Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Meal Cutoff Times for Lunch and Dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Meal Cutoff Times for Lunch and Dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by jbsay
I flew IAH-LAS in mainline F a couple weeks ago. Late night flight. No cold plate, just a snack basket. Was this a mistake on UA's part?
No, LAS is about the same distance as SLC (and DC area, too), so they get the "half-assed" menu option and don't follow the guidelines exactly.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Has anyone ever had one of these "light and refreshing" snacks? Because nothing I've ever been served on United fits that description
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
One other note.... if there was a choice last night, i certainly wasnt offered one. I thought I saw some salads come out a little later, but that wasnt even a choice for me. Nice to be a GS member!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I really don't understand why they don't serve lunch at lunchtime (1pm) and dinner at dinnertime (8pm) - particularly on westbound flights where their early times exaggerate the time difference. Rushing from the office in NYC or Washington to get the last flight to the west coast, it would be nice go be fed in First.
That would cost money. UNITED has taken the position that it's not their job to feed you.

I was surprised to be served a snack during what I assumed where dinner hours on IAH-LAX in November. I had just come off FRA-IAH and was hungry. Oh well.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
Has anyone ever had one of these "light and refreshing" snacks? Because nothing I've ever been served on United fits that description
If you eat the stale lettuce on the bottom of the cold cut plate, it's somewhat light and refreshing.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Both flights should have been under these parameters
isnt this chart the old chart? i remember a recent change from 700 miles to 900 miles. This is what is on united.com right now although it does not give specific meal times [see http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...st/dining.aspx]:

Onboard Meal Service

Less than 220 miles
(Approximately 1 hour or less) Biscoff® cookies or pretzels served with the beverage of your choice

220–899 miles
(Approximately 1–2.5 hours) Warmed, all-natural breakfast scones or a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit
Note: United will serve meals or snacks on flights longer than 700 miles in the following markets:

Chicago O'Hare to/from Boston, Denver, New York LaGuardia and New York/Newark
Denver to/from Houston Intercontinental and Los Angeles

900–2,299 miles
(Approximately 2.5–5 hours) Full meal service during traditional meal times or a light and refreshing snack in between traditional meal times

Longer than 2,300 miles
(Approximately 5 hours or longer) Full meal service followed by a pre-arrival snack or a light and refreshing snack on late night departures followed by a pre-arrival warm scone

On United Express® flights longer than 700 miles (approximately two hours), United First® and United Business® customers will enjoy complimentary snackboxes featuring high-quality, brand-name foods.

I have been on SLC-IAH quite a bit recently - a lunch time departure just had the snack plate instead of the full lunch (the twitter team said it must have been a catering mistake) and a 9pm departure just had the snack basket.

Last edited by OMAguy; Feb 21, 2014 at 11:56 am Reason: clean up
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jbsay
I flew IAH-LAS in mainline F a couple weeks ago. Late night flight. No cold plate, just a snack basket. Was this a mistake on UA's part?
If your flight was after 7pm, you would get a snack basket. I remember in April last year, same case. I was hoping for food and ended up with chips or bananas!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
IAH-BOS in December, dinner was served for departures up through 1914, snack (cold plate) for 1915 and later. Unfortunately, my flight was 1920. The same flight the previous day was 1910.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GregMM
IAH-BOS in December, dinner was served for departures up through 1914, snack (cold plate) for 1915 and later. Unfortunately, my flight was 1920. The same flight the previous day was 1910.
And THAT is how they cut the cost of a full meal down to the cost of a snack plate
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo:22389076
I really don't understand why they don't serve lunch at lunchtime (1pm) and dinner at dinnertime (8pm) - particularly on westbound flights where their early times exaggerate the time difference. Rushing from the office in NYC or Washington to get the last flight to the west coast, it would be nice go be fed in First.
Actually I find the food service in F on the last IAD - SFO flight to be good.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Was on a 7PM departure from DEN today in F and got the mediteranian cold plate instead of a dinner. It was good, I did enjoy it but it was not enough food! Had I known I would have brought a meal on board with me.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by micmcguire
Was on a 7PM departure from DEN today in F and got the mediteranian cold plate instead of a dinner. It was good, I did enjoy it but it was not enough food! Had I known I would have brought a meal on board with me.
Check the Flight Status page before departure. You'll see one of these:

United First: Dinner
United First: Snack
United First: Refreshments

"Snack" means the cold plate or something similar. "Refreshments" means chips and candy bars from the basket. I agree that the Mediterranean plate is tasty. Combined with a yogurt/granola/fruit Parfait from one of the stands in the terminal it makes for a pretty good meal.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by micmcguire
At this point I buy a meal to bring onboard in almost all cases. I take the meal that UA offers but if it's inedible or not enough food, I always have a backup.

To me, F on UA is now simply about the bigger seat/more space. And that's why UA can sell upgrades for $100 on a PDX-EWR flight.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got off a 2000 mile west bound flight out of IAD that departed 7:20 PM. Wow, snack plate only Website does not say what "traditional meal time" is but I guess from this thread, the cutoff is 7 PM. I wonder why UA does not say the 7 PM on the website. I think many would still think 7:20 PM is "traditional meal times".
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I'm of two minds here:

1. On the one hand, I'd like to see F meals improve to the point where they are comparable in quality to food I eat on a normal day. I don't care about quantity, just quality.

2. On the other hand, I think there are a couple of negative influences. For one, food in the airline terminal is an order of magnitude better than it was 10-15 years ago. Airlines may just not be able to compete with this. The *choices* available in the terminal is also a factor. The limited choices available in the air will never be enough to provide "what I'm in the mood for", at best, it will be "something I could be satisfied with".

The other factor is that on average, passengers have a lot more time in the terminal. This means that they have the time to eat a superior meal in the terminal. This reduces the utility of the onboard meal.

I'm not happy with these changes, but I can see why they might be happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.