Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread to follow reports of MP accounts that actually have been hacked / improperly accessed. If you have missing miles and beleive you have been hacked, contact [email protected]

In Suspended MP Accounts / Third Party Vendor "Security Breach?" - Dec 2014 there is discussion of a security breach of a 3rd party that UA seems to believe may lead to inappropriate access to UA accounts via the username method of logging into united.com. Let's follow the breach and log-in changes in the above thread.

A separate(?) "access denied" issue is covered in Consolidated " Is united.com or parts of it Down?" thread
Print Wikipost

UA Account Hacked / Reports of Fraudulent Award Travel Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by valleygeek
Have you asked for the PIN to be removed from your account? Not sure if that's even possible, I haven't tried. You can always change it to a random number and never use it again.
Can you really forget it and never use it again? I am always asked for my PIN when I try to book or make changes to award tickets by phone.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Can you really forget it and never use it again? I am always asked for my PIN when I try to book or make changes to award tickets by phone.
or use / refund upgrade certs, request missing miles, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: United - GS
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Sorry, I meant never use it again online.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
From my chat with the Fraud rep on the phone, you cannot remove the Pin login access. She said they are rolling out some updates soon to address this issue and allow the user to specify only a password.

My quip to her about patches upon patches on a 20+ year old shares platform didn't get much of a laugh, just a sigh of exasperation.

She indicated a lot of other customers have complained about this lack of security as well.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by brp1264
My quip to her about patches upon patches on a 20+ year old shares platform didn't get much of a laugh, just a sigh of exasperation.
That's very similar to how they come off when made here on FT.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Often1
1. Do not use a 4-digit PIN, stick to a passphrase (UA can acommodate up to 20 characters).
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
You need to remove the pin after you set up the password.
It appears one doesn't have a choice to not use a 4-digit PIN. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
So this crook booked some travel with someone else on your account/$$$/miles/upgrades?

Did they not have to fill in the names etc of those travelling? That should give law enforcement a good handle on who this might have been (unless it was done as random malice w/o the travellers 'nominated' wanting the trip/knowing about it)..
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
It appears one doesn't have a choice to not use a 4-digit PIN. Correct me if I am wrong.
You are not wong. Every account has a 4-digit PIN and there's currently no possible way to remove it. Continental and post-merger United have never been concerned with security in the least. pmUA was much better about this.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA G
Often times the travelers booked using stolen miles are unknowing 3rd parties thinking that they're getting a great deal on a ticket; the thief is a middleman providing the service.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You are not wong. Every account has a 4-digit PIN and there's currently no possible way to remove it. Continental and post-merger United have never been concerned with security in the least. pmUA was much better about this.
The 4 digit PIN does not have to be used for login to your MP account - use a regular password and the PIN is then used by the UA agent to verify identity when redeeming miles over the phone. This still leaves you open to anyone hacking an account PW and redeeming miles on the web but increases the complexity of breaking into the account to begin with.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by runningshoes
The 4 digit PIN does not have to be used for login to your MP account - use a regular password and the PIN is then used by the UA agent to verify identity when redeeming miles over the phone. This still leaves you open to anyone hacking an account PW and redeeming miles on the web but increases the complexity of breaking into the account to begin with.
I thought creating a password would have disabled the PIN (at least for logon) but my pin still works even though I have a password.

At least my browser lets me save the logon information so I never need to type it. Observing the PIN as someone types it in (especially in an airport or airplane seat) is pretty easy to do.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:10 pm

How can I disable the PIN use for logging in on the web site? I do have a password but entering the PIN instead of the password works just as well, making the password rather useless.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I thought creating a password would have disabled the PIN (at least for logon) but my pin still works even though I have a password. ....
that is unfortunately correct

Originally Posted by milski
How can I disable the PIN use for logging in on the web site? ...
you are not , as many past posters have stated, there is no way to disable the insecure PIN
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA *A (Gold), Avis (Gold), Marriott (Gold)
Good point.... But

Originally Posted by unavaca
Often times the travelers booked using stolen miles are unknowing 3rd parties thinking that they're getting a great deal on a ticket; the thief is a middleman providing the service.
This is a very good point - However the person will know where they got their ticket from so following the money should only take one more step.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The 4 digit PIN does not have to be used for login to your MP account
It doesn't have to be used, but as has been pointed out, it can be and there's nothing you can do about it.

By the same token, if you add a user name, that doesn't prevent logging in using your MP number either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.