Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Round the World (RTW) United Award Booking

Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is a challenge to FT'ers -- also looking for advice.

Been planning a RTW trip using UA miles for a few years. Goal was to use the 260K biz class RTW booking for 2 Tix and buy a 3rd one on the same itinerary.

Over the last 3 years my travel in-general has dwindled -- have no status with any airline but have 520K in UA account.

Routing:

CLT-LAX-AKL-SYD/MEL-SIN-DEL-MUC-CLT

Probably need to book on US Air out of CLT before US Air leaves * alliance.

Travel dates Nov 7 - Nov 30 -- good flexibility.

Was able to price itinerary on Star Alliance website but upon calling United award seats not available.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RoRan
Not sure if this is a challenge to FT'ers -- also looking for advice.

Been planning a RTW trip using UA miles for a few years. Goal was to use the 260K biz class RTW booking for 2 Tix and buy a 3rd one on the same itinerary.

Over the last 3 years my travel in-general has dwindled -- have no status with any airline but have 520K in UA account.

Routing:

CLT-LAX-AKL-SYD/MEL-SIN-DEL-MUC-CLT

Probably need to book on US Air out of CLT before US Air leaves * alliance.

Travel dates Nov 7 - Nov 30 -- good flexibility.

Was able to price itinerary on Star Alliance website but upon calling United award seats not available.

Thoughts?
New Zealand in J will be very very difficult. You will not get there direct from LAX, NZ simply does not release those seats for awards. There is occasional J availability from LAX/SFO to SYD/MEL on UA; the more reliable routings are through Asia (BKK/ICN/PEK in particular). Not sure how that works on a RTW award, where you are supposed to travel in only one direction.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: United Gold
If you can work HNL in there, I was able to get HNL-AKL in J on New Zealand. They even send you to the Admirals Club instead of the United Club
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by RoRan

Thoughts?
I think we need more information: which segments didn't have availability?

And just making sure: you're aware of the massive UA/*A award devaluation coming up on February 1, right? You'll want to get this nailed down in the next four days if at all humanly possible.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...t-devaluation/
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
You have a very few number of days to make this trip. United rates are going up, substantially, on February 1.

Search each segment separately, so you know what is available, and then you'll need to call in and get an agent to put it together. In some cases you'll need to search separately (i.e. CLT to NYC, JFK to ICN, ICN to SYD, SYD to AKL etc)

A few comments
- You'll need to be pretty flexible with routings and dates to get this to work.
- Try to maximize your trips on Star Alliance and away from United/US
- You will almost certainly need to transit Asia (ICN/NRT/BKK/TPE/PVG/HKG etc) and potentially SYD to get to AKL in business; thats probably a good thing since you can add a stop in one of those places.
- Singapore isn't showing up in award searches anymore; you need to call.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by noah
- Singapore isn't showing up in award searches anymore; you need to call.
If I were the OP I would skip SIN altogether and do BKK instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.