Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC-WAS - RJ only??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
Take the train.
You may be "encouraged" to take that option anyway when UA predictably cancel your flight out of EWR.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Making the majority of commuter runs on the eastern seaboard RJ makes total business sense and will be followed by all airlines of substance.
I disagree here. Market demand has encouraged the airlines to offer abundant frequency without regards to efficiency. In the WAS-NYC-BOS market we should largely have full mainline (and perhaps even wide-body) services.

While airlines should be responsive to customer demand, certain markets ought be regulated in the interests of both fuel conservation and air space decongestant -- both of which are good for airline and passenger.

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I wouldn't mind seeing UA hand over travel between D.C. and EWR to Amtrak via its existing codeshare. I can't imagine there's any connecting travel through DCA to risk, travel time factoring in typical EWR delays might not be that longer, and UA could make much better use of those DCA slots.
+1 And while we are at it, I'd be favor of expanding the code-share to put UA numbers on all 2V single-train services connecting to flights at both EWR and BWI. Even if the added traffic isn't great, I can't see how this wouldn't be a win-win-win for UA, 2V, and passengers. The only ones likely to be hurt would be AA, DL, US, & WN.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I disagree here. Market demand has encouraged the airlines to offer abundant frequency without regards to efficiency. In the WAS-NYC-BOS market we should largely have full mainline (and perhaps even wide-body) services.
wide-body?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:30 pm

Do people take the train network into consideration when they propose more reliance on Amtrak on this corridor? They would have to stock up their offerings and you can already easily be delayed by 1+ hour using Amtrak on this route as well. There seems to be a lot more space in the sky than on a railroad.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
The cheapest one-way on the Northeast Regional is close to $100.
Not if you book far in advance, then it is $50. Even last minute, it will be $82 at off-hours. But yes, if you don't buy it way in advance and travel at a "regular" time, it will cost over $100 one-way.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by usmsbow
Not if you book far in advance, then it is $50. Even last minute, it will be $82 at off-hours. But yes, if you don't buy it way in advance and travel at a "regular" time, it will cost over $100 one-way.
Exactly. When I take the train between NY-DC I generally book the 5:30am departure going down, and it's about $50. The return - which I generally take at around 6pm - is a bit more, but not terribly so. And I usually don't buy the tickets more than a couple of weeks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Do people take the train network into consideration when they propose more reliance on Amtrak on this corridor? They would have to stock up their offerings and you can already easily be delayed by 1+ hour using Amtrak on this route as well. There seems to be a lot more space in the sky than on a railroad.
Yes there are rail delays, but one can certainly observe the same with airlines.

Yes tracks ought, IMO, be upgraded & expanded, but to suggest that the skies in the WAS-NYC-BOS corridor are anything but overcrowded ignores reality. Just because we aren't seeing mid-air collisions doesn't mean that ATCers and aviators aren't worried about it happening given all the aluminum birds in the air.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you saying that there are a sufficient number of passengers to support high frequencies of mainline or wide-body service paying a fare which is sufficiently high-yielding? Or that the hourly options should be scrapped in favor of 5x daily on 767s?

Because neither makes much sense here in the real world.

I've had multiple days where I got in a cab headed to LaGuardia and didn't know whether I'd be on US or DL until we were getting on the Grand Central and I could figure out if I'd make the top or bottom of the hour flight. My record was 25 minutes from leaving my office in mid-town to being on board with the door closing behind me. If they didn't offer hourly service they'd lose a lot of similar business to the carrier who did, even if the hourly operations are on smaller planes.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12

Are you saying that there are a sufficient number of passengers to support high frequencies of mainline or wide-body service paying a fare which is sufficiently high-yielding? Or that the hourly options should be scrapped in favor of 5x daily on 767s?

I've had multiple days where I got in a cab headed to LaGuardia and didn't know whether I'd be on US or DL until we were getting on the Grand Central and I could figure out if I'd make the top or bottom of the hour flight. My record was 25 minutes from leaving my office in mid-town to being on board with the door closing behind me. If they didn't offer hourly service they'd lose a lot of similar business to the carrier who did, even if the hourly operations are on smaller planes.
This only happens in the US. Other countries don't have this love affair with rj's. On LGA-DCA Delta (Shuttle America) and US offer hourly service, US on mainline. A few of those flights can be consolidated.

