Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award Booking Question: ATL to the Big Island

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:23 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite

Dear Experts,

It has been two years since I did award tickets... so long before all the UA/CO changes.

I am looking to surprise my partner with an award trip to the Big Island for our anniversary in November. We would be travelling from Atlanta on Nov 16 returning on Nov 23. I was looking at flying into ITO and out of KOA. I would want to do first class.

I was wanting to get the IAD to HNL UA145 on Nov 16. Want to maximize the longer flight in first class... 10+ hour flight.

Currently, they are not offering any award seats in first class even though there are plenty of seats availability.

Anyone have any knowledge when seats might be released? I do not want to book the award in first class on that route unless we can get it on those legs... not worth first for ATL to IAD.

Appreciate any insights.... or other routings if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

William
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by wharvey
Dear Experts,

It has been two years since I did award tickets... so long before all the UA/CO changes.

I am looking to surprise my partner with an award trip to the Big Island for our anniversary in November. We would be travelling from Atlanta on Nov 16 returning on Nov 23. I was looking at flying into ITO and out of KOA. I would want to do first class.

I was wanting to get the IAD to HNL UA145 on Nov 16. Want to maximize the longer flight in first class... 10+ hour flight.

Currently, they are not offering any award seats in first class even though there are plenty of seats availability.

Anyone have any knowledge when seats might be released? I do not want to book the award in first class on that route unless we can get it on those legs... not worth first for ATL to IAD.

Thanks,

William
I'm not an expert, but always willing to try to help. I do see saver awards nonstop from EWR to HNL available on 17 Nov. As far as waiting for IAD-=HNL to open I have never seen anything but random openingsuntil 3 days before departure, when sometimes something opens up , perhaps an expert flyer notification would be helpful?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Wildbill,

I had seen that flight... but the same problem, no saver award in first class....
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I booked BOS-KOA on a saver F award for 9/15 awhile back. No other routing available meaning no 3-class plane. BOS-IAD-SFO-KOA with IAD-SFO on a 2-class 763, all narrow-bodies on the return. If you aren't dead-set on flying real int'l C/F it shouldn't be too hard.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
There's no schedule for the release of saver first.

Check every day, or get an EF subscription and set up an alert.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Dear Experts,

Thanks,

William
ORD, IAH, and DEN also have longer-length widebody flights to HNL. Or just break up the trip a bit and go through LAX or SFO...much more likely to get saver F.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I can find saver first... but was hoping to get on one very long flight vs the shorter 4/5 hour multiple flights... I will keep checking. Thanks for the advice.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Dear Experts,

Thanks,

William
Have you tried ATL-EWR-HNL? It should remain as a pmCO BF seat on a 764 for the foreseeable future. Book HNL-KOA via HA separately. You can get some pretty cheap fares if you book them far in advance.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks.... trying to surprise the partner is becoming a big pain... he just called me.... has to move our vacation by a week due to hospital commitments... ugh... and not seeing saver first awards available leaving on Thanksgiving day... ggggrrrrr!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, partner surprised me last night that he had to change vacation. Now he is taking the week after thanksgiving off. And, of course, there are no saver awards available travelling on Thanksgiving Day and returning November 30th. So much for the surprise.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, partner surprised me last night that he had to change vacation. Now he is taking the week after thanksgiving off. And, of course, there are no saver awards available travelling on Thanksgiving Day and returning November 30th. So much for the surprise.
Sounds like it's still a surprise. . .for you! I'm with others - try booking through SFO or LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.