Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Digital Redesign Update: Next up, a new iOS mobile app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Digital Redesign Update: Next up, a new iOS mobile app

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by zmaniacz
Boy this would look great on my WinPhone!
(Ehhh? Ehhhhhh?)
Ha, that was my first thought, too.

Lots of pretty eye candy, but I'm not sure it's as intuitive and quick as the old app. I see lots of places where I have to tap to expose things that were visible without tapping in the old app (like my list of trips, my upcoming boarding passes, etc.). We'll see how it all works on my next flight in a few days...
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
With more Androids on the market, I fail to understand the yet again decision to favor iOS over Android with an earlier release
Like Symbian before it, Android is the world's largest feature phone platform. Lots of people failing to use the capabilities of their Android smartphone beyond making phone calls or sending SMS'es.

Due to the wonders of constantly improving processing power juxtaposed with reducing manufacturing costs, yesterday's junky $100 Nokia candybar phone has been replaced by an equally junky $100 whatever Android phone. Consider the pre-paid Android-powered Huawai whatever with a 2.5" screen the phone of choice by the Kettles of the mobile world. There lots of them out there.

Originally Posted by mindless
As for why United (or their IT contractor) didn't go after Android first, I would bet they the did an analysis on actual use of the app and install base and went with what would provide the largest return on investment.
Exactly.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Hmmm... Requires iOS 6 or higher, so no love for those of us still using their 1st Gen iPad. Note to UA Insider - the new design does not work with earlier iOS (the apple store tells you it won't work and offers to download an older version of the app) iPads. You seem to imply that the app will have the new design, just not the automatic re-sizing.

I guess this is just another reason to upgrade...

Last edited by tods27; Nov 14, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Surprised at the choice to consistently use lighter weights of Helvetica instead of the corporate FF Clan font. That combined with the stripe of yellow across the middle of the first screen makes me swear I'm looking at something from Lufthansa.

Overall, the design is much improved, though it's pretty inconsistent from screen to screen. And there's a ton of details that the engineers left out: no highlighted states on most tappable targets, no backgrounded network access, some screens scroll and some don't even when there's no need to, weird paging behavior among the first screen "cards", animations that flicker horribly, inconsistent gestures on the hamburger menus.

But a huge improvement from what was before. The parallax on the plane is cute.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
So much negativity for what is a huge step forward for the app.

A couple things:
- Group number is clearly visible, which should minimize the temptation to jump the line during boarding
- The PreCheck logo is now visible on Passbook passes, which is helpful in fending off Precheck line dragons
- Remembered flight status cards resolves a big complaint I had with the old version of the app.

In general, the amount of information available within a swipe or tap is an order of magnitude better than the old app. Big improvement!

+1 on the request to default 1 passenger Economy on the Book a Flight screen though... that's definitely one regression from the old app.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It would be nice if the app produced a barcode that could be read by the kiosks. Or conversely, if the kiosks could read the Aztec code of the mobile BP. Then I wouldn't have to copy in my confirmation number everytime.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
LOL. Home screen image: a pmCO 737.

"No plane too small, even for your iOS 7 device!"

For iPhone 4/4s it's an RJ.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Love the, however I wish the wish map would still display vertically instead of horizontally. Less scrolling - that helps us standbys out!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nethead25
- Group number is clearly visible, which should minimize the temptation to jump the line during boarding
Hahaha. The only thing that will fix that is gate agents who enforce those group numbers.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
but on the iPad it looks like a native app now
The iPhone looks like it's permanently zoomed in...
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Haven't tried to update but given the recent "enhancements", I'm truly shocked to learn United isn't charging for the app.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What the heck is this app. This has got to be one of the most confusing things I've ever seen. I cannot figure out what the heck is going on, it's too busy and all around terrible. This coming from a 25 year old who is pretty good and up to date with technology
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vkng
A million times this. There are a lot more Androids in the wild, despite what the reality distortion field may lead you to believe.
If limited to 4.4/KitKat then the market size is small. But I'm looking forward KitKat update for my Samsung Galaxy S4 -- a bit more than a toy some Apple folks seem think it is.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
FYI, Q400's now have double the seats, check out today's flight 3874 for example.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
LOL. Home screen image: a pmCO 737.

"No plane too small, even for your iOS 7 device!"
How disappointing. Smallball lives on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.