Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Am I Being Unreasonable? [GS status on boarding pass -- denied F lounge access]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat

I was a GS last year, and was downgraded to 1K this year (supposed to be effective on Feb 1, 2014).

On Feb 1, 2014, I was on business class for an international trip. When I checked in online, it clearly stated “Global Services” on my Boarding Passes. The airport-printed board passes on Feb 1 also clearly stated “Global Services”, I thought my GS was reinstated. However, when I tried to enter First Class Lounge -- as GS on business class are invited into First Class Lounge on international travels, the rep stopped me at the Lounge reception and said I was 1K, with a cold and bad attitude which was very humiliating. When I encountered her that “You’re forcing me to bring business out of United”, she even replied with “I’m not United”. I had to say to her: “But you’re representing United!”

After I filed a complaint to Global Services, and pointed out that United had made an error that it clearly printed "Global Services" on both of my boarding passes that I checked-in online and printed in the airport on the date of travel. If United made a mistake, United should have honored the mistake. However, this is the reply I received from Corporate Customer Care: “Although we regret the treatment you described, since you were not a Global Services member on the date of travel in question, we do support our colleague in her decision of not allowing you entry into our United Global First Lounge facilities and have nothing tangible to offer for the inconvenience. I regret you disagree. ”

In theory, both the rep at the reception and the Corporate Customer Care are correct. However, the root of the issue is that United had made an error but later refused to honor. No apology was offered. Am I being unreasonable? Or should I bring my business to somewhere else? In the first two months of 2014, I have already spent $12,997 PQD on United!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for “disappearing”, since I do have work to do.

As said in my first post, in theory, both the rep at the reception and the Corporate Customer Care are correct. Anyway, since many here say I’ve been unreasonable, I’ll move on.

Some more facts: I was traveling from SFO to LHR via ORD on Feb 1. I first showed the rep the printout of online CI that stated GS, and she checked her computer and said I was a 1K. I thanked her and walked out right away. But when I went to UC, they said I could go to GFL. So I printed out another BP at the airport, which again stated Global Services. I showed the same rep the new BP and told her that it was just printed at the airport, but she still refused me to let me in and said something humiliating like you didn’t have money to spend then don’t expect to come to GFL (sth like that, but it’s been long time that I don’t remember exact wording).

At ORD, UC also said I should go to GFL. I did, and ORD GFL let me in and a GS rep even accompanied me to the boarding gate – somehow I was still GS in ORD system on Feb 1?

I didn’t try to work out the loophole of the system to get into FCL -- I was entitled to UC anyway. I had honestly thought United reinstated me back into GS. I personally know at least two friends who got an email in Nov/Dec saying they would not be GS anymore, but in Feb/March they were pleasantly surprised to find out they were back in GS again, without any pre-notification from United – some posts said so too. Two BP printed at different time showed GS made me believe that I was back in GS – anyhow, I had already spent/booked $12,997 PQD on United in the first month.

I’m not a professional complainer. When receiving good services, I appraised the person and let other people know. A while ago I posted an appreciation here to a rep at PVG. At that time, I just changed my iPhone and my calendar acted up, and I showed up at PVG one day earlier! The rep learned it from CI when I was walking out of the airport and helped me reschedule the flights. That was entirely my fault, but the United rep showed her professionalism.

As a frequent traveler, I file complains as well as show appreciation to improve future travel experience not only for myself but also for other traveler. If I were in the service industry, customer satisfaction would be my goal. It would be even better if it’s at no cost or little cost, let alone mistakes were made. However, I guess Jeff and his people just don’t care, or my $50K is just too small comparing with $38B.

Last edited by jimmyz; Apr 11, 2014 at 8:38 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:00 am

Am I being unreasonable?

Yes....

I was a GS last year, and was downgraded to 1K this year (supposed to be effective on Feb 1, 2014).

You knew you were a 1k and not GS, so why would you expect United to confer GS priveleges (regardless of what was printed on your BP)?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 53flyer
Am I being unreasonable?

Yes....

