Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) To Eliminate NRT-BKK (UA837,UA838) [Now gone]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: 1k
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Upthread, I wondered if a HKG<->BKK tag made more sense then trying to restart NRT<->BKK. I was actually thinking of using the 777 that RONs overnight at HKG instead of trying the 737. Is there a spare 737 in the schedule that could be used?

Speaking for myself, I would definitely prefer a 2 hour flight on a United 737 over a 6.5 hour flight from NRT on the ANA back-wrenchers.
I think there are already too many flights on that route.

On Hong Kong Air you can buy a one way for about $70.
Air Asia the same.
I don't think UA could compete.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
Neither des UA.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA doesn't really chase local traffic on those tag flights. They're looking to sell the TPAC with a seamless Asian connection. UA often doesn't even make business class fares available on the intra-Asia routes except as part of a TPAC itinerary.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I think there are already too many flights on that route.

On Hong Kong Air you can buy a one way for about $70.
Air Asia the same.
There is also a lot of demand for the HKG<->BKK route.

A random check for 2 weeks out for HKG->BKK shows $212 for Hong Kong Air in economy. Thai is at $301. Cathay $367. These all seem like reasonably profitable one-way fares for a 2 hour flight.

On the same dates, SGN->HKG* is showing up for as low as $61 direct (Jataya airline..?) United does not show up at all in hipmunk search results on this route, yet they are running a 737 tag on that route.

Last edited by goodeats21; Oct 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm Reason: *Originally mistyped "BKK"
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
There is also a lot of demand for the HKG<->BKK route.

A random check for 2 weeks out for HKG->BKK shows $212 for Hong Kong Air in economy. Thai is at $301. Cathay $367. These all seem like reasonably profitable one-way fares for a 2 hour flight.

On the same dates, SGN->BKK is showing up for as low as $61 direct (Jataya airline..?) United does not show up at all in hipmunk search results on this route, yet they are running a 737 tag on that route.
You are right, big demand.
All depends of course on when you go.
I am going in early December and both HK Air and Air Asia are around 500 HKD or $65 one way HK to BKK. My UA flight arrives around 8pm and the HK flight to bkk is at 10pm, so a good connection time.
Singapore is another option, but the most efficient flight the last time I took it gets there around 1am. So in the past I have had to rent one of those rooms at the airport, then leave in morning for bkk. For me, it just seems too long.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: RVT 1K
I was going to post in the "who is leaving UA" thread but since most of my travel is to BKK thought I would put this here.
Have not stepped foot on one UA flight this year, I was one of the vocal critics of the BKK flights getting axed as it was my main destination. For the last year and a half been burning miles, buying miles to fly F or C on Cathay and Eva. All better experiences and schedules than UA.

Just got off CI...took a gamble as I could not find a lot of reviews. Price was good, booked right off their website for WELL UNDER $3k in C.

Blown away...just finished one of the smoothest BKK-LAX trips I have ever had. Great flight and crew to TPE, new 77W from TPE to LAX with awesome reverse herringbone seats, decent food, JW Blue, nice mid cabin bar/lounge, happy and pretty staff and friendly pursers that came up and personally introduced themselves and wanted to know how everything was on both flights.

United who?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Just got off CI...took a gamble as I could not find a lot of reviews. Price was good, booked right off their website for WELL UNDER $3k in C.
Surprised you didn't find too many reviews - they are out there, and support your high opinion of them.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
I was going to post in the "who is leaving UA" thread but since most of my travel is to BKK thought I would put this here.
Have not stepped foot on one UA flight this year, I was one of the vocal critics of the BKK flights getting axed as it was my main destination. For the last year and a half been burning miles, buying miles to fly F or C on Cathay and Eva. All better experiences and schedules than UA.

Blown away...just finished one of the smoothest BKK-LAX trips I have ever had. Great flight and crew to TPE, new 77W from TPE to LAX with awesome reverse herringbone seats, decent food, JW Blue, nice mid cabin bar/lounge, happy and pretty staff and friendly pursers that came up and personally introduced themselves and wanted to know how everything was on both flights.

United who?
Of course. In comparison, I just checked the price for UA SFO-TPE in business. $4,687 (P class). And that is with 2-4-2 seating and just to TPE.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Are you talking USD from US-BKK r/t through NRT? Fares are easily around $5500 and you can fly NH the whole way (if you don't care about lifetime miles) and get all the UA pq/rdms. Doing it BKK-US r/t is even cheaper.
It's when you want to fly TG from the connecting airport that it seems the $ gets jacked up.
United replied and said that they are unable to offer Z fares from Seattle with less than 10 days stay. This is despite the fact that they offer them from SFO and many other west coast cities! I guess it's going to be DL on this route for me.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Of course. In comparison, I just checked the price for UA SFO-TPE in business. $4,687 (P class). And that is with 2-4-2 seating and just to TPE.
CI also charges a premium for n/s flights (most airlines do).
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Melodsal
United replied and said that they are unable to offer Z fares from Seattle with less than 10 days stay. This is despite the fact that they offer them from SFO and many other west coast cities! I guess it's going to be DL on this route for me.
I don't know when you are flying. I picked a random 9 days in Feb and if you want to keep it in *A to credit to UA you can do:

SEA-ICN-BKK OZ for $3700
SEA-TPE-BKK BR for $4600

Compare to SEA-ICN-BKK on DL/KE $8300 or SEA-NRT-BKK on NH/NH for $6300.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Melodsal
So Why don't you get a cheapy 2 hour flight to SFO and potentially save a few grand?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So Why don't you get a cheapy 2 hour flight to SFO and potentially save a few grand?
Add four hours in the air plus connection time on the ground to a flight that's already fourteen hours (on those days it doesn't cancel for mx)? Time for an OAL.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by warreng24
Dear UA,

You've been announcing new routes like crazy this past week (SFO-China, SFO-TLV, SFO-AKL, etc..) and you're now resuming ATH.

How about resuming BKK?

Pretty please.
I emailed the company a few months ago on this issue and actually got an excellent response.

After identifying myself myself as a GS member whose primary destination is BKK, I asked whether the company had any plans or desire to return to the BKK market. I pointed out that the ANA NRT-BKK was a dreadful experience, even on their new 787's since they chose to install non-lie flat seats in business class.

The company replied to the effect that:

1. UA would not be returning to BKK in the immediate future as their financial forecast for the market was still pretty tough.

2. The company was very interested in returning and hoped the fare environment from the US to BKK would improve after TG withdrew from LAX this fall.

3. Specifically, they hoped to launch SFO-BKK.

4. In the meantime they suggested I use TG 380 as a connection from NRT instead of ANA.

I was happy I got a reply at all. I responded that I'd love to use the TG 380 as a connection, but that the UA website almost never offered it. I know because I search this route every single week of my life. The one or two times I saw it, the price was outrageous. In fact, the website more often offers a Cathay Pacific than a Thai connection! I said this was nuts, they aren't even Star Alliance.

Shockingly, I received a reply to my reply. The company said the TG connection issue appeared to be a commercial issue, not a technical issue and thanked me for making them aware of it. They said they'd work on it, but it would take some time.

I certainly hope they put SFO-BKK on the schedule. As an EWR passenger I'd love to do PS out to SFO and then on to BKK.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting reply; thanks for sharing, Acastus! ^
I gotta believe over medium-term BKK will come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.