Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Best Available" Economy Plus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
"Best Available" Economy Plus

When I look at my seating chart now to select seats, I now see a "Best Available" Economy Plus option. Anyone seen this before?

Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Where do you see this option? While booking? Or during seat selection when you are hovering over a seat? I am unable to see that. All I get is - Limited Recline and Economy Plus
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Interesting, aisle seats and windows near closest to the front of cabin?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Well that's interesting. I've seen other airlines do it, but I think it's new on UA. I hope they don't suggest the exit rows and bulkheads, but those are more expensive, so I'm sure they will.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 28, 2014 at 8:17 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Where do you see this option? While booking? Or during seat selection when you are hovering over a seat? I am unable to see that. All I get is - Limited Recline and Economy Plus
I have an existing booking, I clicked on "view/change seats" and that's it. No hovering.
I just tried a dummy booking and don't see it on "view seats" or if I try to book and select seats.

Now I have two flights, one on A320 thats full but its not in the legend. the 738 is the only one I see it on.
I have another itn, but its all GPUed so doesn't show it in the legend either.

Weird. Nice to know where their priorities are

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Well that's interesting. I've seen other airlines do it, but I think it's new on UA. I hope they don't suggest the exit rows and bulkheads, but those are more expensive, so I'm sure they will.
I hope not either but I think it is pretty well known to anyone that those are generally the best seats. I'll stick to seat guru and FT. Seat Guru doesn't even get into details like seat supports aligned poorly or bigger foot wells in BF bulkhead seats

Last edited by eng3; Mar 28, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Maybe you came across a feature that they meant to deploy but got deployed ahead of schedule

Still dont see it in any of my existing reservations. Wonder what they would choose for 320 and 319...Row 7's! Trying to stick it to seatguru, is it
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Well, it's gone now. Oh well, I guess they are using me as a guinea pig again.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I hope they don't suggest the exit rows and bulkheads
Except that those generally are the best, so if they don't show them, the feature is misleading at best.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Except that those generally are the best, so if they don't show them, the feature is misleading at best.
Well, the exit rows have a limited audience, and some people hate the bulkheads.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

This conversation sounds familiar, but I generally like bulkhead seats that have leg room more than exit rows, but because of the occasional bulkhead that I've gotten without a cut-out, I almost always choose exit rows. Also, when I'm in an exit row, I'm guaranteed not to have a child (age, not maturity) next to me. I often meet interesting people in exit rows too as exit row people get CPUed then standby people get stuck there and I get to hear about their amazingly tight connections and irrops stories and such.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Maybe you came across a feature that they meant to deploy but got deployed ahead of schedule
It's called A/B testing. Websites do it in advance of general availability of a feature rollout, both to find bugs and to gauge how many customers exposed to the new feature actually use it.

Seems like a cool idea to me, though the real money and convenience for non-Premier flyers will be in AA-style bundling.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In reading the verbiage, "best available" seems to be combination of best seat, closest to front of cabin and best value. So exit rows, bulkheads at higher price might not qualify as best available. Their best and your best may not overlap.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Economy Plus Seat Map Changes

Noticed on seat maps
today recommendations for best Available Economy plus seats
with a orange box around "good" seats still available
Seatguru meets United.com?

"Best available" is determined by a combination of legroom, proximity to the front of the cabin and seat price.
Seat changes are not confirmed until you select continue or select another flight.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
perhaps more of a price / performance approach than just best

Ongoing discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nomy-plus.html
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In reading the verbiage, "best available" seems to be combination of best seat, closest to front of cabin and best value. So exit rows, bulkheads at higher price might not qualify as best available. Their best and your best may not overlap.
Lol so would they recommend 20A over 21A? (20A first exit row, NO Recline)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.