You knew you were a 1k and not GS, so why would you expect United to confer GS priveleges (regardless of what was printed on your BP)?
I thought my GS was reinstated, since both online and airport check-in said GS
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jimmyz
Did you check-in in Asia - since that would be a day ahead - and if they look up the effective date they would be right...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
It sounds like you checked in before a software sweep of status updated. If your new status was in effect on Feb1, it sounds like the decision to deny admission was correct, regardless of what your BP said.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I can see both sides, but in my opinion you were not being unreasonable and she should have given you a pass based upon the information you relied upon printed on your boarding passes.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
What response were you hoping for from United? You didn't get what you weren't entitled to. Perhaps disappointing but time to move on in my opinion. I can't imagine such a small issue would influence your choice of air carriers.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:42 am

jimmyz - You weren't downgraded, you just DIDN'T make the cut for the next go-round!
Remember - It's NOT what you've done for UA in the past, but what you can do for them in the future, and you didn't "Pay The Piper"!

Perhaps another airline will be better suited for your requested waivers, as UA ain't givin' away nuttin', as of late!

In fact, granting favors never has been one of UA'sd strong points. About 18 years ago I was short about 5,000 miles from qualifying for 1K for the first time. A call to a C/S agent got me this reply, "NO way are we going to give you 1k status. These people pay a lot of money and work hard to get that status!" Qualified for 1K every year since, and NEVER expected or asked for a favor EVER AGAIN!

Last edited by LilAbner; Apr 10, 2014 at 6:48 am
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
IMHO, what you thought and what the reality was are two different things. I do agree that the lounge personnel could have been more customer friendly in pointing out the reality...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
And Jeff thinks only 1K's are over-entitled.....
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Am I being unreasonable?
In my opinion, not a bit. I would have thought the same thing if that is what my BP said.

The crowd is tough here this morning (not just here, but on other threads, too). A little gratitude from UA - and the people who work there - would go a long way toward gaining customers' goodwill and desire to regain your previous status. They really missed the mark here, IMHO.

Personally, I'm oddly grateful for the way UA is treating their passengers these days. Why? It reminds me how important it is to continue to treat every single customer of my company, no matter how much or how little they spend, like they are worth a million dollars to us.

We run an all-Macintosh office, but we are a small company. When dealing with Apple, you would think that we were their only customer. The contrast helps me to see the value in customer satisfaction and implement as many similar practices to achieve it as we possibly can.

That often means fixing things for customers even when the problem is their fault. It's cheaper and more effective than any ad campaign. It also makes for a much less stressful work day for me and my employees.

Who has more money in the bank? Apple, or United?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Maybe a bit unreasonable, but the lounge dragon could have handled it more appropriately to be sure. Though, I'd honestly be more shocked if the lounge agent handled it appropriately. I have come to expect this sort of crap with united.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by UTex09
Maybe a bit unreasonable, but the lounge dragon could have handled it more appropriately to be sure. Though, I'd honestly be more shocked if the lounge agent handled it appropriately. I have come to expect this sort of crap with united.
This is exactly what I thought when I read the OP.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Did you immediately retort back with visible/loud emotion as per your post? Or in a level headed way did you mention what it said on your BP?
If you're cranky and they're cranky you usually get no where...like you and others said you knew you were not GS regardless of what was printed.
However...sometimes a smile and playing dumb/coy can get you a pass now and then.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UTex09
Assuming that this was at NRT - they are particularly rough there. I was flying to Guam on a 777 in "business" and was not granted access. The next week I flkew to Seoul in a 737 in a domestic seat - but called "BF" on my boarding pass, and the gates were thrown open...

At NRT I see so many people try and get in the club (either level) without the right to it - and they handle it all the same way - a polite "No". They know the rules - and culturally - this is really important to them. To them - to try and break the rules is offensive - and all my arguing and pointing out that they aren't doing the customer friendly thing has never worked. I lived there for a while so I understand it - and there are aspects of it I love (they really know how to run an operation). But there is a downside to it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.