Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
.... I was told this in IAD a couple years back when I bumped off a flight there. Maybe things have changed...
That might be the understatement of the day.

All these procedures changed for sUA March 2012.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Interesting to hear... I had a gate agent tell me directly that the hierarchy exists.... maybe some (or many) GA's don't pay any particular attention, and will just take whoever walks up to the podium. I was told this in IAD a couple years back when I bumped off a flight there. Maybe things have changed...
Theoretically they're supposed to go by the list in the computer.

In practice, < 10% do, IME. The CO computer is so cumbersome (plus the VDB app is a separate app), that most do it on paper.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
A few years ago when I was in the military I was training at a base near IND and had government paid leave during a break in training (right before Christmas, 12/23 I believe) before deploying to Afghanistan (so technically travelling on orders, in full uniform).

On arrival at IND the UA agents declared that no flights were leaving due to weather and everyone needed to return to base. Eager to get out of there I was the first one in the check-in line well before the counter opened. The agent was offering a flight days later when I noticed some folks passing security. I asked how they're getting through security if no flights are leaving and she replies hesitantly, "Well, they're going to ORD." I say great, send me to ORD. At the time I didn't realize how messed up ORD could be and figured I had a better chance of getting to the east coast via ORD without being stuck in IND. She obliges but informs me I can expect to be stuck there for days.

On arrival I check the terminal and find a new boarding pass for my final destination ~2 days later. I immediately proceed to the gate for the next flight and ask to be wait listed. At this point there are already around 45 people on the wait list and the GA tells me that I basically have zero chance of getting out on that flight.

Totally bluffing with zero idea about UA policies I state, "I believe military on orders has priority," (still have no idea if that is actually true?) at which point she becomes extremely irritated but seems to agree. Over the next couple of hours I collected 3 other junior ranking military en route to the same destination, asking the GA to prioritize those personnel as well.

Extremely long story short the GA ends up calling a supervisor (by angrily announcing some cryptic code over the PA) about 30 minutes after scheduled departure who in turn removes what I imagine was a family of 4 from the plane. I can only imagine how much they must have been compensated?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:47 am

I think it would be fun to play gate agent for a day and deal with what, as an outsider, seems like a whole lot of excitement. Delays, misconnects, gate lice, oversold flights, stupid questions. But at the end of the day, it must be a hard job. So, anything they can do ease the pain probably helps.

The OLCI listing of volunteers more often than not, never comes up in the convo between me and a GA. He/she usually says, "great, let me hold your boarding pass," or "let me get your seat number...". If I mention the OLCI, it usually comes as a surprise for them to now have to check this list.

Two recent oppty's:
SFO-LAS $150 voucher announcements (several volunteers needed, and they kept asking everyone as they boarded; I boarded)

LAS-SFO $150 OLCI, I asked GA she said "$200, but you have been patient, so $250." Also involved an overnight, meals, nice hotel. The free hotel / overnight is what I actually needed so worked well for me. But, the days of $400.... ?? Where have they gone?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DBCme
The OLCI listing of volunteers more often than not, never comes up in the convo between me and a GA. He/she usually says, "great, let me hold your boarding pass," or "let me get your seat number...". If I mention the OLCI, it usually comes as a surprise for them to now have to check this list.
They don't typically look at it. It's a separate application they have to login to, and there are limits as to how many logins can be on the flight when it's under gate control. So if several agents are working, it might not even be possible to go to that system, from what I understand.

So it's more trouble than it's worth in most cases, so most GA's just irnogre it.

SFO-LAS $150 voucher announcements (several volunteers needed, and they kept asking everyone as they boarded; I boarded)
I usually counter when I hear lowballs like that. Or tell them I'm interested, but I need $X to do it. Sometimes they're receptive, sometimes not, sometimes they remember me if they get in trouble.

But I generally pass on the $200 and lower VDBs these days unless the reroute is awesome.

LAS-SFO $150 OLCI, I asked GA she said "$200, but you have been patient, so $250." Also involved an overnight, meals, nice hotel. The free hotel / overnight is what I actually needed so worked well for me. But, the days of $400.... ?? Where have they gone?
They can do $400, sometimes higher. Just depends on their need.

