Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Meal Cutoff Times for Lunch and Dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

what is the policy on meals? I was just on IAD-IAH in F... 17:05 departure and they served us the horrid chipotle beef wrap.... isnt that a lunch entree? I flew LAX-IAH in f recently around the same departure time and actually got a dinner service. whats up?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm Reason: let's work on those thread titles, please http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q63
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Both flights should have been under these parameters
For mainline flights between 700 – 2,299 miles (Approximately 2 – 5 hours):
•A full breakfast meal service for flights departing between 0500 and 0959
•A full lunch meal service with dessert for flights departing between 1000 and 1259
•A light and refreshing snack for flights departing between 1300 and 1559
•A fill dinner meal service with dessert for flights departing between 1600 and 1859
•A light and refreshing snack for flights departing between 1900 and 0459
•The meal code for these flights are BREAKFAST, LUNCH, DINNER, or SNACK
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: nada
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Both flights should have been under these parameters
That might be the published parameters but my experience has been a bit more inconsistent. While both EWR-IAH last flight and SEA-IAH midnight redeye got me the cold plate since Thanksgiving, flying IAH-SLC at 2100 2 months ago got me a bag of pop chips. FYI that is a 1195 mile route and block time is about 3:30 with actual gate to gate times running as little as 3:00 in my experience. (do note that the SLC-IAH 12:40 did have a real lunch meal, but no dessert unless there maybe was a brownie-thing I forgot about) As the DC area and SLC are about the same distance from IAH, I am not at all surprised that DC gets some inconsistency. As far as I can remember there was always a distinct difference from the 1200 mi range and the 1400+ range that covers NYC from IAH.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Unfortunately, UA has opted to make the cutoffs real easy to follow - just serve the same thing for both lunch or dinner or, on certain routes, nothing at all. I find this is the case on flights under three hours in length and it seems as if there is a gray area for flights between three hours and three and a half hours.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by goldelite8
Unfortunately, UA has opted to make the cutoffs real easy to follow - just serve the same thing for both lunch or dinner or, on certain routes, nothing at all. I find this is the case on flights under three hours in length and it seems as if there is a gray area for flights between three hours and three and a half hours.
Yes, talk about a complete lack of imagination and then they wonder what their profits are on the floor.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been confused about something...

In the UA world, does

Snack = snack basket amd
Refreshments = coldcut plate

or it is the other way?

I seem to have been on flights that say Refreshments but got a snack basket and vice versa. It could be old age too

Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
It also seems to be distant dependent. 2-3 hour meal flights, whether around noon or around 5 pm seem to have the choicef a salad and either the cheeseburger, chicken wrap, beef wrap, or chicken calzone. Longer flights seem to usually (but not always) get something that seems more like dinner than lunch (at least for those of us who eat our largest meal in the evening).
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by username
Snack = snack basket amd
Refreshments = coldcut plate

or it is the other way?
you have got it switched

Refreshments = snack basket
Snack = coldcut plate
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you have got it switched

Refreshments = snack basket
Snack = coldcut plate
Now I willl remember

Does this make sense in the English language? (It is not my native language but the way I learned it was that Refreshment is more substantial / formal than Snack...)

Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by username
Now I willl remember

Does this make sense in the English language? (It is not my native language but the way I learned it was that Refreshment is more substantial / formal than Snack...)

Thanks.
snack > refreshments.
Refreshments trends to mean drinks and maybe finger food,
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

snack > refreshments.
Refreshments trends to mean drinks and maybe finger food,
I see. Thanks.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I really don't understand why they don't serve lunch at lunchtime (1pm) and dinner at dinnertime (8pm) - particularly on westbound flights where their early times exaggerate the time difference. Rushing from the office in NYC or Washington to get the last flight to the west coast, it would be nice go be fed in First.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
I flew IAH-LAS in mainline F a couple weeks ago. Late night flight. No cold plate, just a snack basket. Was this a mistake on UA's part?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: United Gold
The cut-off times don't mean a thing if your flight is delayed. On a recent LAX-HNL flight that was delayed a few hours we were having breakfast at 1PM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Here is how UA decides what meal to serve you in F.

5-11am Departure, we don't care
11 - 2pm Departuer, we don't care
any other time, we don't care

The only thing UA cares about with meals is cheaper and less.

They have a system in place to tell me that they don't have the vegetarian meal I have in my record. No system in place to get me the meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.