the pipeline)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Such as extending the PATH to EWR (which is in the pipeline)
Using the PATH as the EWR monorail would have been the proper way to go. It could have functioned like SEPTA's Airport Line, a single seat ride from the city (World Trade Center) to the airport. They wouldn't have even needed to build the EWR rail station. Transfers occur at Newark Penn.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Using the PATH as the EWR monorail would have been the proper way to go. It could have functioned like SEPTA's Airport Line, a single seat ride from the city (World Trade Center) to the airport. They wouldn't have even needed to build the EWR rail station. Transfers occur at Newark Penn.
How do you keep it free between terminals?

They would have also needed to increase the frequency significantly (during the middle of the night and on weekends, it can be once every 20-30 minutes!)
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Alaska, Southwest, Delta, United
Having not been through Newark in a while, anything would be an improvement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.