Community
Wiki Posts
Search

747 on SFO runway during Asiana crash

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
747 on SFO runway during Asiana crash

Didn't see a thread on this - but in news videos I saw a UA747 on the parallel runway. By the looks of it, it was queued for takeoff when the crash occurred and the takeoff was aborted (it looked to be a few hundred yards down, so if it did start takeoff, the abort was within the first second or two. In any case, from the looks of it the plane sat there for hours before the runway was cleared to taxi (and likely return to gate). Anyone know anything about this? I can only imagine what it would be like to be sitting inside watching things unfold, and then waiting for hours and hours to be released (or take off!)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brarrr
Didn't see a thread on this - but in news videos I saw a UA747 on the parallel runway. By the looks of it, it was queued for takeoff when the crash occurred and the takeoff was aborted (it looked to be a few hundred yards down, so if it did start takeoff, the abort was within the first second or two. In any case, from the looks of it the plane sat there for hours before the runway was cleared to taxi (and likely return to gate). Anyone know anything about this? I can only imagine what it would be like to be sitting inside watching things unfold, and then waiting for hours and hours to be released (or take off!)
There's at least one passenger on that flight who I think reported in.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I believe it was UA885 to Osaka. I know this only because the ATC communications have been on the news several times..the pilot of UA885 alerted the tower that he saw people had come off the plane and were walking around and that some of them looked like they were in distress... and the tower said something like "United 885 heavy, help is on the way".

I have no idea how long they sat there before returning to the terminal.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
flightaware would suggest that this was the right flight... ~3 hours delayed

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U.../RJBB/tracklog
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
flightaware would suggest that this was the right flight... ~3 hours delayed

The crash was on 7/6, not 7/7. From the 7/6 report, it left the gate early at 11:04am (supposed to leave at 11:15).. but arrived at 7:08am (supposed to arrive at 2:10pm the day before)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The crash was on 7/6, not 7/7.
OOps you're right. Here's the tracklog. Looks like it never took off, and sat on the tarmac for 14 hours before moving.

Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The aircraft was indeed UA885 for KIX, and the pax remained onboard for a few hours before the aircraft was towed to Gate 101 and deplaned. Reports I have heard from the flight crew indicate that the cabin crew did an excellent job reassuring passengers, contacting families of unaccompanied minors and handling what must have been a very stressful situation, given that most pax on the left side of the airplane had direct view of the crash. After several hours (more like 3, not 14), the flight was brought in under tow, canceled and offloaded.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The plane was towed back to the terminal sometime in the afternoon.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:55 pm

OOps you're right. Here's the tracklog. Looks like it never took off, and sat on the tarmac for 14 hours before moving.

No it definitely returned to the gate.. sitting on the tarmac that long is illegal without triggering big compensation to passengers..plus the crew would have timed out. Flight aware just doesn't reflect that.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:04 pm
Suspended

No it definitely returned to the gate.. sitting on the tarmac that long is illegal without triggering big compensation to passengers..plus the crew would have timed out. Flight aware just doesn't reflect that.
I highly doubt had they sat out there that any fine would have been imposed.Unless UA was given the all clear to tow it and instead just let them sit. Im sure everyone wanted that plane out of there ASAP, but they would 1st have to make sure there was a way to tow it where they didnt have to touch any parts from the 777, since it might compromise things. Also going over some metal parts etc can leave you with some flat tires etc So as long as UA or the Airport checked to make sure they had an all clear to tow and did so once they got the all clear, I dont think it would matter how long it was sitting out there.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I highly doubt had they sat out there that any fine would have been imposed.Unless UA was given the all clear to tow it and instead just let them sit. Im sure everyone wanted that plane out of there ASAP, but they would 1st have to make sure there was a way to tow it where they didnt have to touch any parts from the 777, since it might compromise things. Also going over some metal parts etc can leave you with some flat tires etc So as long as UA or the Airport checked to make sure they had an all clear to tow and did so once they got the all clear, I dont think it would matter how long it was sitting out there.
I read elsewhere that the pax were onboard for 3.5 hours...
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There is extensive discussion of this and reports about on the main thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ul-2013-a.html
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
I read elsewhere that the pax were onboard for 3.5 hours...
My pt it could have been 6.5, any plane wasnt going to be moved until it was safe to do so, not only in regards to the plane and its passengers but to those on the ground dealing with the 777 as well.

After all it was an active runway under the control of ATC, so UA (or any carrier) could have been stupid and constantly ask if they can go fetch their plane, until ATC said Go theres nothing that can be done = no Fine for any plane sitting out there for any length of time that they may have had to sit there.

The fines come into play when the plane is under the control of the airline and they just let it stay there. I would assume maybe wrongly that if a plane taxis away from its gate and a storm hits and does not get ATC clearance to return to a gate then no fine, if they get clearance to return but dont for whatever reason then they can be fined.

If Flight 111 by XX is waiting to take off and its approaching 3 hrs out there and ATC told everyone waiting , anyone who wants to return to a gate can do so and they chose to stay put is alot different then ATC denying anyone permission to move anywhere at all and telling everyone to sit pat.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No it definitely returned to the gate.. sitting on the tarmac that long is illegal without triggering big compensation to passengers..
Lengthy tarmac delays in the USA do not trigger compensation to passengers unless operated by an EU-member carrier and destined for the EU. The carriers can be fined but that is a very different issue.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
Lengthy tarmac delays in the USA do not trigger compensation to passengers unless operated by an EU-member carrier and destined for the EU. The carriers can be fined but that is a very different issue.
are you saying if ATC told say LH 112 to stay put and 6 hrs pass before being given permisssion to return to a gate, that the EU will demand compensation to all the passengers.Or that depending on why they sat may result in compensation but if ATC ordered the plane to sit then no compensation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.