Wiki Posts
Search

ual.com problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold/UA Mileage Plus Premier 1K
ual.com problems

We've been having a lot of trouble for the past couple of weeks on ual.com. Specifically, I tend to check in on my itins almost every day. Multiple times, i'm pushed to the "manage" my flights page, or told to sign in (multiple times in a row, as I do it) etc. Sometimes even having trouble trying to look through possible flight bookings. I've called and emailed UA and no joy. Anyone? Anyone?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
No issues like that here, though UA does time out user logins fairly quickly, just as banks do.

Perhaps your UA cookie has been corrupted? That can cause issues similar to the ones you're describing. Go to your browser preferences and delete any cookie with "united" in the name -- or if you don't mind re-logging into all of your websites, completely remove all cookies. I work in the industry, and I do that every few months to keep things from getting too glitchy.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
No issues like that here, though UA does time out user logins fairly quickly, just as banks do.

Perhaps your UA cookie has been corrupted? That can cause issues similar to the ones you're describing. Go to your browser preferences and delete any cookie with "united" in the name -- or if you don't mind re-logging into all of your websites, completely remove all cookies. I work in the industry, and I do that every few months to keep things from getting too glitchy.
Well, at first blush, this seems to have done the trick. Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by geofflaredo
Well, at first blush, this seems to have done the trick. Thanks!
No problem, glad to help.

A lot of folks also get understandably puzzled by the "half-logged-in" state that United, Hyatt, and a lot of other travel sites impose when not fully logged in. The site recognizes you by name, so you assume you're logged in, but it won't let you access all of its features, making for a confusing user experience.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
This has been happening to me recently also. Just on Safari, not Firefox. Does this make sense?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly16
This has been happening to me recently also. Just on Safari, not Firefox. Does this make sense?
It's all about cookies. A cookie for your browser tells the site who you are but does not log you in. Sites have been doing this for a decade or more.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Well, seems to have worked for me, too, at least tonight. Thanks very much!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly16
That was exactly my situation!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by geofflaredo
We've been having a lot of trouble for the past couple of weeks on ual.com. Specifically, I tend to check in on my itins almost every day. Multiple times, i'm pushed to the "manage" my flights page, or told to sign in (multiple times in a row, as I do it) etc. Sometimes even having trouble trying to look through possible flight bookings. I've called and emailed UA and no joy. Anyone? Anyone?
I need to clear my United cookie once a week! UA tech was no help, sent me to my internet provider, no help, went to Apple store, no help........ told UA fault !!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:50 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have had a similar problem, unrelated to the "half signed in" state. UA prompts me to log in, but then rejects my MP # and PIN. Sometimes it does so 2-3x in a row before finally letting me through. And no, I'm not fat-fingering the PIN.

This just started happening within the past week or so.

Incidentally, the site is slower than ever accessing existing itins or booking new ones. Wasn't their blocking of Expert Flyer supposed to improve performance?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:51 am

I have noticed it's a bit slower when processing more complicated itineraries, but otherwise normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.