Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bloomberg: United Said to Struggle With Computer Switch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

United Airlines (UAL) is suffering a computer system malfunction that stranded pilots and caused canceled flights, evidence the company is still struggling to integrate Continental Airlines more than three years after the merger closed, people with knowledge of the matter said.

The breakdown contributed to the scrapping of almost 1,500 flights as the airline also grappled with unseasonably cold weather, said the people -- five United employees who were not authorized to speak publicly about the issue. United’s crew desk lost track of hundreds of pilots around the world since Dec. 30 as the system erroneously reported which pilots would control specific flights, the employees said.
And ...

Merging complicated computer systems has been a challenge for United, especially when the shift has been to smaller Continental’s technology platforms.

The airline suffered flight delays, long check-in lines and problems with check-in kiosks in March 2012 after the Apollo passenger reservations system from the old United was switched over to Continental’s Shares program.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:18 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
It sure has been difficult. Pay raises negotiated for 1Nov2013 have not gone into effect yet for IAM (res/CS/ramp/mp) represented employees. They are having trouble making the payroll system apply a simple table. 2.5 months later, they think the end is in sight, and by the end of the month, they may have things worked out.

So it isn't just 1 or 2 systems, that they are not getting up to speed quickly, when it impacts pay rates from a simple table, you know they have issues.

In the meantime, we make due with what we have and make the best of it.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Wow. Guess it shouldn't be a surprise that the back office stuff is just as clunky as the customer facing stuff.

I really enjoyed this quote from the article.

Our teams performance year-to-date demonstrates that our operations are once again stable and reliable, Chief Executive Officer Jeff Smisek said on an Oct. 24 conference call, after 78.9 percent of Uniteds arrivals for the third quarter were on-time.
Reliable at under 80%

Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Wow. Guess it shouldn't be a surprise that the back office stuff is just as clunky as the customer facing stuff.

I really enjoyed this quote from the article.

Reliable at under 80%

To be fair, a plane late by 15 min is not necessarily "unreliable". In many industries, a failure means the thing doesn't work. You choose to use a metric defined by the DoT that doesn't imply "broken" only "late by greater than 0:14 min". Given some of the variables that are outside of any airline's control in the U.S., a 6 sigma success rate isn't ever going to happen...for anyone, not even in a microcosm such as HA.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by fastair
Pay raises negotiated for 1Nov2013 have not gone into effect yet for IAM (res/CS/ramp/mp) represented employees. They are having trouble making the payroll system apply a simple table. 2.5 months later, they think the end is in sight, and by the end of the month, they may have things worked out.
I assure you that if it had been a pay decrease, they would have found a way to pay you less immediately.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I assure you that if it had been a pay decrease, they would have found a way to pay you less immediately.
^^^^
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
"Flights were even assigned to pilots who are retired or deceased. " Thank god I wasn't on that flight

time to call in Bill Gates and bring Steve Jobs back from the dead!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
To be fair, a plane late by 15 min is not necessarily "unreliable". In many industries, a failure means the thing doesn't work. You choose to use a metric defined by the DoT that doesn't imply "broken" only "late by greater than 0:14 min". Given some of the variables that are outside of any airline's control in the U.S., a 6 sigma success rate isn't ever going to happen...for anyone, not even in a microcosm such as HA.
In any event, it shows a fairly tone-deaf CEO that trumpets reliability in a public context in regard to a <80% on-time rate.

Doesn't exactly conjure up images of "stable" and "reliable".

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
^^^^
Funny
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Let's not forget UA pads the schedule, i've noticed about 5-10 minutes more than AA on most flights.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Guess they should have switched to the bigger airline's computer systems huh?

It's pretty ridiculous that at the 2-year mark, they're still having problems.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
"Flights were even assigned to pilots who are retired or deceased. " Thank god I wasn't on that flight

time to call in Bill Gates and bring Steve Jobs back from the dead!
Perhaps the programmers whose work assigned flights to dead pilots were actually trying to get through to Mr. Jobs?

The way things are going, UA will enhance itself down to a size that fits the smaller CO technology platforms before too long.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Let's not forget UA pads the schedule, i've noticed about 5-10 minutes more than AA on most flights.
I've oftened cringed at the FT notion that a schedule is "padded". If 70% of planes make it from a to b in 1 hour and 30% make it between 1hr 15 min and 1 hr 30 min, would you post a schedule of 1 hour, or publish one of an average (you choose, mean or median, let's avoid the mode as it may be "right" more often, but sucks for planning purposes) of say 1:10

So maybe the mode is 1 hour, but to publish a schedule around that would be a foolish thing to do. "padding" it 10 min would make the delayed flights less delayed, the on time flights early, and more realistic connections can be planned.

It isn't "padding", it's building a workable schedule. This isn't a point to point network, but a hub and spoke, and connections are what dries the traffic in most cases. To scheuld around a mode instead of a mean or median would cause far more misconnects, unless the MCT is increased, and for flights that have a rather reliable schedule, increasing the MCT would only add needlessly to journey time.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps the programmers whose work assigned flights to dead pilots were actually trying to get through to Mr. Jobs?
This makes perfect sense as I can only imagine that the collective bargaining agreement calls for much lower wages for deceased pilots. This is clearly an efficiency initiative by a go-getter in middle management. Fits well with the culture of SMI/J.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:47 pm

As fastair said, it's not just this system. It's multiple, including the payroll. 3+ years into the merger and they are still having issues with payroll. What have they been doing for 3 years?

United is one big struggle right now. It's part of the culture.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
As fastair said, it's not just this system. It's multiple, including the payroll.
Any company that implements its own payroll system is simply foolish. There are many good third-party payroll solutions, any of which would do a much better job.

Regarding "padding", I've seen much of the opposite where United schedules unrealistic turnarounds. Vancouver is one airport where this is particularly true, and results in frequent delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.