Wiki Posts
Search

Return leg add a stop in the middle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UMP Silver and Marriott Platinum
Return leg add a stop in the middle

My original itinerary is ORD -> MSY and then return MSY -> ORD. I have already completed the first leg of my itinerary and wanted to change my return flight to stop in SFO for 2 days to visit my brother:

From MSY -> ORD

To MSY -> SFO (2 days) -> ORD

My ticket is the refundable economy. Should this be possible?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
What fare class? If Y, you should be able to do this easily with minimal cost.

If other fares, even if "refundable" it will be a lot of money to change this.

Might be best to just book MSY-SFO-MSY - but if you're wanting to do this now, remember SFO is a little crazy right now.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Jeez, is MSY-SFO-ORD a permissible routing on an MSY-ORD fare?

Sure, it should be possible to change your ticket. It may cost money (change fee plus fare difference between your proposed trip and your current trip).
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Run the numbers both ways. 1) What does it cost to change the current ticket to route via SFO? 2) What does it cost to refund what's left of the existing ticket and purchase a ticket MSY-SFO-ORD, perhaps at a non-refundable fare bucket?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
If it is a refundable ticket, why not apply the ticket to a new ticket? This would be an open jaw - MSY/SFO//SFO/ORD - I'm sure you already know this.

If you do find an agent who will book this the way you want it, you can take the non-stop UA 305 which arrives at 10pm. For layovers, only a maximum of 4 hours is allowed. (If I am wrong about that, I am hoping my fellow FTers will correct me.). A two-day layover, I can't imagine you would be allowed to do this, but then again the refundable ticket may allow this. Otherwise, they would only allow you to take the next available flight to ORD and because the next flight to ORD is the following morning you could overnight - maybe that's the max they would allow.

Let us know what happens, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

UG

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Jul 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.