Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
There are a number of us who manage the accounts for our minor children and use the miles over time.
Technically against the rules.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
when I get older and forgetful I would like to think someone can help me manage my affairs including my MP account.
Also technically against the rules.

Though I hope we never see United pursuing people for family account management.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Technically against the rules.

Also technically against the rules.

Though I hope we never see United pursuing people for family account management.
Yeah, that would be totally unreasonable. There are kids with enough miles to have tickets but too young to manage their account. Somebody's going to have to manage their account for them!

And there are people like me--I'm a techie, my wife is very non-tech. If it's online it's my job.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, that would be totally unreasonable. There are kids with enough miles to have tickets but too young to manage their account. Somebody's going to have to manage their account for them!

And there are people like me--I'm a techie, my wife is very non-tech. If it's online it's my job.
Since UA encourages families to participate in their program and even allows matches for a spouse/partner/etc., it isn't very likely that they would bust a parent or loved-one for assisting with mileage bookings or even upgrades for their family or friends.

What they are focused on are people selling, or bartering upgrades or miles FOR A PROFIT, and apparently being a GS member doesn't get you a free pass, as it's ONE STRIKE and "U-R OUT!"

Thanks---I'll be in the MSP UC this Fri at 5 p.m. & again Mon at about 7:30 a.m.---If Ur around I'll buy!

Last edited by Two Bee; Aug 21, 2017 at 12:04 am Reason: Spelling ----- "your 2 U-R"
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Since UA encourages families to participate in their program and even allows matches for a spouse/partner/etc., it isn't very likely that they would bust a parent or loved-one for assisting with mileage bookings or even upgrades for their family or friends.
Thread OP (all the way back in 2014) complained of UA closing several accounts the OP was managing together across a small business.

Probably this (from the OP follow-up) is part of the reason why the accounts were closed:

Originally Posted by B747SP
I do not take their miles either (sometimes even credit my own car rental miles to a colleagues account to maintain expiration). A few really do not care about their miles as they fly very infrequently, and have given away award tickets to colleagues and friends including me.
First, though the various systems probably do not match names and MP account numbers in real time, crediting a reservation in one name to a MP account in a different name has to be an easy red flag to spot on corporate audit. Second, the mileage-pooling for redemptions—perhaps those of us who manage family accounts exist in a sort of gray area on this, but I think spouses redeeming miles for each other is a very different pattern of activity than 10+ accounts, some of which are mere "mileage mules."
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Some of this is a bit far out, my wife and I constantly monitor each ones account and typically it is the same for me, if something needs to be done online I do it. She is a flying mule and runs up more miles than me in year but because of her work and reimbursement patterns for her travel she often lets me do the bookings and benefit management issues. I can't see UA getting on someone for this but from what others are saying it is "technically not allowed". We are obviously doing nothing nefarious here.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Parents of minor children and legal guardians, including POA's & conservators, as well as trustees, are expressly authorized.

Others are not.

It is all about risk tolerance.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Some of this is a bit far out, my wife and I constantly monitor each ones account and typically it is the same for me, if something needs to be done online I do it. She is a flying mule and runs up more miles than me in year but because of her work and reimbursement patterns for her travel she often lets me do the bookings and benefit management issues. I can't see UA getting on someone for this but from what others are saying it is "technically not allowed". We are obviously doing nothing nefarious here.
Yes the thread was derailed by the inaccurate statement that a parent is forbidden to manage a minor child's account.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
Parents of minor children and legal guardians, including POA's & conservators, as well as trustees, are expressly authorized. ...
While this seems common sense and extremely doubtful UA really means to not allow this, where do you see this?

UA states

Only the Member named on the account will be entitled access to account information. Account information is United's proprietary information and, except as otherwise authorized by United, Members may access information only for the purpose of obtaining information about their account. No Member may delegate or grant access (via power of attorney, contract, or otherwise) to a third party. Any Member who shares account information with any third party will be held responsible for such third-party’s actions with respect to the Account.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:34 am Reason: repaired formating
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While this seems common sense and extremely doubtful UA really means to not allow this, where do you see this?

UA states
Interestingly, AA on the other hand, -does- have such language making that distinction:

Your account information is owned by and proprietary to American Airlines. While you may access your account information through the Site, you may not give access to your account to any person or entity other than a member of your household or a person that you directly supervise as part of your career or employment.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Interestingly, AA on the other hand, -does- have such language making that distinction:
In other words, the secretary can manage the boss' account.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yeah, that would be totally unreasonable.
I agree, but I'm also sure it's not unreasonable in United's eye.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In other words, the secretary can manage the boss' account.
.....but the boss cannot manage the secretary's account.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
the text referred to above:

"Any Member who shares account information with any third party will be held responsible for such third-party’s actions with respect to the Account. "

Suggesting that they intend that anything that happens to your account is on you, regardless of who accesses it on your authority - IE your spouse/+1 transfers your miles. In that blurb, at least, it doesnt say you get the Mileage Plus death penalty.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Suggesting that they intend that anything that happens to your account is on you, regardless of who accesses it on your authority
Sorry, but you can't take one sentence out of context. The T&C are a legally binding contract. Violate it at your own risk.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Parents of minor children and legal guardians, including POA's & conservators, as well as trustees, are expressly authorized.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually the prohibitory language does not apply to an operation of law situation, such as a parent acting for a minor child (who cannot lawfully be bound to a contract). It only purports to forbid a delegation of authority/grant of access. That would be a POA or trustee situation.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The T&C are a legally binding contract. Violate it at your own risk.
Saying that it's legal binding begs the question what the applicable contractual terms are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.