Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrewGzy
I can either use a Canadian or Russian address so I will go that route and see if that clears up the PQD BS.
As I've said in other posts, would probably be a good idea to have proof of whatever address you use to show it is legitimate.

While UA does not proactively enforce out-of-country address changes, at least not yet (unlike DL - where you must attach proof with your request), it wouldn't surprise me to see UA start doing it at some point. It also wouldn't surprise me to see them request proof at some point either for all who have changed their address to out of country, randomly, or for those whose travel patterns warrant. We haven't seen it yet for sure, but I am positive they won't be afraid to enforce the terms on MP fraud with those trying to game the system to avoid PQD.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
As I've said in other posts, would probably be a good idea to have proof of whatever address you use to show it is legitimate.

While UA does not proactively enforce out-of-country address changes, at least not yet (unlike DL - where you must attach proof with your request), it wouldn't surprise me to see UA start doing it at some point. It also wouldn't surprise me to see them request proof at some point either for all who have changed their address to out of country, randomly, or for those whose travel patterns warrant. We haven't seen it yet for sure, but I am positive they won't be afraid to enforce the terms on MP fraud with those trying to game the system to avoid PQD.
I so hope they do!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
I so hope they do!

Jealous because you don't have a legitimate address to use outside the US?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by emcampbe

At the 1K level, you had better be squeaky clean. I think we will see clawbacks too. Onus of proof is not on UA, its on the flyer of course. If you are originating 100k of flights out of the US, and claiming Uzbekistan residence, good luck.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
At the 1K level, you had better be squeaky clean. I think we will see clawbacks too. Onus of proof is not on UA, its on the flyer of course. If you are originating 100k of flights out of the US, and claiming Uzbekistan residence, good luck.
The T+C do not establish nor support this burden of proof, nor is it reasonable. Many people fly different carriers and alliances depending on destination. If someone has a photo ID, lease, mortgage, utility bill or other legitimate evidence of a foreign address, there is nothing in the T+C that give United the right to ignore that evidence because of flying patterns they perceive through the company's own lens. The T+C does not include tests for foreign physical presence or restrict the amount of time a member can spend in the US - that is just over the top silly.

If asked for proof of foreign residency, and you supply said proof from the list of permitted documents, it should be sufficient....anything else reported here is just blathering from people angry they need to do the 10k because they don't have their own proof of residency, or angry they might be forced to share a plane with a 1K who didn't cough up the full 10k.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
As for the PQD "BS," as you put it, you do realize, don't you, that with 90% LH flying, you're essentially a Miles & More flyer impinging on MileagePlus, right? So is the BS United's or yours?

I am actually a Miles and More member as well but prefer to accrue my mileage with United because I use it more for personal travel.

In my case (and in my opinion), yes, the PQD thing is BS. I have already spent over $10,000 in travel with Lufthansa but United doesn't recognize that money spent. I wouldn't have an issue with it except being that they are both Star Alliance I would think there would be more of an alliance! This is not the only issue I have had going from United to Lufthansa and it just added more of a distaste to me.

With all that, thank you again for the help. I believe my problem has been solved and I will continue to lurk around the forums
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Jealous because you don't have a legitimate address to use outside the US?
I'm not talking about people with legit foreign addresses, but the ones who "suddenly" moved to Canada when the new rule came into effect. I hope they get caught.
And I'm already 1K for next year and had no problem with the PQD. Looking forward to the thinning of the masses.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And I'm already 1K for next year and had no problem with the PQD. Looking forward to the thinning of the masses.
You're sorely mistaken if you think the "thinning of the masses" is magically going to lead to better UG rates, less crowded boarding areas, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You're sorely mistaken if you think the "thinning of the masses" is magically going to lead to better UG rates, less crowded boarding areas, etc.
It certainly can't hurt!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It certainly can't hurt!
Unless enough formerly loyal/HVF flyers keep booking away (continuing the PRASM decline relative to peers), forcing the airline to keep the cuts coming ("multi-million $" food investment not withstanding), get more aggressive w/P fares and any TODs, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:13 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by DrewGzy
I am actually a Miles and More member as well but prefer to accrue my mileage with United because I use it more for personal travel. In my case (and in my opinion), yes, the PQD thing is BS. I have already spent over $10,000 in travel with Lufthansa but United doesn't recognize that money spent. I wouldn't have an issue with it except being that they are both Star Alliance I would think there would be more of an alliance!
Oddly, United would prefer that you pay it to earn the RDMs you then use on its flights. Go figure.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:45 pm

I'm not talking about people with legit foreign addresses, but the ones who "suddenly" moved to Canada when the new rule came into effect. I hope they get caught.
Get caught how? If they have reasonable documentation to prove "a" residence in Canada, there is no problem.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
How is UA tracking Chase spend ?

I'll hit the 25K for this year, no problem(not hard to do in a 2-geek household in the Bay Area, just shifted some purchases from one household CC to my UAMPV), but I have a couple questions about timing. Are they looking at the total charged amount for the year or the total payments for the year ? If the latter that would suggest I need to have the 25K by the end of November rather than 12/31 because my December activity won't post until January.

IOW, is this really spend that's being tracked or payments ?

Does waiver status get updated like crossing an elite boundary(posts within a day or so of making it, might have to get a CSR to hit return on their keyboard a couple times to reflect) or is it done EOTY ?

Looking forward to the "not" part of "not met" going away soon.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I think it would be easy for "dual citizens" to use a foreign address of a family member, even though the member rarely visit his/her home country. Having a passport from the foreign country as a dual citizen should be helpful in demonstrating residency. I know many Americans with dual Canadian or UK citizenship. Legitimate way to avoid PQD requirement?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: United Awards
wino77

What are premier Qualifying Dollars and how do I use them??

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.