Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

UA policy on connecting bags requiring recheck (updated wording Aug 2017 -- removed 13-hour rule, another update Fall 2018 restored 12-hour rule)
For a trip that includes one or more connection, we’ll check bags to the final destination on your ticket.You'll need to go to baggage claim and re-check your bags if:
  • You chose to have a layover
  • You make a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Your connecting flight departs more than 12 hours after you arrive at the airport
  • You’re connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance™ partner airline
  • You’re traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
In practice. some have been able to avoid having to claim and re-check bags when on a long connection -- but if the agent insists, the agent is correctly implementing UA's written / published policy. See post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31816944-post390.html for how an agent may be able to help you: They can retrieve a hand-written UA baggage tags that had "Reroute" and "VIP" printed on them (not handwritten) and add your information.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

UA social media team (Twitter) wrote on August 16 (2017), "Any connection below 13 hours is always checked through to the final destination" in the context of being regardless of being an overnight connection or not.

related thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
UA will not Short Check bags (but some loopholes)

Print Wikipost

Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
my flight arrives in LAX at 7am and I am booked on UA to LAS at 10.30 pm same day
so no overnight.
they checked with supervisor who said it was policy over 8 hrs at any time.
would be good if it was in the policy section of the website.

Last edited by aussielori; Dec 26, 2014 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
I had a MR mid business trip where I had to check a bag. Itinerary was SFO-SNA-SFO-PDX. Checked in for all and received all three boarding passes. Bag was short checked to SNA.

Had a trip a few weeks later that was SFO-DFW-SFO-SEA. DFW layover was 5 hours. When I checked the bag, the print out showed it arriving in DFW. I didn't want it and asked them to check straight through to SEA. Took some work, but they did it.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
*If* you can get LH in CPH to tag through to TPE (big if) and they're not paying attention at IAD when you re-check the bags you still *might* get away with it.
Just an update, I got my bags 2 days late in TPE.

The whole flight ended up being a mess. First CPH-FRA got delayed, and I got re-routed w. SK from CPH-SFO direct, there was about 1 hr from when I was off-loaded from the CPH-FRA flight until I got on-board the CPH-SFO. Of course my bags did not even make it to SFO, so between,LH, SK, and UA, they managed to get my bags to me 2 days after I arrived, overall, I was pleased w. the service from UA, they were very helpful with finding my bag (SK.... sigh...)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Question about Checking Baggage All the Way Through to Final Destination

My family has a 6:16pm flight from EWR-SFO in 2 weeks, and then a flight the next morning at 9:01am to LIH. It looks like United has it booked as a stopover, though it is less than 24 hours. Is there a way to check my bags all the way through to LIH from EWR, so that I don't have to drag them to the airport hotel and back? Traveling with a carseat, stroller, and a pregnant wife, so the less we have to carry around until we get to LIH, the better. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I've been told by several CS agents that if connection is less than 13 hours, they will check it through, otherwise you must claim.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
In the US, a stopover can be as little as four hours. The baggage rules are different, but UA will almost never hold bags overnight.

You could take the risk and leave them at baggage claim and grab them the next morning.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: CO
I think the best you will be able to do is ask what can be done at airport checkin/bag drop.

In my previous experience anything with a layover that went past midnight (arrival was before midnight departure was after) meant a recheck for the next leg of the flight.

It is a pain, I do not envy you. However, if my experience is any measure there's no way around it. You could look into an immediate recheck of your bags in SFO but that means hauling it from baggage claim to check in counter at 10pm at night...and you may get there and hear "too early to drop bags for that flight" depending on your flight time the next day.

Good luck and enjoy the trip to Hawaii.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:41 pm

I would definitely try to check them all the way thru to LIH.

In my experience though, UA TA's are not accommodating! On a recent flight from SEA to ITO, I arrived at the airport around 10pm for my 5:20am (the next day) flight. I was told to sit on the floor (the TA directed me to a meager section of seating which was clearly marked for handicapped ONLY!) for about 4 hrs. Instead of the opening at 1:45am she assured me of, the ticket counter did not open until 2:45am.

Supposedly United will check your bags up to 4 hrs prior to your flight - in the small print it says essentially, "Only if it is convenient".

I have also been required to claim my baggage on a O/W trip. Flew SEA-IAH-SJU-BOS. I had to claim in SJU, go thru USDA inspection, then check my bag and finally was able to go to my gate.

Enjoy your trip, Kauai is my fav island!

When your plane is pushing back from the gate and Jeff does his "Friendly Skies" dance, feel free to !!

God bless!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:10 am

UA from EWR to HKG, 23:20 stopover then HKG to MNL. Booked through travel agent on one reservation. Few questions:

1. Will my bags be through-checked at EWR all the way to HKG? (I prefer that)
2. If so, safe to leave bags with HKG airport personnel as compared to retrieving and storing in locker (How much is that in HKG?)
3. Reconfirming if traveling on USA passport, no need for HKG visa. Read somewhere that ticket type may dictate that exit to country is prohibited but in my case I don't see why not.
4. Return journey similar from MNL to EWR with 22 hour layover in TYO. Different situation though since land in HND but depart from NRT next day. How does that work with thru-checking of luggage??? I see no way they could do that, but someone please confirm. Same question about Japanese visa requirements also being not required for US passport holders.

Any and all help is much appreciated!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:49 pm

I booked the following flights using mileageplus:

ORD -> NRT on NH1011 leaving ORD on July 9 5:15pm arriving NRT on July 10 8:10pm

NRT -> BKK on NH805 leaving NRT on July 11 6:15pm arriving BKK on 10:55pm

Both flights are on the same ticket/PNR.

Will my bag checked through from ORD to BKK?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by godsquare
I booked the following flights using mileageplus:

ORD -> NRT on NH1011 leaving ORD on July 9 5:15pm arriving NRT on July 10 8:10pm

NRT -> BKK on NH805 leaving NRT on July 11 6:15pm arriving BKK on 10:55pm

Both flights are on the same ticket/PNR.

Will my bag checked through from ORD to BKK?
As both flights are NH, this will be based on NH rules -- not sure the UA forum is the best place for this query. The fact it was booked as MP award is no of any relevance. If you want this move to the ANA/NH forum, just alert a moderator via the red triangle.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:38 pm

Question YYC-RTB with Overnight IAH Baggage Question

YYC - RTB with forced overnight at IAH - is it possible to have baggage checked straight thru without having to claim in Houston? Overnight is 11 hours and US Customs are cleared before boarding @ YYC
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, BookLady 6635
Originally Posted by BookLady 6635
YYC - RTB with forced overnight at IAH - is it possible to have baggage checked straight thru without having to claim in Houston? Overnight is 11 hours and US Customs are cleared before boarding @ YYC
UA "policy" states
Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
However, some have had success checking thru -- just have a backup plan if some UA employee decides to enforces the "policy."
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt

Because I have a <24 hour stopover in HKG, will they ticket the bags all the way through? (the CX baggage allowance for C passengers is not a generous as UA's).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
This is simply a data point regarding my experience last year.

Last year, I had the following segments:

DFW-YYZ with AC (7 hour layover)
YYZ-VIE with OS (23 hour layover)
VIE-WAW with OS (22 hour layover)
WAW-PRG with LO

I was expecting to pick up my luggage at VIE. To my surprised, my luggage was checked through to WAW. I had to approach help desk to get my luggage at VIE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.