Either way, with security and such these days, taking the train is the best way on this route.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

Yes, I am suggesting that flight frequency ought be reduced.

Your suggestion that "If they didn't offer hourly service they'd lose a lot of similar business to the carrier who did" misses the point. Under proper regulation, no airline would have hourly service. There is no reason one needs multiple flights within any given 90 minute period. A fair mechanism for airlines to bid on the rights to be the one to fly in a given period could be devised.

Likewise those rights might be rotated over some period of time. We could start, for example, like this:

6:00a - Airline 1
7:30a - Airline 2
9:00a - Airline 3
10:30a-Airline 1
12:00n-Airline 2
1:30p -Airline 3
3:00p -Airline 1
4:30p -Airline 2
6:00p -Airline 3
7:30p -Airline 1
9:00p - Airline 2
10:30p-Airline 3

Then every period of time (2 weeks, month, quarter) have the airlines rotate. Period 2 would then be

6:00a - Airline 3
7:30a - Airline 1
9:00a - Airline 2
10:30a-Airline 3
12:00n-Airline 1
1:30p -Airline 2
3:00p -Airline 3
4:30p -Airline 1
6:00p -Airline 2
7:30p -Airline 3
9:00p - Airline 1
10:30p-Airline 2

Period 3:
6:00a - Airline 2
7:30a - Airline 3
9:00a - Airline 1
10:30a-Airline 2
12:00n-Airline 3
1:30p -Airline 1
3:00p -Airline 2
4:30p -Airline 3
6:00p -Airline 1
7:30p -Airline 2
9:00p - Airline 3
10:30p-Airline 1

With service still offered every 90 minutes, the airlines would still need to compete for passengers. A person considering the 1:30pm flight might take the 12:00n flight or the 3:00pm if airlines operating those flights provided lower fares or if s/he wanted to earn FF points on the other airline.

I reject the notion that any greater frequency is needed. Those whose appointment books require more frequency might, IMO, be better served to find ways not to stretch oneself so thin of time.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
This only happens in the US. Other countries don't have this love affair with rj's.
In the US it seems to be largely the result of labor dynamics rather than a preference for small planes specifically.

I reject the notion that any greater frequency is needed. Those who appointment books require more frequency might, IMO, be better served to find ways not to stretch oneself so thin of time.
I think you completely misunderstand the business travel market with your 1 flight every 90 minutes rule.

NYC-WAS isn't even very busy between any particular pair of airports. There are airport pairs elsewhere in the world with more daily frequency than all the NYC-WAS airports combined.

Last edited by mduell; Jul 31, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
NYC-WAS - RJ only??

In going from DC to NYC for leisure, bus service is good enough: $30 from Rosslyn to Midtown on Vamoose each way. If business, take the train. If flying international, fly out of IAD instead and connect at FRA or MUC.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:18 pm

Your suggestion that "If they didn't offer hourly service they'd lose a lot of similar business to the carrier who did" misses the point. Under proper regulation, no airline would have hourly service.
Why is this the case? The airlines are competing directly with Amtrak more than other airlines. Amtrak runs at least twice an hour (one Acela, one regional). If airlines cut back to one flight every 90 minutes, as you suggest, I'm sure they'd lose even more of their market share.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by revigik
The flight is less than an hour in the air. Why is anyone worried about this?
For those of us who live in DC, the problem is that when they have wx in NY and have to cxl flights, the regionals always cancel first. So we're left stranded.

I won't connect in Newark for this reason.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
In going from DC to NYC for leisure, bus service is good enough.
I agree with this - I actually take Vamoose pretty often, especially because the Rosslyn dropoff is pretty convenient for me. Or, if I'm traveling last-minute, I'll transfer 4,000 Chase UR points to Amtrak for a one-way ticket, which can often run $160+ on Friday afternoons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.