Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it is counted as a delay in the stats. Other than that, not too surprising that there were no announcements.

Not many people are connecting onward at SIN from that flight and there are no other options really for NRT-SIN at that time of day anyways.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
A simple annoucement - we are just waiting for a tow or clearance to leave the gate, we have a delay on departures due to air traffic controls etc

good customer service

If it were ANA they would be bowing and apologising

I often fly on Garuda and once we were in a ATC delay due to a VIP aircraft ahead of us, the Cabin Manager approached every person in the Business Class cabin with an apology and explanation
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
A one hour delay on an international leg is common and not of too much interest to either the flying public or most members of this forum, IMHO.
And what is the basis of the your comment on "common one hour delay... ". It is of interest to me when I am flying. I disagree that it is not of interest to the flying public, IMHO.

What is the basis of your statement ?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by wanko18
I took UA#803 from Narita to Singapore on Dec28,2013. The scheduled departure time was 17:35. After they closed the door,they showed the safety video while we were still at the gate.I thought the plane would leave the gate though it still there for 30 minutes. No explanation was made the captain nor the cabin crew. After leaving the gate,it took another 30 minutes to take off. Still no announcement about the delay. We were finally at airborne for almost 1 hour late.The captain and the cabin crew announced the flying time and safety though never mentioned what caused the delay nor the plane got delayed.
They were as if we were on schedule. We arrived at Singapore after 50 minute behind the original shedule. The captain nor any cabin crew mentioned about the delay. Is the delay within 1 hour not counted as delay on United ?
30 min at the gate most likely due to late arriving bags have to load into the plane, or it could also be too many planes waiting for take off, NRT ATC just asked the plane to wait at the gate.

Another 30 min to take off because late afternoon / early evening there are many departures at NRT, there are only two runways at NRT, for take off they usually only use 16R/34L as it is much longer than 16L/34R, 16L/34R reserved for smaller planes like 767 or short haul widebodies with lighter loads.

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Maybe its common on UA... All the Delta flights I've taken from NRT never resulted in a 1 hour delay
No it is not common on UA, it depends on what time of the day and the weather. Late afternoon usually is the worst when all the US departures from DL and UA take off all together. NRT always have strong wind, especially crosswind, that's how the Fedex MD11 flipover and burned to nothing.

Even back before DL merge with NW, I had often had long delays with NW. Remembered back then NRT always use remote gates when you have to bussed in and out of the terminal ? It is guranteeded your flight will be delayed.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
If it were ANA they would be bowing and apologising

I often fly on Garuda and once we were in a ATC delay due to a VIP aircraft ahead of us, the Cabin Manager approached every person in the Business Class cabin with an apology and explanation
Wrong assumption, perhaps if you are flying F or C with NH, I had never had any FA apologize to me in NH if you are flying Y. Even the most recent flight I flew with NH in F back early in December, it was 1 hour late arrival in NRT, no one apologize to me neither, that caused me to only have 30 min connection to the TG flight. I was tried to ask the NH agent if I could get ahead of the security line as there were like 50+ people in that line with only two check points, not to mention my TG flight leaves in satellite 4 instead of 5 (which means I have to walk the long tunnel underground), she just said I will make it, until I told her I am connecting to TG F, there is no way I would stay in that line and missed my flight, so she finally let me go to the front. No apology ever and she was kept laughing at the same time thinking it is like a joke.

The NH 911 NRT-HKG always have delays as well due to the late departure time, the longest one was 2 hours at the gate then 1 hours at the tarmac. The FA only said it is because many planes were taking off, but no one said why were we like in the last of the queue.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 5, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Back to the topic of this thread...

All (almost all?) international flights from ORD to Europe were cancelled on January 5
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was on the delayed 9:00 pm flight from ORD to LHR on 1 Jan.

Finally took off at 11:20 pm (broken windshield wiper & de-icing delays).
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I have some UA Express flights YWG-ORD and onward to Europe/other US points coming up, and these across-the-board cancellations out of YWG have me a bit concerned.

Can someone tell me what to expect if all ORD flights are cancelled on my travel dates? Will I be rerouted and notified by UA in advance? Do I call in and proactively request a change? Or do I show up at the terminal and figure something out there?

Will UA send people to DEN instead (tough given the ERJs headed there from YWG are often full to begin with), or will it be AC to YYZ?

What a schmozzle.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by FC ORD
Back to the topic of this thread...

All (almost all?) international flights from ORD to Europe were cancelled on January 5
Agree completely. 20 replies for a 1 hour NRT-SIN delay seems an odd allocation of FT complaint power when it's Armageddon at ORD and EWR.

I flew thru EWR yesterday, thankfully making it to CLE from OSL (and only 5 hours late!). What I don't understand is why EWR was such a mess. There was no precipitation falling and the temperature was ~39. Yet they cancelled a lot of their long haul flights, including DEL, BOM, and OSL (just the 3 I checked). Anyone know why? It couldn't have been the weather, which was about as nice as you can expect at Newark in January. Operations seems completely overwhelmed when other airlines are taking it in stride.

Last edited by JDT1955; Jan 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:48 pm

UA 895 cancelled for missing "air time"--What does this mean?

I was supposed to fly UA 895 ORD-HKG earlier today. The flight was delayed nearly two hours. Before boarding began, the gate agent emphasized that we only had twenty minutes to get everybody on the aircraft. Right after I sat down, a FA announced over the intercom that we had missed our "air time" and the flight was cancelled. What does this mean?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Crew legality issue.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:51 pm

^ Do crews ever intentionally delay boarding so they can avoid a flight?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gsully224
.... Do crews ever intentionally delay boarding so they can avoid a flight?
did it appear that was happening??
a flight cancellation creates issues for them also.

there have been massive issues (especially out of ORD) in delayed / cancelled flights for many reasons.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Under FAR Part 117, the flight crew is 'on the clock' as soon as they report for duty. With a double-augmented crew and assuming a 777 with bunks (Class 1 rest facility) that gives the crew a maximum permitted duty day of 19 hours. There is also a possibility under certain circumstances to increase the duty period by two hours if unforeseen circumstances arise before takeoff (117.19).

UA895 is blocked at 15:55, and factoring a 1:20 report time for the crew, a two-hour delay already exceeds a 19h duty period. With deicing delays expected (typically 45 minutes to an hour, and likely longer today) even if the crew is willing to go and exercises the 2h provisional extension, they turn into pumpkins once the duty day is going to exceed 21h and they aren't airborne.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:11 pm

We can thank the "regulators" for FAR117. The new rules leave very little room for delays, it will cost the industry hundreds of millions of dollars.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Under FAR Part 117, the flight crew is 'on the clock' as soon as they report for duty. With a double-augmented crew and assuming a 777 with bunks (Class 1 rest facility) that gives the crew a maximum permitted duty day of 19 hours. There is also a possibility under certain circumstances to increase the duty period by two hours if unforeseen circumstances arise before takeoff (117.19).
Thank you all for your responses. What circumstances would qualify for this extension? And who makes that call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.