Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Return leg schedule changed by UA, not able to make it; Re-deposit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

This is the third time UA changed my return leg flight.

Original departure time was 12:30 pm and now it's a 8 am flight. I won't be able to make it and that's the only available flight that day.

Thinking of other means to get to my destination, is it possible to ask UA to redeposit half the miles I paid?

Last edited by guoguo914; Apr 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
They should, if it was simple outbound/inbound flight.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yup. You can certainly cancel and are due a refund. Think of miles as cash for this purpose.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

and how long does it take for the redeposit of unused portion of my award ticket?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I redeposited miles a year or so ago (though on a RT ticket) after a schedule change of about 4 hours. I received the miles back within a couple of days.

You may need to be careful, however, if you had a stopover on your outbound flight. Stopovers are not permitted on one-way award flights.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JPG3392
I redeposited miles a year or so ago (though on a RT ticket) after a schedule change of about 4 hours. I received the miles back within a couple of days.

You may need to be careful, however, if you had a stopover on your outbound flight. Stopovers are not permitted on one-way award flights.
Normally a partial refund of RT award travel is not permitted once travel has started but in this case due to the involuntary nature of the change, I would hope UA would do the refund and waive any limitations due to stopovers.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Normally a partial refund of RT award travel is not permitted once travel has started but in this case due to the involuntary nature of the change, I would hope UA would do the refund and waive any limitations due to stopovers.
the rep originally told me he's gonna refund me all the miles (20000) I spent on this ticket and tax and fees and he said it's effective right away. after I pushed him back to check my mileage balance he realized the miles redeposit didn't go through automatically. he called up "Mileage Service Center" and gave me a 24 hour time frame to finish the redeposit.

now it's been a couple of days and I've yet to see anything back to my account or tax and fees refund. nor did anyone from UA give me a ring..

the rep made it 100% clear in the call that it was because of the change on UA's side that caused me not able to take the flight though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.