Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 - Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 - Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by CleUnited
I can confirm that yes, we here in CLE are baffled by the shear amount of cancellations... (I'm not the agent you spoke to but yes, I know who he is...)
Air Canada was the only operating flight on the D concourse today, and for extra lift, they upgraded it to a CRJ from a DH1 to help move their cancelled passengers from this morning's flights along to their final destinations.

I know the company wanted to reduce Remain Over Night (R.O.N.) aircraft at ORD and CLE due to the negatives for the past couple of nights, but even then just the daytime operations should have had a few more flights... It's kind of weird when I'm looking down the ticket counter lobby and I see the other airline's operating flights where we have cancelled ours to the same destinations. Almost kind of a slap in the face as an agent when you can't get your own airline passengers to destinations and the others can...

But hey, those are just my opinions as a lowly minion.
-CLE-
Still, it's nice to know you're as frustrated as we are. Plan C, if current flight falls thru, is the WN nonstop in the morning, who didn't seem to cancel anything out of here today (but then again they fly only 737s). I really do hope that UA reevaluates their policies regarding low temperatures, which, after all, occur most every winter!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
United Express (Mesa) 3759 diverts then makes emergency landing

Mesa 3759 dba United Express IAD to BOS

First they diverted back to IAD then made an emergency landing somewhere in Delaware. Oxygen masks deployed according to onboard witness, report of ruptured fuel line and smoke. All safe.

Interesting flight path: they go halfway up NJ then turned back then diverted.

Jim
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jimquan
My guess is that at the point they decided to divert, they thought they could make it back to the maintenance base safely, but then the condition turned out to be worse than they originally thought.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Agreed
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by jimquan
Mesa 3759 dba United Express IAD to BOS

First they diverted back to IAD then made an emergency landing somewhere in Delaware. Oxygen masks deployed according to onboard witness, report of ruptured fuel line and smoke. All safe.

Jim
http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...Castle-Airport
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:16 pm

UA's track record of cancelled/delayed this January hasn't been too exciting.

I cancelled out on my UA itinerary for 4 January: RSW-DEN-SFO.
Lucky me.
I went by AA on 5 January: RSW-ORD-SJC. totally on time.

While meandering around at ORD on January 5, I noticed that AA and DL were operating upwards of 70+% of their flights.

At F terminal, the UA board showed 90+% cancellations for the day. It was weird seeing no planes at the jet bridges. I wish that I had my camera with me, just to photography the zilched out UA flight board! Not only that, the UA Club lounges were closed and dark. The only UA flights that were not cancelled were a fraction of the major trunk routes like ORD-SFO and a few international flights. At B & C concourses, it was a ghost town. I swear it was just me, a few security people and a few custodians.

With DEN, ORD, CLE, IAD and EWR hit hard simultaneously, UA must have gone for a ride.

What did AA and DL do right that day? Was it just super bad luck for UA? The AA crews at RSW were telling me that they had their fingers crossed the entire day, with the AA management advising the AA crews not to even check-out of their hotel rooms, with high likelihood of not going anywhere. The UA desk at RSW looked like a painful crush of marooned passengers. Nobody else at RSW was suffering anywhere near as much.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My guess is that at the point they decided to divert, they thought they could make it back to the maintenance base safely, but then the condition turned out to be worse than they originally thought.
That's what one of the passengers they interviewed on the BOS news said.

http://www.whdh.com/story/24575375/d...smoke-on-plane

"...so low so at that point everybody assumed we were going to land in the water and it wasn't going to end well. Right until five seconds before the plane touched down we thought it was going to be water then suddenly we saw an airstrip out of one of our windows,”

Passengers reported that oxygen masks came down about 15 minutes into the flight, but the pilot said they were going to continue on at a lower altitude. A short time later passengers reported smoke on the plane and that's when the pilot decided to make an emergency landing in Delaware.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
LAX-SFO, last flight, delayed for 2h 15 min

Subj. Sitting at gate now. Plane is here, but there is no crew, which supposed to arrive from New Orleans. The announcement below was just made GA:

We are realistically looking for at 12:30AM departure. No need to come to the counter, there is no more flight, there are no more airlines.
I might sound sarcastic, but is there any compensation due? I am watching how one 'gentlemen' is making big stink right now - 'I am former GS. You should not treat us like this.'
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by invisible
'I am former GS. You should not treat us like this.'
DYKWIUTB????
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
is there any compensation due?
It depends on the reason for the delay.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It depends on the reason for the delay.
GA tried to address this already - 'it is weather related delay, so you might won't get anything'.

At there same time, what is not weather related delay this days?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:38 pm

GA tried to address this already - 'it is weather related delay, so you might won't get anything'.
So you already have your answer.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
What did AA and DL do right that day? Was it just super bad luck for UA?
Seem to recall that first week of January (you reference January 5 travel), was when there were problems with the pilot scheduling software, an issue that competitors were not facing. Take a look at this thread:
Bloomberg: United Said to Struggle With Computer Switch
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA plat, UA 1K, Marriott lftm PL & Hilton gold, Celebrity elite, Fairmont pres
Ua 15 ewr-hnl

Anyone know why UA15 (EWR-HNL) was diverted to SFO?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 1:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From ExpertFlyer
0015/30JAN
P EWR/OUT 933A L00.03 EST OFF 946A
P EWR/OFF 945A
P SFO/ETA 1259P MAINTENANCE
P HNL/ETA 329P E00.08
F HNL/ETA 448P L01.11
D FCF/DVRT SFO ENRT EWR-HNL A/DEICING

SKED EWR ORIG 930A GTD C123 SHIP 3060
HNL 337P TERM GTA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.