Delta is where I'm making the better VDBs these days. Nothing below $400, some $600's. GA's can do up to $800 at DL, I believe, with red coats allowed to do up to $1,300 if needed.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by channa
They can do $400, sometimes higher. Just depends on their need.

Delta is where I'm making the better VDBs these days. Nothing below $400, some $600's. GA's can do up to $800 at DL, I believe, with red coats allowed to do up to $1,300 if needed.

Delta's figures are at least based on what they have to pay if they IDB you:

0 to 1 hour arrival delay : No compensation.
1 to 2 hour arrival delay : 200% of one-way fare (but no more than $650).
Over 2 hours arrival delay : 400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,300).

$150 is really lowballing...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My 8 yr old was upset with me last month on our vacation to Florida b/c we volunteered for an oversold flt, but they didn't need us. She was really looking forward to $500/person and first class routed through EWR. She was pretty passionate about it, lol. They needed 8; they first took a group of 5, we were next in line, but only needed 3 more. Oh well.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
My 8 yr old was upset with me last month on our vacation to Florida b/c we volunteered for an oversold flt, but they didn't need us. She was really looking forward to $500/person and first class routed through EWR. She was pretty passionate about it, lol. They needed 8; they first took a group of 5, we were next in line, but only needed 3 more. Oh well.
if you are flying domestically, they typically will not put you in F.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by haddon90
Typically not, but this is what was offered:

Instead of ORD-MCO in coach, fly ORD-EWR in coach and EWR-MCO in F + $500 vouchers per person. I was standing around the podium waiting when I witnessed the first 5 people getting called up and confirmed into F for the EWR-MCO segment.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Delta's figures are at least based on what they have to pay if they IDB you:

0 to 1 hour arrival delay : No compensation.
1 to 2 hour arrival delay : 200% of one-way fare (but no more than $650).
Over 2 hours arrival delay : 400% of one-way fare (but no more than $1,300).

$150 is really lowballing...
but this is not relevant here ... the thread is about VDB and not IDB. The IDB rules are the same for DL and UA.

VDB: DL rarely hands out $800 and even $600 last year needed a red coat approval.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Typically not, but this is what was offered:

Instead of ORD-MCO in coach, fly ORD-EWR in coach and EWR-MCO in F + $500 vouchers per person. I was standing around the podium waiting when I witnessed the first 5 people getting called up and confirmed into F for the EWR-MCO segment.
i am surprised that many F seats were open. typically, on day of departure, there may only be one or two F seats open.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
All depends on the circumstance and what's left on the rebooking. And yes, if there's an economy class seat available, they would not put you in F. However, if they're desperate, that can be used as part of the bargaining chip.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
but this is not relevant here ... the thread is about VDB and not IDB. The IDB rules are the same for DL and UA.

VDB: DL rarely hands out $800 and even $600 last year needed a red coat approval.
I think the point is the DL authorizations are more in line with IDB rules. I've seen UA hold firm at $300 - $400 when they were probably looking at a lot more than that in IDB cash.

Might explain UA's high IDB rates.

i am surprised that many F seats were open. typically, on day of departure, there may only be one or two F seats open.
Leisure market on a weekend or holiday maybe? Aircraft sub with extra F seats? Stalled EUA that didn't upgrade people? Flight with "blocked" F seats that the GA saw and received authorization to use. It happens.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:07 pm

I think the point is the DL authorizations are more in line with IDB rules. I've seen UA hold firm at $300 - $400 when they were probably looking at a lot more than that in IDB cash.

Might explain UA's high IDB rates.

Leisure market on a weekend or holiday maybe? Aircraft sub with extra F seats? Stalled EUA that didn't upgrade people? Flight with "blocked" F seats that the GA saw and received authorization to use. It happens.
most likely. but with it being summer season, it was prob an a/c swap. but we don't know for sure.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:04 pm
Suspended

There's no hierarchy. It's whatever they feel like.
sfogate as well as others have commented on this in the past.If I recall correctly the list is something they may use as a guide but need not.In other words if they need 3 people and #s 4,5,6 are together they can skip 1,2,3 and just go with 4.5.6. Or if the 1st few are on their return flighhts while others down the list are based from that airport = they will go home = no hotel voucher the GA can take them even thou they are further down the list etc etc I would assume if 2 are needed and 1 & 2 said they wanted F and $400 and 3 & 4 were willing to take $150 3 & 4 will be used

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.